Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY current issue is my middle boot staying on the transmission.
See image below.

When I took my 86 engine/trans out for rebuild the boots were almost glued together by time. The one clamp that holds the outer boot is easy (and was there), the one clamp (that I don't have) that holds the inner boot to the transmission just doesn't stay on. IF I would have known of this, I probably would have ground in a better groove for the boot to take hold. I have yet to go purchase a new clamp, one that maybe I can tighten differently. At first I tried a wire-tie but it just fell off after the first shift or two. My second clamp only lasted a bit longer. Without a clamp, I can already see that fluid is coming over the top onto my nice clean transmission.

ANY SUGGESTIONS from somebody who has solved this?

I didn't replace my BIG boot or hard almost plastic piece that goes under the metal housing, I just cut out most of it as it was really crispy. I figured that keeping the seal around the metal housing and adding the middle boot, then the outer shift boot there is no way smoke or exhaust is getting in the cab.
Thanks in advance, Kirk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Hello,

I have just changed my boot and same as you, it keeps popping off and causing a leak.

Did you figure out a good way to keep it on?

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shift Tower Boot Clamp "lockdown"

Vin
I ended up taking off the four bolts for the large metal bracket to better access the shift tower. I then used two hose clamps connected together and made sure the boot was down over the lip on the tower and clamped it down tight. Reason why I used two clamps, I didn't have one large enough at the time.

Don't know what happened to the original clamp but I've owned the car for ten years so it's been missing for a while.

Works great and now I have no transmission lube smell in the car!

Then you'll need one more large clamp for the big boot to the black bracket.

Both of mine were full of holes. I guess that's what you get after 150k of fun shifting! Kirk

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
kirkovision,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I also removed the metal tower for better access and using a new clamp.

It took a few times to get the clamp to stay on as it kept sliding up and off.

I thought that I had it on tight enough, but i guess not.

I will try again tonite to get it to stay on and down tight.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now one thing of note:
The diagram above only shows one boot. It does show the inner boot.
You should have two boots - inner for the first seal around the transmission and then a second larger accordion boot that fits over the metal shroud.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Now one thing of note:
The diagram above only shows one boot. It does show the inner boot.
You should have two boots - inner for the first seal around the transmission and then a second larger accordion boot that fits over the metal shroud.
Yes, I have both boots.

Its the inner for the frist seal around the transmission, exactly as in your picture in post #1 that keeps popping off.

I was thinking of glueing it down as well somehow.

Such a PIA to get at.

Vin

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Get an innertube for a wheelbarrow tire and cut two strips out of it - maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inches wide. So basically you now have a couple really thick rubber bands.

Clean the top of the gearbox religiously until there isn't a trace of gear oil making things slick, just clean aluminum.

Slide one of the rubber strips over the end of the gearbox

Now slide the shift boot over the first strip

Slide the second rubber strip over the shift boot

Secure the whole shebang with safety wire twisted good and tight in place of a clamp. I've heard of narrow CV clamps being used with good results as well.

I fought this problem on my Giulietta for a long time before coming across this method on the Yahoo 750/101 board. Worked great.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
I got mine to stop leaking by getting a box of 2 inch 5/16th wide hose clamps and putting two together. They have to be thin enough to stay below the lip of the gearbox housing and on top of the side gear change vents. I also cleaned everything with brake parts cleaner and then put some permatex ultra grey gasket maker around the top of the gearbox for insurance. No slips, no leaks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used loctite no. 3 aviation sealant just around the tower and on the bottom ring making sure not to block the drainholes and so that the steel plates still shift freely. I waited for it to congeal slightly before using a cable tie around the middle boot. I've checked it since and it's still tight.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I guess the purpose of the inner boot is to flow the gear oil back into the gearbox reservoir..... but how "loose" are the two curved steel plates? Is there any gasket or something putting downward pressure on the plates or can they ride freely up/down a bit?

Meaning, if I wanted to, I could lift both plates about 3/8 inch. Just wondering if I am missing anything per diagram #1 above.

Just curious. I am replacing my dual inner boot (7" with 3.5" inner) and then the outer shift boot while I have the console out for re-covering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts