Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the new cylinder head to replace the cracked head in my 1986 Spider. So I'm replacing the cracked 1986 2.0L head which uses a solenoid operated VVT cam with a 2.0L head which had mechanically operated VVT.

My understanding is that the solenoid operated VVT cam will drop in where the mechanical VVT sat, as long as I use the newer cam cover.

My question is: do I use the cam shaft caps from the old head or new? How about the tappets/followers? Use the ones on the replacement head or the old ones?

Thanks,

Duke

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Finally got the new cylinder head to replace the cracked head in my 1986 Spider. So I'm replacing the cracked 1986 2.0L head which uses a solenoid operated VVT cam with a 2.0L head which had mechanically operated VVT.

My understanding is that the solenoid operated VVT cam will drop in where the mechanical VVT sat, as long as I use the newer cam cover.
Should be fine.

My question is: do I use the cam shaft caps from the old head or new? How about the tappets/followers? Use the ones on the replacement head or the old ones?

Thanks,

Duke
If you have all the cams/followers ( buckets ) from the donor head, you should use these [ and in he same places they came out of - hope they are marked somehow ] - otherwise get all new buckets. The cams from the new head have made themselves at home with the bucket each lobe has been with, and a change may cause you to have to check/adjust/check/adjust the valve clearances until new wear patterns are developed. If at all.
As far as the cam caps are concerned, I would use the caps that were on the the head the cams you are using were/are on.
You can't go wrong with new followers ( and prolly shims as well ), but if you're on a budget...

Just sayin'.

·
Administrator
17,770 Posts
The cam caps (bearings) stay with the head they came from and in the positions they were in originally. (they should be marked 1-6 but offhand I forget which is #1 and which is #6 etc).

The tappets (cam followers) stay with the camshaft they were originally mated with and in the positions they were in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts