Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm about to install new liners and pistons.
I cleaned the liners "hole" and I would like to know how do you measure the correct height of the liner comparing to the engine block top edge.

Thank you,
Saar.

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
Push them down by hand firmly with no o-rings, lay a substantial straight edge across the liner top, make sure it's all square and happy, and measure the excess above the block edge, if any, with a feeler gauge. There's a factory tool for this tool, but if you're asking, I'm guessing you don't have it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
22,973 Posts
I think the standard is .000 to .002" liner protrusion, but I don't have a manual in front of me. You want a heavy straightedge that won't bend (stand it on edge).
Andrew

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe the manual says that you should install the liner hold downs and torque them to like 10 ft-lbs.

I used an aluminum bar about 1" X 3/4" X 8" long or so with a hole drilled at one end to accept the dial indicator from my bore gauge (kind of a press fit). Just zero it on a flat surface then lay the bar across the liner with the dial gauge on the block.

·
Push hard and live
11,029 Posts
Measuring cylinder protrusion

You are correct. The manual specifies measuring the protrusion with the O-ring seals in place, but it also calls out for the retaining tool to be in place and torqued to about 10 ft-lbs. One might guess that this would crush the O-ring sufficiently that the cylinder was metal-to-metal at the bottom.

The assembly procedure appears to assume that one is actually building the engine rather than just checking things prior to a final re-assembly. I would expect a non-O-ring check to be a valid confirmation that the cylinders were at the right tolerance.

Anyway, here's the sequence from the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I use a depth micrometer placed between the liner and the block. You get the same results if you don't have special tool C.6.0148 and two dial indicators.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts