Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! Am building a 2 ltr. based on an '84 block and earlier head, then going into my 69 Euro Spider (Weber-carbed). If I use the 84 timing cover, I get the spin-on oil filter, but it has no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. I can't revert back to a 1750 timing cover, since there is no (now necessary) block-mount for a cartridge-style oil canister,
Does this mean I have to put together an electric pump set-up? What would this look like? Do I use a universal one? Where to place it?
A related question - does my glass bowl FISPA fuel filter (see photo) have an internal pressure regulator - I'm thinking of that screw on the top of the casting?
Also, should I use my original 1750 speedo gear housing in my new water pump to hopefully keep the speedo reasonably accurate?
Thanks for any input.
rsj

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,013 Posts
Do you have a FISPA regulator? It does have a diaphragm to dampen fuel pulses, electric or mechanical. It also carries a filter, and has a sediment bowl. Can't ask for more. Now you need a low pressure Facet electric pump mounted in back by the tank, in the fuel line to the regulator, then to your Webers. Most users connect the electric Facet pump to the ignition switch. Be sure the circuit is fused. Ignition on, pump pumps, filling Webers.
The pump needs to be mounted with the rubber insulators for sound deadening.
You want 3 psi fuel pressure to the Webers. ANY high pressure pump will overwhelm the FRB 11 regulator. Centerline has a kit.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gordon - much appreciated. Just to clarify, what I have is simply a filter with no pressure regulation capabilities? (Was it not necessary with mechanical pump and Webers?
Would I mount the new regulator setup as a substitute for the current filter, or in addition to it?
Thanks!
rsj

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I believe the Euro 2L front cover had a provision for the spin-on oil filter and mechanical fuel pump.

-Jason

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Jason's correct.

I sourced a Euro 2l timing cover (and upper sump) out of England a few years ago to convert a Spica 2l to a Euro 2l. The cover has provisions for a spin on filter and a stock mechanical fuelpump. If you go this route, make sure you also get the pushrod for the fuelpump.

·
Super Moderator
12,013 Posts
Yes, you need the pressure regulating feature. I believe Centerline and Pierce Manifolds both have one that will work.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. With time constraints, looks like going electric is the way to go, rather than hunt down a Euro 2L cover.
Appreciate the tips!
rsj

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Thanks everyone. With time constraints, looks like going electric is the way to go, rather than hunt down a Euro 2L cover.
Appreciate the tips!
rsj
It wasn't clear but I would keep the fispa and run-- fuel tank, pump (Where the hi-pressure pump is now) then regulator then fispa then webers. maybe leave the regulator out. ---just an opinion

·
Premium Member
14,776 Posts
I had a Fispa like that and it had a built in regulator. I have a Carter electric pump but if I were doing it again I would probably go with the Facet cylindrical type, NOT the square type.

·
Super Moderator
12,013 Posts
That's the one I recommend Ed. They are good quality, plenty of volume at low pressure.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Please be aware that you can't use a early 1750 front cover on a 2000 block. The oil passage occurs at a different location. That's why gasket sets come with both style front cover papers.
KG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts