Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The electrical gremlins have struck again! This time it's the windscreen wipers. Problems: No intermittent function, and no stow (park) position when turned off. The wipers will work in the intermittent position, but they will not pause as they should for a few seconds between sweeps, nor will they park; the wiper arms will stop immediately wherever they are on the windscreen when turned off with the multifunction switch on the column. The low and high speeds also work fine, but they will not park either when turned off. The column switch is sending power to the wiper intermittence relay in the fuse box (which BTW is NEW, as I thought this surely was the fix, but alas, did not resolve the problems). Power is obviously going out to the motor from the relay as all three modes (intermittent, slow, and fast) all drive the wipers back and forth across the windshield. The windscreen washer mode also works as it should, but again, no park position. The shop manual troubleshooting section states either "replace the stopper" or "replace the motor" for the symptom of wipers not returning to the park position. There's no other mention of a "stopper" in the manual. I assume this "stopper" is likely a part of, or attached to, the wiper motor. My experience with wiper motors is that the park position is usually inherent in the motor circuitry. Meaning, I need another motor. Can anyone please confirm if there's a stopper somewhere other than inside the motor? I'm getting quite good at timing the sweep of the wipers with the off switch but this is my daily driver and it's a bit annoying.

·
Registered
64 Posts
there is info on this out there on BB, as I 've just been trawling through it all! I think, in the motor gearbox section there are 'brushes' that run on tracks and one of these tracks acts as a 'breaker' to stow the wipers in the park position. Maybe one of the contacts isn't, or the INT track is broken in some way.

Pulling the wiper motor out is not too hard, so have a look and it will make more sense.

have fun!

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes a lot of threads here regarding wipers stopping randomly; but the vast majority are related to the 105 series foot switch-equipped cars or later series Spiders. What I have gleaned from all of them is that there is usually a constant power wire to the motor that operates the park function, and that the park function is likely resident in the motor assembly, but for the Milano, I don't know. In the Milano shop manual this is called a 'stopper" and I'm wondering aloud if anyone knows the location of this stopper.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well spent a lot of time today trying to determine if it is the switch or the motor. Unfortunately, the Milano shop manual wiring diagrams, schematics, and pin outs don't always match the actual car wiring or configuration. Even the "How to use this manual" section had a glaring error. It's so bad at times I could not decide if I was frustrated or amused. I'm throwing in the towel and going with the wiper motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts