Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are right I don't get it either, and I haven't gotten one beauce or their price! They want $56K for the GTA........... not from me!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cars outside the NAFTA region are priced higher! But hearbroken I would rather buy a BMW, MB or even an Audi or Volvo at a higher price than an Alfa. Alfa has only two small dealerships with no service shop. They claim they have one in the other end of town (where I live) and that they have plans to build you know how many.

They also have the slaesman sindrome (they all do). They told me that the rear brakes were "ventilated", I asked how? We'll the air goes in therfore it "ventilates" the SYSTEM..........?? I worked for an OEM brake systems manufactures for 5 years, 3 of them in Detroit......... I know brakes! After I asked how could that be posible, he just said I know notheing about the brand.......??

Bottom line, cars are more expensive here in Mexico but I'd rather buy a brand that has more to offer than an Alfa. In the inside I am dying to get a GTA!!!

Regards,

·
Administrator
12,127 Posts
Probably meant that the rear brake discs were of ventilated design, thats all.

Many cars have rear discs that are of ventilated design, ie. they are cast so there is radial holes between the two friction surfaces ... thus allowing air to pass through the disc and cool it.

Fairly useless unless there is a need (rear brakes doubt it, for a road car anyway) and an air supply ...

Pete

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Pete,

I did look into that, nope. He claimed the "system" was vented…. wrong. Then he said the disc............nope solid one no slots no holes. The fronts were vented!

The sad thing is that they want to "trick" or lie to a possible customer into getting something they are not getting. Then they tell you the "price"..........JA!!!

Regards,

·
Administrator
12,127 Posts
Yes very sad ... only take a little research to get this right wouldn't it.

Pete

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello all
One difference between bringing cars to the US and bringing cars to Mexico is the US Government agencies that must be dealt with.
Having worked in the European car conversion business, I can tell you that the headaches and plain old BS are not worth it unless there is a lot of money involved OR you have a partner who knows the DOT and EPA people and has mega resources to throw at the certification process.
The problems with importing cars to the US are not about making the cars compatible they are about getting the paprework cleared and getting over the fact that some Federalies don't want another importer to deal with and would just as soon you get tired and go away.
Besides giving Alfa real pull with a national dealer network, GM could be enormous help with gov.
MrC

·
Registered
699 Posts
VW could certainly make a major difference. I just don't see where Alfa fits in the VW world. But I am not making the decision am I. So if VW gets involved, yes they can do the same amount of good as GM.

In my opinion, what needs to happen if the US is going to be a part of the global economy is that the US Government has to reverse its roll. Instead of blocking entry of nonconforming cars being the primary roll, they have to start helping the manufacturers to conform. But that is a whole nother horse.
MrC

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I would think that VW could do a better job than GM, of bringing Alfas to the U.S. market. VW probably has a better reputation in this country than GM. Hell, GM might try to rebadge the new Spider/GTV as the "new" Camaro. Check out the "new" Pontiac GTO made by Holden down under.

Now if VW could ever get over their electrical problems. How many of their German made products have you seen with messed up tail lights and/or third brake lights. The New Beetles assembled in Mexico have a better build quality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts