Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This of course is not Alfetta/GTV6 specific, but... I'm looking for a hand type metric nut rivetor which includes 4m 5m 6m 8m mandrels. If it also comes with those rev nuts - especially 8m's - that would be nice.

Also, has anyoone found steel rev nuts that are somewhere between flush and surface? The flush ones are too prone to coming out and the surface ones are too thick.

Yes, picky, picky, picky.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Check out avkfasteners.com I've used some of their products in the past with success. It of course requires proper preparation, installation, and not expecting a 5lb riv-nut to hold 10lbs of uh, stuff.

basic hand tool with interchangeable mandrel/puller sae/metric several styles of riv-nut

Think it came from McMaster-Carr or Grainger.

aircraft-spruce has a slick looking alternative to the pliers type tool.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xray, I had checked out rivetsinstock.com, but did just a quick check and it looked like they only carried SAE stuff. Checked again and they do have metric. Thanks.

86spider, I checked out both and apparently one has to 'build' the 'insides' after buying the installation tool first. I'll probably get McMaster-Carr's 'set.

However, if you click on the Grainger tinyurl, it comes with rev nuts, then do you have to buy the separate mandrel/nose pieces? It looks like there are more items in the box but it isn't mentioned that the mandrel/nose pieces are included...or not.

I don't need a rev nut 'system' often, but when I do, sure is nice to have. I'll probably also buy a bunch of rivetsinstock serrated stainless and aluminum rev nuts. However, what would be best in general, for say M6's - a grip range form .070-.4.20mm or 4.20 - 6.60mm - or some of each?

Again thanks,

Rivet Nut Kit, Stl and Alum, Metric, 75 Pcs - Thread Insert Kits - Thread Insert - Fasteners : Grainger Industrial Supply

McMaster-Carr

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
riv-unt tooling

Biba,
I inherited my AK series hand-tool in an empty case. Never knowing in advance if the needs of my next project would be SAE or metric, panel thickness, etc. I have purchased the pieces I needed as required by the task at hand so I just have a couple mandrels

I would rather have a complete set on hand and then make the best choice for the application but $$$ always count.

re: Grainger - it looks like in the picture, and makes sense, that the kit would include the mandrels for the supplied pieces.

If you don't know what you will be working with I would get a range of grip options. Having to wait for a shipment of 10 or 25 little pieces so I can use 2 of them just adds to my frustration, but you seem to have an idea of what you will be working with.

Success is dependent upon having everything just right. So if you are not in the optimum grip range, hole diameter, hole roundness, etc. performance will not be optimal. In sheet metal I drill a small pilot hole and work my way up to the final diameter so as not to end up with a sloppy hole.

I have also used PEM fasteners from Penn Engineering on some projects. If you have a press you can do some slick work putting steel threads or studs into aluminum.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
86 spider, since I restore Alfa's for a living (18 years) it pays to have tools at hand when the need comes up. In this case, I might hold off a bit because my immediate need is to install four 6mm steel riv nuts. I modified a close size mandrel on my Harbor Freight rivetor to install these. I will definitely admit to buying inexpensive tools that I'll be using only occasionally. Unfortunately China hasn't figured out that a 'few' of us in the US use metric tools/fasteners

1 - 6 of 6 Posts