Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Mig with Gas. See weld. Opinions.

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  SOROKOS 
#1 ·
If you have any experience about welding.
See my weld, and tell me your opinion.
I believe, is there more speed than better result..? I don't know.
Tell me if you understand.
(my machine, Mig Telwin 180A, with gas).
Thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Turn it up until if you pull the trigger for ~1 second you blow a hole in the metal. Then either turn it down slightly, or learn to pull the trigger for less than a second.

In thin sheet metal you weld by tacking, not running beads. Eventually your tacks join and the joint is welded.

If you weld like 3mm plus thick you can keep the trigger pulled and push a long seam weld and it should look like this ...?
Pete

Attachments

#9 ·
Hi mate your wire speed is a little too fast and your amps are too low. Just play around till you find the sweet spot. PSK has given you good advice.
By the way the sweet spot is different for different metal thicknesses.
Regards John.

#10 ·
First of all, THANK YOU, for your answers !! :smile2:
And YES. You have right!
I tried again, with more power, and just a bit lower wire speed.
Very-very Better !

(I weld for first time on the car. For that reason, I tried not to damage the sheet metal with holes.
I observed, that big problem, is 'Earthing'. Best connect with body, means best welding.
It depends from the earthing cable and the contact with body. And whole circuit, machine contact-cable-contact on body.
And if the body is under corosion, the resistance is too high, that means, topically you want more curent!
I think very important, perhaps the most important thing-problem, in this type of welding).

@and Metalart: the kind of gas is: 82% Argon and 18% CO2. and wire 0.6mm, (0.0236in).

#13 · (Edited)
One other word of advice. After completing what you think is a full run of beads, shine a flashlight on the welds (from the opposite side) and look for pin holes.....you will most assuredly have a lot of them. You will need to go over those areas next. This is best done at night time with the lights turned off.

#17 ·
Also try a stitching motion, almost like making little loops that overlap. Kinda like you're sewing the two pieces together. That and greater heat should help. And don't forget that it's a balance of wire speed and heat, so sometimes you need to tweak both a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.