Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will the 3.0 clutch kit fit on a 2.5 milano ?
are they the same or is the 3.0 better/stronger of a kit?
what is a good price for a kit in canadian dollars?
do the gtv6 s have the same clutch as the milanos?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Same-same on the Milanos...

The older OEM GTV6 was a twin-disc setup - not worth a **** if you ask me....

Complete OE brand new Milano clutch assembly = 700 plus USD...

Don't bother - call Andrew Garcia and just get the clutch (unless you have killed your pressure plate.)

Replacing just the clutch is fine. Machining and/or replacing pressure-plate will require rebalancing the unit.

Consider lightening the entire unit by about 20-25% after replacing the clutch plate ad then rebalancing the entire assembly as unit while you're at it - you'll love the gains and it will really help sifting.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Machine the rear flywheel and then rebalance the entire unit...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Why would you have to balance "as a unit"? Shouldn't the flywheel, pressure plate and disc all rotate independently?

The pressure plate rotates with the driveshaft? The flywheel rotates with the transmission inputs shaft? and is the disc afixed to anything or does it just do it's own thing until pressure is applied from the pressure plate onto the disc thus pressing it into the flywheel?

Or is that all hogwash? :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I believe the twin clutch is much better than the single 3.0 clutch. I have twin clutch on my GTV6, and you can feel the difference from my Verde 3.0L single clutch.

Giorgio

·
Richard Jemison
7,188 Posts
Balancing.........

:rolleyes:
Why would you have to balance "as a unit"? Shouldn't the flywheel, pressure plate and disc all rotate independently?

The pressure plate rotates with the driveshaft? The flywheel rotates with the transmission inputs shaft? and is the disc afixed to anything or does it just do it's own thing until pressure is applied from the pressure plate onto the disc thus pressing it into the flywheel?
Echo Leader......

Echo , you may "think" but the statement above tells me you don`t before you type.:p
STUDY UP!
If it rotated independently it would never move the car..... The disk is attached to the input shaft. The correct way to balance is to "zero" balance all components, so that fitment at one point is not necessary, or so spares or replacements can be balanced indepently.

·
Richard Jemison
7,188 Posts
twin or single?

The single disk milano clutch is simpler and easier to disengage. But it is larger in diameter (OD) than the Twin disk assembly, and at the same weight has more rotational inertia. The twin disk is able to handle more torque, but the 2 smaller stock disk are as bad on the syncros as the larger 8.5 inch clutch.
The Twin can be lightened as much as the Single, and lighter aluminum center disk would make it easy on the syncros. With that modification done it is my choice.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Richard,

Funny! I realize that they have to make contact, I'm not a drooling idiot. :D However, when disengaged they are free to spin independently. Thus no specific alignment of the pressureplate relative to the disc and flywheel is ever ensured. To that end, I was poorly implying just what you said. Each component must be balanced individually. There's no point in balancing 'as a unit' (meaning all those components in one alignment) due to the fact that they may never 'align' again as balanced.

Glad you've confirmed my original thought though. I was worried that I'd misunderstood the whole thing somehow. And in the future, I'll attempt to spell out my thoughts a bit better. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after 1 month of working on the car once every 2 days at my high schools auto shop i am proud to announce i have finally finished the job. now that i know how its done i could could probably do the job in 8 hours or less.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There's no point in balancing 'as a unit' (meaning all those components in one alignment) due to the fact that they may never 'align' again as balanced.
Well, the pressure plate and flywheel could be balanced as a unit, since they're physically attached to one another. Similarly, the shaft and rear can be balanced together since they're attached. But, as you observe, the "rear half" and the "front half" move independently, so balancing them together would serve no purpose...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Slightly off subject ...

I've got a couple of extra assemblies from several donor cars. Is there a way to visually identify the single from double disk assemblies?:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts