Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I was in the process of looking to replace the clutch on my Milano, but was shocked at the price. A friend of mine told me about a place here in Denver that rebuilds clutches, actually that is all that they do. So, I went to see if they could help me save some money and they did. I had the pressure plate (the most expensive part) resurfaced and checked for proper thickness. They also repacked the throw-out bearing. The price for all of this was only $60. Has anyone else ever done this? It is certainly cheaper to do this than to buy new pieces. They also said they could put new material on the clutch disk for about $60. So, for about $120 I have all the pieces I need to go for another 100,000 miles (hopefully). Let me know what you guys think of 'rebuilding" the clutch.

John
1988 Milano Verde
1986 GTV6
1985 Quad Spider
1974 GTV
1974 Spider

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
They used to rebuild all the time before we became a throw-away society. I don't see a problem with it as long as you have good cores and a competent rebuilder.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dr. Jeckyl - Mr. Drive; It's a Hobby

I had a double disk clutch rebuilt.

I recommend it.

Have the assembly balanced as a unit when complete.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I actually have two complete clutches which I rotate. When I need a new one I just get the unused unit rebuilt so they can be swapped... saves on the down time!

I do have to report that rebuilt clutches don't have the same life as a factory unit for some reason!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys:

I was in the process of looking to replace the clutch on my Milano, but was shocked at the price. A friend of mine told me about a place here in Denver that rebuilds clutches, actually that is all that they do. So, I went to see if they could help me save some money and they did. I had the pressure plate (the most expensive part) resurfaced and checked for proper thickness. They also repacked the throw-out bearing. The price for all of this was only $60. Has anyone else ever done this? It is certainly cheaper to do this than to buy new pieces. They also said they could put new material on the clutch disk for about $60. So, for about $120 I have all the pieces I need to go for another 100,000 miles (hopefully). Let me know what you guys think of 'rebuilding" the clutch.

John
1988 Milano Verde
1986 GTV6
1985 Quad Spider
1974 GTV
1974 Spider
Hello John,

Can you supply the name of the company who did such a good job with your clutch rebuild? I am in Canada, however I could sent it to them as it would be Worth it.
Thanks,
Claude

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
You are lucky, as I've never had a rebuilt clutch work after a while. they just get jittery when engaging.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Rebuilt clutches are common here in Yurrup.

I've been putting them in small Fiats for years and one I fitted to a Croma (a sort of cheap Alfa 164) outlasted the rest of the car.

A complete clutch for a FWD Fiat like mine is about $50. Makes you wonder how they do it for the money.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I have two Milanos and the clutch lasts about 100,000 miles. The clutch will not disengage and the pressure plate is worn out. I know that the clutch assembly costs about $800.00, but maybe you can rebuild one for less. The cars are becoming harder to repair due to the lack of replacement parts and will disappear from the road. I live in Los Angeles and see very few Alfas on the road. I hope that Alfa returns to the US before long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm resurrecting this topic to get some guidance. I believe my car needs a new clutch as the engagement point in the pedal stroke is very high and it will slip if I give it the boot while going into second gear. I have not yet pulled it out to see but am first doing research and came across this thread. I have called a few places around town. One said they can't get the parts to do the job, another quoted me $2,000+ and the other said they could do it, "For probably a few hundred dollars." I have never serviced a clutch so I want to make sure that I'm actually asking shops the right questions and not making them thing this is a bigger job than it is. Am I correct in telling them that I want my clutch "rebuilt" and what I need is to have my flywheel resurfaced and new clutch plates installed? I'm wondering how the earlier poster managed to get this done so cheaply?

Finally, I'm curious what other parts should be done with this? I've been looking at this guide and am thinking I'll need to do the following:

Clutch pivot bolt (If it seems worn out - how would I tell?)
Front clutch bearing
Rear clutch bearing

·
Premium Member
14,553 Posts
You should be able to get a friction plate re-lined for less than $100. That might be the only thing that needs replacing. An Alfa mechanic who has done this job many times before will be able to do it in much less time than a generalist mechanic and the bill will reflect that.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The clutch job in a Milano isn't difficult compared to modern FWD cars. With a properly designed exhaust, it takes no more than 1 hour to bring out the clutch and 1 hour to put it back on. The clutch flywheel can be sent out to be resurfaced and a new friction disc can be installed.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
Give us the contact info. for this company, website, phone number. I can ship a bad clutch anywhere to get the service you claim.

·
Premium Member
14,553 Posts
I looked up clutch and brake in the yellow pages and found a guy in town. Most cities have one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It looks like Performatek does the work too. I'm new to Alfas but they seem like a highly respected source and $245 seems somewhat reasonable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Its worth checking the flexible hose going into the clutch slave cylinder from the steel pipe. If its the original one it could have collapsed inside keeping pressure on fork and causing clutch to slip. This is much cheaper and easier to replace than a new clutch. Only problem can be that flexible pipe connectors rust onto the solid pipe, causing solid pipe to twist and break, well did on mine, so then had to change clutch pipe under car. But I no longer get clutch slip in 2nd.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Automotive Friction 503-855-3670 or 503-353-7595. They rebuilt one for me and put carbon fiber/Kevlar on the disc. It worked great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts