Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have the rubber sheath to their speedo cable melt from exhaust heat? The original cable withstood the furnace blast pretty well, but a new one I purchased melted / blistered after 2 drives. The metal cable surround is sill entact. Are all the new ones prone to this?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
My guess is that the new cable must have come closer to the exhaust than the original. That, or your engine ground strap isn't connected and the speedo cable became a high current path to ground. This is actually fairly common. Did you have you engine out recently?

·
Super Moderator
12,038 Posts
Not sure what year your car is, but Giulia Spider Veloce's are known for this problem.
I noticed one recently where the owner had covered it with the "Chinese-finger-cuff" material in fiberglass, and painted it with high temperature exhaust paint. It looked pretty good. Not original, but not melted either.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is your cable attached to the body where it should be? Haven't checked mine in a while, but shouldn't it also run on top of the heat shield at the bottom of the car?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe mine is routed as originally intended: out the firewall grommet (in it's dedicated grommet hole); down towards the steering box while resting against the brake booster clip that holds the manual throttle cable; through the dedicated bracket / clip that's attached to the steering box front cover; down next to the base of the steering box; above the forward heat shield; and a 90 deg. exit into the transmission.

Is your cable attached to the body where it should be? Haven't checked mine in a while, but shouldn't it also run on top of the heat shield at the bottom of the car?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Don't rule out the speedo cable acting as an earth strap and overheating with the current. My earth strap broke off and all the earth return went through the speedo cable. One fried speedo cable.

·
Super Moderator
12,038 Posts
An interesting point!

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Yes. Check your ground strap. It can also ground through the thin wire throttle cable and get hotter than you can believe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts