Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone besides myself notice how the metal throttle end links don't provide the same degrees of freedom as the original plastic ones? This--as in my case--impairs the ability to achive the proper stop-gaps with the Spica pump (assuming the rods are of the proper length). The metal end links prevent the throttle linkage from being angled to the same degree permitted by the plastic ones. Anyone come up with a workaround for this? Lengthening the rods beyond spec to achieve the proper gaps?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Not aware of any problems with the metal ends? They seem to fit on the 'balls' in the same way. They have (well the ones we sell do) an internal metal retaining spring clip rather than the old external spring clip of the plastic ones. There are also later style plastic clips available which may be of interest to you as an alternative, but I can't say I've noticed any difference on my carb GTV with the metal clips.

Make sure that you have everything adjusted properly, with clear actuation of the throttle mechanism and that you are getting full opening of the throttle mechanism when you fully depress the pedal too.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
Anyone besides myself notice how the metal throttle end links don't provide the same degrees of freedom as the original plastic ones? This--as in my case--impairs the ability to achive the proper stop-gaps with the Spica pump (assuming the rods are of the proper length). The metal end links prevent the throttle linkage from being angled to the same degree permitted by the plastic ones.
Wow, I'd think the easiest fix would be to just get the plastic ends designed to work on the Spica system. While the metal ends are probably more durable, and look more original for carburetor linkage, I guess the plastic parts work better with Spica. International sells them for $5 apiece. I'll bet your problem is at the lever on the back of the injection pump, where the rod comes in at an angle.

·
Registered
what part?
10,677 Posts
try this.. go to your local auto wrecker( self serve is cheaper, and look for any mbz diesel or volvo gas/ diesel mid 70's to early 80's cars.. the have lots of metal rod ends on the cars.. the mbz's have 8 -10 of them on the motor for there throttle linkage,,

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Or you could make a few clicks on the computer and order some plastic OEM pieces, delivered to your door, that will last for decades like mine have.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The binding definitely occurs at the pump lever end. Thing is ... I wanted to purchase new OEM plastic ones, but none of the vendors I use stocked them. I never thought to check with IAP.

·
Registered
336 Posts
if you want metal ends, go to your local Volvo dealer

Volvo dealers sell them for 240/740/940 throttle linkages. Nice little jobbies they are too. Now I've told you all a secret! Best, John

·
Registered
558 Posts
My 2 cents euro at least:
I've also gone back from the metal ends to the plastic ends. The metal ends I had been using were bought new, were greased, and didn't have more than about 10k miles on them, yet they have a sloppy fit on the balls, compared to a tight plastic end. You also are (obviously) restricted to a full turn adjustment rather than a half turn. That can either be no problem or somewhat of a problem depending on how fussy you are. That being said, I do carry spare plastic ends in my toolkit in case one breaks. If you have a bunch of used plastic ends on hand, check their fit to the balls one by one to get the best. Then you can always carry some of the looser ones as spares.
Just my approach.
Cheers
Neil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts