Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took delivery of a nice Verde equipped with Bilstein’s and understand that Koni’s may offer a more compliant ride for road use. I’m interested in swapping or purchasing the Koni’s outright.

The B’s are clean and I’ll try to get pictures when the car goes up on jack stands this weekend.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Got holsteins on.mine and ride is pretty smooth. Have you driven it and don't like Bilsteins or you are biased against them from other experiences? I used to think all yellow holsteins were just too harsh for street, because of my experience with them on Golf GTI many years ago

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was only able to manage one good 35 mile backroad drive before the roads were heavily salted, so we're in hibernation now until spring. The ride wasn't so bad but a bit harsher than I'd like. During the post-purchase inspection my Milano expert suggested that the Koni's may be better suited than the Bilsteins so basing my desire to swap on that. Along with swapping the shocks I'm considering renewing every rubber suspension bushing, transaxle mount, and shift linkage bushings since they all appear to be original.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Maybe your tires are bit old, just put fresh tires on mine and it transformed the ride comfort. BTW, just finished up with all rubber replacement on mine. Check out my thread, might be interesting to see what I went through to get it vibration free. I think you can swap shocks without dedion removal?????

·
Premium Member
13,094 Posts
I owned 2 Verdes, one with Koni yellows and the other Bilsteins. I much preferred the Konis.

SPAX are good and more easily adjustable.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I would ask if it has aftermarket rear springs and front torsion bars installed already, or even a super stiff sway bar. I've had a Milano with Bilsteins and it was fantastic. Maybe just drive it for a bit in the spring, see how it feels after some miles.

Cheers,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,863 Posts
Bilsteins are bad and you should feel bad for liking them :D

No, but seriously, they're terrible on Alfas. The GTV I just bought has them and they ride terribly. I have Konis coming in the mail.

I put Koni yellows on my old Milano Gold and they were the bomb on that car. Stock t-bars, stock springs (with an inch cut off), Verde front sway bar, light 15" alloys, and a few poly bushings. That car rode great and had incredible handling.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I swapped Yellow Konis out for Bilsteins on the Milano and prefer the Bilsteins. I prefer a firmer ride.

The Konis are in the garage attic. $100 for the set plus shipping. PM me your e-mail and I can send pictures. They aren't new and pretty. I rewelded a mounting stud on one of the rears. But they are cheap and functional.

Mark

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies on this...

Zaza, Couldn't find that thread you referred to - link?

Tires are about 4 years old with plenty of tread so I'll run those for a while, but I know what you mean about ride improvement with new tires.

Vintagemilano, good point about the possibility of aftermarket components already installed. Everything looked original while up on the lift, but worth a 2nd look.

Mark_toro, I'll hold off on taking your old Koni's but will keep them in mind. Need to figure out an overall plan it seems.

Next decision...poly vs. rubber bushings?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Never had an issue with poly bushings and 105 caster joint conversion on either car. Well more than 100K miles on the GTV6 with this configuration and 60+K on the Milano.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I've posted this elsewhere, but the Bilsteins offer superior body control on especially difficult road situations at the expense of harshness over low amplitude high frequency imperfections.

Konis ride soft, there's no question. You're more likely to hit the bump stops it seems. Ride comfort with the Koni is quite nice.

I run Bilsteins on Mostro and Meatball. Mostro is bit harsh but it handles very well. Meatball has more tire sidewall and the ride is pretty compliant. I have Konis on one of the other GTV6's...it's pretty comfortable with regular tires.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Though I'm leaning towards the Koni's, based on everyone's very helpful comments and opinions I've decided to go ahead and replace as much under-car rubber/poly as practical over the winter, then next spring assess the ride with the current Bilsteins.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
Height of the tire sidewall has a lot to do with the comfort of the ride.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. I swapped Yellow Konis out for Bilsteins on the Milano and prefer the Bilsteins. I prefer a firmer ride.

The Konis are in the garage attic. $100 for the set plus shipping. PM me your e-mail and I can send pictures. They aren't new and pretty. I rewelded a mounting stud on one of the rears. But they are cheap and functional.

Mark
I would be interested in the Konis if still available. Please send some pics to my email [email protected] Thanks

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Mines are yellow Konis with red Shankle springs and 201/50/15 Conti Extreme Sports. Ride comfort is similar to a modern German sports/performance harshness, but tires had a lot to do with it. On older, drier rubber small road imperfections were coming right into the salon, now it's much quieter. And those tires are incredibly good at everything, besides wear (350AA I think), but don't drive that much to be an issue for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts