Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving the other day I depressed the clutch and there was a distinct snap and the clutch pedal went to the floor. I had to pull it back up by hand. I limped home in 1st by shutting off at stop signs and starting in gear. About halfway home, more by habit, I pressed on the clutch pedal and it was very firm and high. My clutch was always firm; but,now it's very firm and disengages high up on the pedal stroke. It used to disengage low to half way through the pedal stroke. I checked the slave cylinder and everything is in its right place. No fluid leaks, rod in place.
I had the circlip that holds the slave cylinder in place break once, and there was the loud snap and the pedal going straight to the floor. That's not the case this time. The clutch seems to be working;but, I have no idea what the problem might be. Any ideas?
This is an '87 Silver with a 3.0 and a 3.55 LSD transaxle.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
It sounds like the clutch pivot pin broke. Not super common but well documented. Replace with new pin and check your fork for excess wear. If fork worn it will excessively stress/wear the new pin.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I had the same problem with my Milano. The clutch would not work, and the pivot bolt broke in two pieces. I was able to change the pivot bolt without removing the clutch. I even purchased a clutch fork and extra pivot bolt, but the pivot is usually the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I've never had to work on the clutch so this will be a new adventure. Always something!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it was the pivot bolt that broke. The ball at the end broke off. Surprised the clutch still functioned!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts