Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I recently installed a new fuel pump on a '62 Giulietta with 36DCD carburetor. The carb showed signs of leaking as the main jets and holders screw into the float chamber from the outside and over a day or two would drain the chamber down to their level near the bottom. Then the car wouldn't start as the pump had lost it's prime or just couldn't refill the carb at cranking speed. So I devised this experiment, see picture below. I filled the funnel with fuel and it drained more than the volume in the hose to the pump, an amount that makes me believe that the tank had siphoned most of the fuel in the line back to the tank. So I'm thinking the fuel pump check valve(s) are not fuel tight.
I might not of noticed this if the carb hadn't been leaking as the car would have started and the pump at least marginally keeps the float bowl full when running. I'm thinking it's time to call Then and Now and rebuild a Fispa pump (with real check valves!).

Jim
San Antonio, TX
IMG_1938.JPG

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Then and Now check valves have been known not to work as designed. The check valves never wear out .. If you used T&N insist on using the originals....so I am told.. just sayin'.. I've had ONE Normale ... Best of show ...ran like crap because of the carb. Threw up my hands and packed it off... Told the buyer ... If done again >>>>>>>>WEBER... The simplicity of the Solex defies the multiplicity of problems they can hatch which translated means .. "How could a simple device have so many variables that make them impossible to live with". If forincating was made this much complicated to insert one round object into a round hole the planet would be uninhabited.

·
Premium Member
4,514 Posts
I've never heard of or had a problem with the check valves Then And Now is having made and I've rebuilt over 200 pumps in the last 20 years. I've been using theirs since ethanol has been added to fuel. Original check valves use regular rubber that will swell up form ethanol. There are also usually in a cage. So when the rubber swells it gets push against the inside of the cage. Which will cause them to stick open. Then and Now valves are open around the sides. So if it was ever to swell they would still work.

The new pumps are cheap. Who knows what the quality of the parts inside are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts