Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

I have a question about the fuel system in my 65 spider veloce. The car is bone stock down to the green feul line. It runs fine except when I haven't run it in a while. Then I have to crank it for a good minute before it will start. I presumed this was due to the fuel evaporating in the float bowls and no electric pump to fill them up before cranking. I was thinking of installing a small boost pump activated by one of the ****pit electrical switches to turn on temporarily before starting. A friend recently told me I could fix the problem by just installing a one way valve in the fuel line upstream (before) the mechanical fuel pump. any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
A '65 Spider Veloce suggests a 101 type which should have an electric pump.......
Is the car an 'abnormale' ?

It is easy enough to add an electric pump and this will get fuel into the carbs right away.
Just make sure to mount the pump near the fuel tank and low so that it will operate properly.

Actually, unless the car sits for a long time, there should still be some fuel in the carbs. Maybe there is a leak or, if you have the fuel pump mounted on the motor, a loose fitting in a hose will let air in and cause bad fuel delivery and a longer time to get the carbs full.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts