Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were Giulia sprint GT Veloces (105.36/37) always delivered with metal based taillights? If not, only the early ones?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My '66 GTV was built May 27, it had metal tail lights. When I restored the car I replaced them with the plastic ones, I still have them if someone needs. Peter.

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
Were Giulia sprint GT Veloces (105.36/37) always delivered with metal based taillights?
Yes, early stepnoses had metal bases, later ones had a "chrome" band around the plastic lens, as well as a plastic base. I don't know when Alfa transitioned from one to the other, but the cut-outs in the sheet metal are the same so you can interchange metal and plastic.

As a bit of trivia, no one seems to be remaking the US-style, all-red lenses for the metal bases (at least to my knowledge).

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
Thanks! What are they: Altissimo or Carello? US red of EU lenses?
The red/red, metal base lenses on my 105.02 were made by Carello. When I restored the car ~15 years ago, I was able to find good used lenses on ebay; don't know how I would replace them today.

That's the extent of my knowledge: I don't know whether Altissimo also made lenses for the metal bases, or who made the lenses for the plastic bases.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I believe both Carello and Altissimo were supplying lenses for the metal housing type, the Altissimo ones were made in two parts while the Carello were one piece. I also think that the all red lenses for USA market was available from both of these companies. From what I noticed the Carello brand is harder to find than the Altissimo version.
Tim

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have US spec Carellos used with plastic housings on my Euro 67 GTJr, I would love to find a set of Euro spec lenses to replace them.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,351 Posts
I have US spec Carellos used with plastic housings on my Euro 67 GTJr, I would love to find a set of Euro spec lenses to replace them.
You should probably buy the NOS lenses that classicalfas offers in post #9 because a) they're NOS and b) they come from a BB member.

However, be aware that Euro lenses for plastic bases ARE being reproduced. Classic Alfa (see part #'s LT018 & LT019), and no doubt other suppliers show them on their websites. It's the US lenses for metal bases that hard to get, though as f4driver points out, Franjo may be making them

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I do not have any Carello Euro lenses. I only have the Altissimo’s. 2 NOS right side and 4 NOS left side. I also have one NOS left side complete assembly. Altissimo lenses will not fit on Carello bases.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
BTW Classicalfas, all of your lenses shown are for the S1, '68ish 1750, not 1600 cars. These S1 1750 lights are slightly wider & were only on early S1 1750s with the cross-over air filter.
Vince.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts