Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Del sold me Richard's old trunk lid today. And Del also gave me a ton of great information about my car. Very grateful! Thank you, sir.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
No problemo. glad to help whatever/whereever I can, which actually isn't THAT much, lol. You got a nice relatively low mileage rust free car with a great deal of potential. Once you get several things squared around, you are going to really love it.

Did confirm that the tops of the trunk lid struts were causing fender damage on at least one side. Try using the nylon strap between the hinges to pull them together away from the fenders as a temporary fix.

The rear clip I used for mounting the S trunk lid spring rear end is just a 4 inch length of 1x1x 1/8 aluminum angle with 4 1/4 inch dia adjustment holes drilled in the vertical flange that the spring will hook into. The angle can be either bolted or riveted onto the bottom side of the trunk opening side rain gutters, two or three fasteners, sealed with paint and RTV. I used short pan headed (to allow the trunk seal to work correctly there) 3/16 inch dia bolts, head on top. They have to be short enough to allow room for the spring hook underneath. Locate the forward end of the piece of angle exactly 16 inches back from the very lower aft side corner intersection of the rear window chromed trim pieces. I hooked the S spring rear hook in the 2nd hole from the front of the angle.

If you look at the Fiat eper parts, "trunk space cover", you can see how the trunk lid hinge is assembled, and how to change the lower part of the hinge which receives the forward end hook of the spring. While you will need S springs, you can use hinges from any 91 B/L/S which used springs. You do not need to access the hinge attachment in the rear corner roof pillars. Just change the lower parts.

Also, the Sunpro oil pressure sender I mentioned is the CP7577 model (bought mine off eBay), using a 22 ohm resistor in line, as determined by Roadtrip (thanks), to give a more or less correct reading at somewhere around a cruising rpm of about 3000. It has ever so slightly different threads, SAE versus metric in the head, but it screws in nicely far enough to not leak or damage the threads, so don't worry about that, but don't force it, just nice and tight. Should give you about 50-55 psi at cruise hot.

If your 24v car uses no (or little) oil, I would probably say to use the Mobil 1 15-50, or Liqui Moly 10W-60 (which is what I am using, same price from eBay, ~ $9-$10 qt), or Valvoline VR1 20W-50 ($~6.50/qt) if you prefer dino oil. All of these have the higher levels of antiwear compounds, in contrast to the newer Castrol 20W-50 which we all used to use.

Read the manuals and the eper and you will be an Alfa toolie/wrenchhead yet, lol. Don't be afraid to try things out.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good stuff Del

Thanks for the amazing recap Del.

I'll start asking around for the spring set up from an older 164. You convinced me.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"You convinced me"

No, it was the obvious fender damage that did the job. I think you and your mechanic should be able to do the job; otherwise, bring it on by when you have the parts, and we can do it together, since I've done it already to my LS.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
This has always been a pretty good area for Alfa through the decades.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trunk lid update

Del - the trunk lid might get painted this week. Not 100% sure how we'll resolve the hinge issue yet. I'm giving the shop a crack and evaluating and proposing a fix first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts