Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need one for my trans project, and just trying to imagine how they work. I mean, if you press something off, say a bearing, does the same pres "pull" the bearing back on, or pres it back on from the OPPOSITE end, as if it only presses, and not pulls, it has to go back from the OTHER end, no?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep you press it off and then flip it over and press it back on.

BTW I didn't answer your question about the sleeves on the main shaft. Those sleeves serve as a bearing surface for the gears and some also serve to retain an adjacent gear on the main shaft.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so it can ONLY press , never pull?

And when you flip it, there is a "big hole" underneath to accomodate whatever is being flipped, right?

·
Administrator
14,270 Posts
The most important thing with regards to using a press is your safety AND then that you press on the right part of the bearing, etc.

You must press on the inner race of a bearing if it is being fitted to a shaft, and the outer race if it is being fitted to a housing ... otherwise the bearing will be stuffed.

You must also ensure the shaft and/or housing is not damaged in the process.

Thus THINK before you press! :).
Pete

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most important thing with regards to using a press is your safety AND then that you press on the right part of the bearing, etc.

You must press on the inner race of a bearing if it is being fitted to a shaft, and the outer race if it is being fitted to a housing ... otherwise the bearing will be stuffed.

You must also ensure the shaft and/or housing is not damaged in the process.

Thus THINK before you press! :).
Pete
Valuable tip, Pete. I might not have thought of that, but technique is everything. I guess , like anything, practice is important, even in pressing.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, do these presses normally come with these "split" half circles Ive seen in the alfa shop manual pages in the trans section? They keep talking of these like they are a must......

Or must one but these separate as accessories?

·
Registered
348 Posts
So, do these presses normally come with these "split" half circles Ive seen in the alfa shop manual pages in the trans section? They keep talking of these like they are a must......

Or must one but these separate as accessories?
I source my press plates and bearing pullers from snapon, but good home shop
ones can be found at grangers or habor frieght. Allways wear a full face shield, over the last 30 years I've had fragments of Ferrari bearing races pass thru the shield and lodge in my forehead.:eek: Hot chicks dig scars.:D
Cheers,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Them little 6oz metal juice cans with the peel off 'pull tab'?

Yeah, if you put them unopened in a press and apply just enough pressure to get the pulltab to bulge a little bit, when opened it creates the same effect as shaking the crap out of a soda.

Not that I'd do that to anyone or anything like that, but thought it worth mentioning....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Joe Papa,

I have 3 sizes of bearing separators, like the ones shown th your transmission thread, and used them all when disassembling & assembling my mainshaft. Since you have a buddy with a press I would suspect that he has all of the proper fittings to get the main shaft apart and back to gether again.

As a word of caution, the gears & sleeves are removed from each end of the main shaft. Pay special attention to the exploded drawing so you don't inadvertantly break the flange that is in the middle of the main shaft by pressing in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe Papa,

I have 3 sizes of bearing separators, like the ones shown th your transmission thread, and used them all when disassembling & assembling my mainshaft. Since you have a buddy with a press I would suspect that he has all of the proper fittings to get the main shaft apart and back to gether again.

As a word of caution, the gears & sleeves are removed from each end of the main shaft. Pay special attention to the exploded drawing so you don't inadvertantly break the flange that is in the middle of the main shaft by pressing in the wrong direction.
whew, good tip on pressing stuff off the shaft from both directions. The shop manual "photos" are, as you know , almost worthless for that kind of detail, but Im trying to really study it. Exploded drawing should show this, i think.

Yeah, as far as bearing separators, the one you posted for Harbor Freight is a lrg one, but I guess they have a few sizes to choose.

Going to my friend's maybe Mon eve to press on!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Joe Papa,

PM me your e-mail address and I can send you an exploded view of the trans guts. It pretty much lays out the order of the gears, sleeves, & hubs on the mainshaft.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Geezer, could you send that e-mail of the exploded Trans to a second e-mail address while you are at it? [email protected] My S3 chunks a little going into 2nd and I wil be getting into the box sooner or later. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Joe,

PM sent.

Charlie D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts