Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Trying to pull off the clutch assembly from an '88 Verde (alfaparticle's old one that I bought from the person he sold it to...that gentleman basically killed it and left it for nothing more than a parts car).

Following the manuals, where I am at from the picture, I believe the clutch assy. should just slide off. Cannot determine what I need to do. Hesitant to use heat/force because I want to use the clutch in a GTV6 project.

I searched the BB and did not come up with any answers to this specific problem. Any help is appreciated.

Thnaks, JP

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
clutch

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like clutch fork is still in place. Push the clutch assembly back in and remove- slide out- the clutch fork.. Clutch will not come out if fork is still attached.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought I had it disconnected properly and it did not feel like it was binding. I will try that and advise. I appreciate the fast reply.

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
That was a brand new clutch assembly from Centerline - almost $1k. Hope it is still useable.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The clutch fork has to be removed and the clutch assembly slides off the transmission input shaft. I would not take the assembly apart because it is balanced by the factory. I would try to use the clutch and see if it works. I have two Milanos and one of them was purchased new in 1988. The clutch lasted about 90,000 miles and would not release due to a worn out pressure plate.

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
I would not take the assembly apart because it is balanced by the factory.
Or mark the pressure plate and the flywheel clearly before you separate them so that you can put them back together the way they are now.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! Will not pull whole addy apart, dropping it in to a GTV6.

Ed, clutch looks good. It was working as I was driving the car to its final restng spot when the engine died.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Thanks everyone! Will not pull whole addy apart, dropping it in to a GTV6.

Ed, clutch looks good. It was working as I was driving the car to its final restng spot when the engine died.
JP

I highly recommend separating the assembly to inspect and at the very least to clear out dust. Ensure disc isn't seized to PP or flywheel, clear out dust, check for burning, failed rivets, etc. It's only a few minutes of work and is a lot easier than doing the labor over again. Buy a $10 alignment tool for ease of reassembly or you can use a properly sized deepwell socket wrapped with electrical tape. to do the job.

Don't be afraid to separate the assembly. Just do as Ed suggests, and mark the flywheel and PP parts. I use a sharp, small punch to make a couple of marks rather than paint as paint can wipe off if you're cleaning. If you find buildup of clutch disc material on the PP or flywheel, use green scotchbrite and brake parts cleaner to remove the deposits. Use a circular motion, not back and forth. Then, once looking nice n clean, spray off the clutch disc w/ brake parts cleaner as well. When ready to reassemble, add a touch of grease to the spot where TO bearing clips into PP, and also a touch on the clutch disc splines. If TO bearing feels at all dry or crusty it can be pressed apart and be regreased. A fresh TO bearing should offer slight resistance to turning from viscous grease. I built a jig to do separate and repack the bearings and can do it for you if you're not comfortable with it.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Rob and Ed for the advice. I will mark it and take it apart to clean. I really appreciate the guidance!!

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
**** Wait a second, JP, is that image that you posted YOURS? ***** That pictured clutch is NOT a single-disc Milano clutch. It is a twin-disc GTV6 clutch. I just looked at the photo for more than a moment and noticed this.

Next part: If your GTV6 project has a GTV6 or very early Milano gearbox (i.e. 86 production or early Platinum), it should be able to utilize the twin-disc clutch. Later Milano and Verde boxes apparently had the splines cut different lengths on the input shaft and don't allow proper disengagement action of the twin disc. I haven't measured all the input shaft splines on the transaxles I have yet, but I will soon - just for curiosity. FYI. Now, IF that box is a true Verde box, it's possible that one of the discs has bound up or become fused to one of the plates and thus the other disc was exposed to higher wear potential.

IMPORTANT: the twin disc clutch has 3 big "chunks" and 2 discs. The 3 "chunks" (flywheel, intermediate plate, pressure plate) need to stay aligned. I notice that yours still has the groove aligned. AND, the 2 discs should to stay in the same clamped space where they are originally installed. Though close in appearance, they should not be the same and can not be interchanged as far as I know. You also need a longer alignment tool. Lastly, don't be surprised if you find that one disc is severely worn and one is rather new looking and/or fused to a driven surface.

Though a properly working twin-disc clutch is very nice indeed, they are not as reliable as a single disc unit (one of the two discs binding or fusing as mentioned). Not sure what engine or power levels you're intending on your GTV6, but a single disc is more reliable generally.

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
Hi Rob,
That clutch came out of the car that used to belong to my son in Colorado. I paid for it from Centerline and I paid for it to be installed. I have the one that came out. I never saw the new clutch but I cannot imagine that Joe sold me a new twin disc clutch for the Milano as he knew the car and I cannot imagine that a Porsche garage would have been able to install it and not have raised flags. It ran fine for a couple of years although there were not too many miles on it.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,389 Posts
Hi Rob,
That clutch came out of the car that used to belong to my son in Colorado. I paid for it from Centerline and I paid for it to be installed. I have the one that came out. I never saw the new clutch but I cannot imagine that Joe sold me a new twin disc clutch for the Milano as he knew the car and I cannot imagine that a Porsche garage would have been able to install it and not have raised flags. It ran fine for a couple of years although there were not too many miles on it.
We have not had the twin-disc clutches in about 20 years.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All,

All I can tell you is it came out of a Milano Verde. I pulled the transax myself. I appreciate all the dialogue and support..it helps with my limited experience with transaxle assemblies. I never had to pull the clutch on. My '89 Verde so never got intimate with it.

Thanks, JP

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
Clutch Pics

Hi John,
Here are pictures of a couple of clutch assemblies that AFAIK are stock Milano. Yours sure looks different.

As I posted earlier, the clutch was installed by a Porsche outfit - Poudre Sports Cars in Fort Collins. I bought the clutch from Centerline and it went straight to them for installation. I was 1200 miles away. I suppose that they could have done a swap on me but what is the chance of them having a twin plate GTV6 clutch lying around. It is mysterious.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is odd....Alfas are never short for mysteries. Wonder (yet doubt) if the PO (the one you sold it to had a swap done?

·
Premium Member
13,983 Posts
Wonder (yet doubt) if the PO (the one you sold it to had a swap done?
The probability of that on a scale of 1 to 30 is 0. He could not even put the vacuum hoses back in the right place and he could not afford to pay anyone to work on it.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am at a loss....do agree with you, not sure he could have done much.

Good news is I get to put a GTV6 -correct clutch back n the GTV6 project!

I really appreciate everyone helping on this.....trying to get more transaxle experience!

JP

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok.....now time for (hopefully) a laugh......

I was talking to my friend tonight about this whole odd clutch situation and he reminded me that while we pulled the transax from Ed's Verde, we also pulled the transax from his parts GTV6 at the same time. He also reminded me that we sold the Verde transax in late 2013 because of the newer clutch (we co-invested in Ed's Verde).

That being said, what I have been working on this week is indeed a GTV6 transaxle. I am embarrassed my memory failed me so badly within a year and a half timeframe. Let the ribbing commence.....

Sorry for all the confusion and unnecessary dialogue....I learned a lot and also felt I owed the group the story....

Now I am going back to the less confusing world of my Montreal (smile).

JP

1 - 20 of 26 Posts