Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know how I can get detailed instructions on performing a clutch disc, and front drive shaft donut replacement on my Milano
Gold. My father, a real Alfisti is warning me not to try to tackle it myself for fear that I may throw the whole system out of proper balance, but I am young, dumb, and full of....and want to give it a shot...

plus im having difficulty finding a shop in Vegas to do the work other than Italy service who Im tired of dealing with...

I heard there might be some posts on the board of how to do the job...

can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I would sujest that you do your best to get a workshop manual. Even an Alfetta manual will be more helpful than nothing.
Also, do much searching of the BB and GTV6.com. Both full of helpful threads and helpful people.

Don't be scared off by your Father. Real Alfisti needs to be tempered with real world mechanical knowlege. Most people rant on and on how the tailshaft turns at crank speed and so need to be well ballanced, but few people bother to realise that any tailshaft in any car will turn at or above crank speeds when in 4th/5th/6th.
I wanted to post a link to Greg Gordons sight, but it is currently unavailable.
He has some very useful insight into Alfa 2 piece tailshafts and guibo's (rubber dognuts).

I say arm yourself with as much info as you can find, all the tools you think you will need and have a young and enthusiastic crack at it. All mechanical things are pretty logical when you give them enough thought as to how to take them appart and put back together.
Play it safe (put the car on propper axle stands and make sure you have a good trolley jack), and learn as you go.

Best of luck to you ;)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have a Milano manual I will check to see if it has the clutch and drive shaft job in it. If so I can send you some copy's.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You'll get by with a little help from ye friends!:)

·
Registered
513 Posts
The only real "trick" to replacing the clutch is dropping the front of the transaxle (and crossmember) by jacking up the dedion tube.

Don't forget to disconnect the shift linkage by removing the rollpin near the transaxle.

So far as the tailshaft goes, just make sure you mark everything and put it back the way you found it and you shouldn't have balance problems.

It really isn't that hard a job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you to all of you who replied...I want to get a hold of some shop manuals, get the car up on jacks and go from there.

thanks again,

ARoc
87 Alfa Milano Gold
93 Porsche 968
05 Mazda 3 (great little car).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts