Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.

Here we are. In the proper area.

Thanks again for the interest in my 1990 MB 300TE, which, reluctantly, we are going to offer for sale. It really hadn't occurred to me to try to find it an Alfisti home, but I'm really liking the idea.

I'm going to post a couple of photos here and mention the basics. I'm happy to answer any questions and email or post more photos. Just let me know.

We're the third owner of this Atlanta car, bought it with 150K on it about a month after having bought our 1988 MB 300TE (with the same 150K miles): we simply fell in love with the first and bought the second. Great cars.

This one is Smoke Silver with a Parchment MBTex interior, third seat, Euro headlamps (very nice lamps, look right and throw out some serious light), new OE wheels and new 215/55WR16 Kumhos. New Blaupunkt "San Diego" AM/FM/CD. Never smoked in.

Long list of recent/ ongoing maintenance items, as I intended to keep this one indefinitely: I was looking forward to seeing it turn 312K miles and getting the second MB Classic High Mileage Award (it comes with the first one).

For instance, I just installed new front wheel bearings, front ATE rotors, Akebono "Euro" ceramic pads, brake hoses all around and flushed the system with ATE blue fluid. Then put on the new tires and did a 4-wheel alignment.

The a/c is cold on R134a and has a new receiver/drier and refrigerant charge this summer.

I'll get a list together, but the car is ready to go.

We're wanting $5500, which is on the high side of the various books, and which number I think it's justified by the car's condition and service history. I'd much rather be buying it for that than selling it for that...:(

(I get really attached to good cars, even German cars... and this is a good one. I always picture it hauling a saddle in the back, headed out to the stables on the estate in Europe. :) )

So here are a few pix.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
thanks, i will show the pics to my girlfriend, the car looks great and well cared for

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason,

No. This is the L6 3.0 SOHC. The GOOD one. The DOHC made a bit more power but presented some issues that the SOHC never had. The SOHC is easier to work on, too.

Very nice engine: extremely smooth, quiet, adequate torque, pretty darn respectable MPG and has a reputation for going for hundreds of thousands of miles with little work. The bottom ends are particularly strong, seems 400-600K miles is not a big deal.

Parts are readily available as is service. I have two local wholesale accounts for MB and BMW stuff and find two online sellers are often as cheap or cheaper than my wholesale sources. That to say that anyone can get most everything for the cars at extremely favorable prices.

I'll get you that list soon, but I'll add (off the top of my head) a new water pump, hoses, belts, tensioners, coil, distributor, car, rotor, plugs, wires, OVP relay and more.

Still gets compliments!

Chuck

PS where in Middle Tennessee are you?

·
Registered
503 Posts
thanks chuck, i am in Murfreesboro... right off of 840 if you are familar with the area

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, we're through there a couple of times a year on the way to visit my folks in NE Missouri: Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, Mt Vernon, St. Louis and north. Also have in- law connections in Winchester, TN, which isn't too far from you, I think.

Chuck

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen,

Love to find this fine MB a nice Alfisiti home.

Feel free to PM or post with questions.

Chuck

·
Registered
503 Posts
Chuck - i tried very hard but the girlfriend is set against a station wagon....don't feel bad she dosen't like coupes either. its funny we travel to some of the same places, my girlfriend is from Olathe kansas and we are going back there for christmas, have friends in St louis and go to atlanta for track days with my friend, hope she gets a good home....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jason,

Thanks for the reply, and the "attempt"... :)

But you gotta make sure she understands that in Europe "station wagons" (that IS a yucky sounding name, after all) are given the names "Estate", "Touring", "Avant" and "Shooting Brake" (Shooting-brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There IS a difference! :D

Give a holler when you head down this way, we'll try to offer some proper Atlanta Alfa hospitality!

Have a great one! And keep 'em between the ditches!

Chuck

·
Registered
503 Posts
thanks Chuck, you know i almost moved to Georgia a few years ago, to Tucker actualy but i ended up in Tennessee instead, same goes for you if you are ever in Middle Tennessee the GF and I would be happy to show you our wonderful state

thanks and have a blessed day

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shameless bump. Very nice car... :eek:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
No relation to the seller and I know nothing about this car but I can vouch for the quality of the W124 Mercedes'. I had a 1992 300E and it was overall (reliability, comfort, quality of build, etc) the best car I've ever had and yes, that includes Alfas. I got it with 158,000 and sold it with about 168,000 (odometer broke at 162,799). It never left me stranded, the biggest thing I had go wrong was an interesting transmission leak from the pan. That aside I just did regular maintenance to it. I never thought twice about putting 600 or so miles in a day to go down to southern Utah to look at an Italian cars for sale (a Fiat 850 I ended up buying and a Berlina I passed on). They're great around town and even better on the freeway. They're simple enough that an average mechanic can still work on them (probably one of the last Mercedes to be that way.)

I replaced it with a W123 300D but even with the good gas mileage and what not, I'd go back to the 300E in a heartbeat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts