Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have a good source for a set of 4 Michelin Tires for a Montreal? The stock size is 195/70X14 but I'd consider up to 205/70X14. I think Coker Tire in TN may carry them for $$$.

I found some Michelin Defender Tires on feeBay that are 'T' rated (~110 MPH) which is faster than I usually ever go; should I consider them on not? I believe the stock tire rating is 'V' for a 137 MPH car.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Vredestein sprint classics are excellent. Very happy with the performance and they have the right period-correct look. They are a high-performance speed rated tire with the vintage look, without the outrageous cost of the XWX or other Michelin variants of the era. If you have a show car, fine. If you have a nice car that you don't want modern looking tires on, you have 3 choices:

1) Vredestiein Sprint Classic (excellent street tire, lowest priced)
2) Avon CR6ZZ (for dual purpose or vintage racers)
3) Michelin remakes from Coker (nice performers but outdated and $$$)

Several cars in the family happily ride on Sprint Classics, both with and without inner tubes. Got the tires from Vulcan Tire (great vendor).

The difference between decent tires and really good tires is substantial.

·
Push hard and live
9,651 Posts
Wellllllll, the GTA replica wheels in 15 X 7 give some nice alternatives, and they're not all that pricey.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard all good things about the Verdestein Sprint Classics. They do look a bit 'more vintage' than the car though. I just like Michelin Tires and have them on almost everything that rolls, including the bicycle. I guess that IS 'how we roll' but price is a consideration and I rarely ever see any triple digit speeds.

I believe the 205/17R14's would fit but also increase the possibility of breaking the steering box; always best to let the car roll, forward or backwards as you turn the steering wheel.

Still looking,
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts