Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so center muffler has bitten the bullet. badly. big hole. sounds good but too loud. painfully loud. ok, so here are the specs:

2.5 V6 milano with ansa rear muffler
stock cat, downpipe and headers

and so, after this loud loud period, i think i could stand just about any volume provided the resonance was gone, which i figure just about any closed exhaust will do.

so lots of people have already told me just to have a custom center section with just straight tubing and no muffler. i agree that would be the simplest except you don't live in LA where absolutely nothing is simple except the intellect of the person to which you're trying to explain exactly what you want. and also nothing is cheap, except the women.

so i've really been hesitant about going that route as soooooo much could go wrong and yet i would still end up paying out the exhaust for it. (sorry, but that's my one pun for this decade!)

so here are the options at this point. please add your own ideas as you see fit:

1) ANSA used-$120 shipped-so i would love an ANSA center to go but the shipping on the one i found is a bit much since it's in boston.

2) IAP replacement-$167+ship-ok, just not worth it in my eyes.

3) Bosal-$105 shipped-pretty good deal on this one but never heard anyone mention a bosal for the milano--anyone running one of these?

link to it here:
Discount Car Parts Stuff - Car Accessories & Truck Accessories - Cheap Auto Parts - Car Cover - Floor Mats - Cargo Liner - 1987 Alfa Romeo Milano Muffler Stock Replacement

4) new ANSA $155 + shipping from bruce's parts bin

5) ????? any other thoughts?

thanks, thanks, and thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
You can try these guys, but I haven't order from them in a while. There prices were very good for what I needed.

Conti Automotive Group
Conti Auto
20-23 119th Street
College Point, NY 11356
US
Phone: 718-358-1541
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
738 Posts
Find a good muffler shop and bypass the stupid thing. I ditched mine ages ago and never looked back. Just make sure they weld up flanges so you can get at the shift linkage without cutting and welding [cause you know you'll need to access it sooner than later :)]. IMO it is not _that_ much louder.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Find a good muffler shop and bypass the stupid thing. I ditched mine ages ago and never looked back. Just make sure they weld up flanges so you can get at the shift linkage without cutting and welding [cause you know you'll need to access it sooner than later :)]. IMO it is not _that_ much louder.
x2 = agreed

I eliminated my center muffler about a year ago. Sounds the way it should.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i'm gonna try and find someone local who is willing to weld and just put some pipes in. any reason to do it differently than the factory (minus the muffler, of course?) i mean is there a better way to merge or larger diameter? i'm guessing the factory did it right with the Y as far back as they have it and of course going to larger pipe won't do much good considering the pipes out of the cat and after the Y aren't gonna change. unless i just pitch the whole center section and have them make it custom.

my predictions for when i try to have this done:

1) "uh, what kinda car is this?"

2) "oh, you got to put a muffler in there. otherwise it'll be too loud. no, i don't wanna do it unles you put a muffler in there. i have my own brand on sale for $89.99 and i'll weld it for free."

2) "uh, where's it from?"

3) "uh, no, i don't have the proper size tubing for that--you gotta use italian sizing!"

4) "alfa romero, huh? where are the rear brakes?"

5) "um, i can do it, but not until 5 hours from now and it'll cost $300. that's custom work!"

6) "was it rear ended? is that why the muffler broke? looks like it's been hit from behind by a truck or something!"

7) etc. etc.

ok, maybe i'm wrong but after 15 years living here (and i came from tennessee but at least in TN, they WANT to help you.) here in LA, they just want to get thru the day with as little work as possible. and as little thinking. or no thinking if it's a perfect day.

ha ha, oh well, at least the women are beautiful and the weather is great. can't have everything.

but i've reached my limit for the unmuffled alfa V6. it is just too painful now. i love it for the first 5 minutes and then i'm wincing from the pain. mostly because in LA you're always stuck behind some idiot in a prius going so, so slowly. but that's another rant and you only get one per thread from now on....

·
Registered
172 Posts
i got the cisna replacement from Iap and it was queit at first but now it sounds pretty much like my ansa system with a lil less rattle lol.

Both center and rear are IAP and they look alot better built then the crappy ansa that rusts out in a year.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've had good luck with Bosal on VWs. The fit was good, etc.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So finally got it fixed. Went with the muffler delete and 2 pipes welded in. but it cost me $100 which seems like a lot but my ears couldn't take it anymore. And just loving the sound. It's not loud at all, in fact I kinda miss the old sound. It's a fine line between pleasure and pain!

But it's also easier to drive and I swear the tranny is smoother. Ok, I know that's not possible but since the engine runs so much smoother down low, it just makes the shifting easier.
I made some videos before fixing it so I'll post them when I can so you guys can hear it.
Thanks for the help and reassurance that it wouldn't be too loud.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And a pic of the carnage:

IMG_20110528_144948.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts