Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set myself up with Harbor freight blast cabinet and 40 lb media blaster. Have a good compressor, not a huge one but a pretty standard size one, runs 110v not sure of other specs, 20 gallon tank I think.

Using 40/70 ground glass as media, using to strip suspension parts.

Set up for about 120 psi max(blaster max is 125). Filled up blaster. All valves on blaster on full, thought I'd probably have to turn down the media flow.

Getting only 5-10 sec of flow then just air. Check for a plugged line, maybe moisture nothing. Tried again, same thing. Using larger ceramic nozzle, line is about 1/4-1/3" id. Compressor doesn't recharge when flow quits, stays quite and psi still near 120 when the flow of glass stops.

What's going on here? Anyone have same setup? Is it the compressor? I'd think if so it would be recharging constantly to attempt to keep pressure up. Thoughts?

·
Push hard and live
9,620 Posts
I've had two HF bead blasters. They're good for the money.

All media blasters tend to clog at the pickup end. Paper and other contaminants can really slow the process. I routinely hold a finger over the end of the nozzle to back-blow the pressure down to the suction hose, which tends to unplug things. Moisture can be a problem, but I live in northern Nevada where we don't have any of that.

I gave up using my blaster with a hobbyist compressor. I use an 80 gallon tank with an 8HP motor running on 220. I have the compressor set at its max of 150 psig. Once I'm blasting it will drop to about 110 - 120, but at that point it can keep up with me.

Next on my "wanna have" list is the HF dust collector so I don't have to hook up my Ridgid shop vac every time I want to blast.

·
Registered
162 Posts
HF blast cabinet gun is junk! Get an upgrade from TP tools. Fixed mine right up. It will even shoot walnut shells now. You should only need 60-80 psi. More pressure only wears the media, and cabinet faster.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HF blast cabinet gun is junk! Get an upgrade from TP tools. Fixed mine right up. It will even shoot walnut shells now. You should only need 60-80 psi. More pressure only wears the media, and cabinet faster.

Jonathan
Not using the gun included with the cabinet using the Central Pneumatic 40 lb media blaster also sold by HF:

40 lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

This doesn't seem like rocket science I'd think this device would work just fine. I've found a lot of HF stuff works just fine, just doesn't last if used a lot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You need a larger air compressor, min. 7.5 hp 2stage 220v. read the spec. on your gun, 6cfm @ 60psi or 25cfm @125psi.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Jones- ditto on the bigger compressor. The old rule of thumb is 4 c.f.m. per horsepower w/ electric motor power. Gasoline power is appreciably less.
Different sized nozzles for the media gun are usually available if it is from a major manufacturer. You need more volume/c.f.m., so size the nozzle according to your air supply- you will just have to work more slowly using your existing compressor.
Also: 1) try running the glass bead in the 60 to 80 p.s.i. range for longer life. More than that will simply reduce it to dust faster than necessary. This is FMHEE.
2) make sure your air supply is DRY- use a moisture trap. If not you will constantly have media clogging issues as suggested earlier.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
You can get by with a smaller compressor, it just takes a while for it to keep up if you are doing large areas. On small jobs your comp. is fine.
I have a ScatBlast cabinet and dust collector. The guns are simple. Tip size and media size is important. Did you read up on using a blaster. Might check UTube for a tutorial....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts