Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why three mufflers, and which one(s) should I remove? Details; '74 Spider 2000, dual 40DCOE Webers, Euro Airbox/Intake (I'm not married to this and am open to switching to the standard style Webber dome filters), just looking for nicer sound and a bit more "go".

-Kristian

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The easiest, cheapest ,and the one that gives the most performance gain is to remove the rear muffler. The others are more like resonators and have little restriction. Centerline Alfa sells a replacement pipe, so you can save the muffler for the next owner:)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
George, how does that sound, will I terrorize my neighbors or just incite rice burners?

·
Banned
129 Posts
Don't allow ourself to think removing an Alfa-designed cold air intake and "switching to the standard style Webber dome filters" will do anything to increase the engine's "go".

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I switched to a straight rear pipe a couple of months ago. Hardly noticed any difference in the noise or performance.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Putting a straight pipe out back just gives it a bit more growl and only slightly more noise. Don't think it's much - if any - performance boost. The forward resonators give the engine the backpressure it needs to make good low-down torque. Probably the best thing you can do is a head job that includes big, lightweight valves and high-lift/duration cams for better breathing and a higher safe redline.

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
I found my GTV was a lot louder, especially at the low end with a straight pipe replacing the rear muffler. About the same at higher rpm, but much throatier and deepier at idle and take-off rpms.

Andrew

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
I Want my Burble Back

I just had a new NOS muffler train fit (after 38 years no less) and my nice growl/burble turned into a relative hum. Still smell the vaporized Castrol but it doesn't sound the same as a worn out muffler. Is the mounting of the Centerline unit straightforward? No home-made brackets?

·
Premium Member
21,375 Posts
I've used several Centerline exhausts and they always fit pretty much fine. No home-made stuff ever needed.

Andrew

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
:nods in agreement w/Andrew:

If you've got to fab something for the Centerline pipe, it's more likely an issue with your existing stuff, (something bent or hung funny further up), or the pipe got mangled in transit.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,030 Posts
Nah, the stock NOS set fit like a glove. I just wanted to know how much hassle it might be to fit in an aftermarket straight rear section if I chose to go that way. Sounds straightforward. I'll look around for someone nearby who has one installed and see how it sounds and put it on the wishlist. Lots of other stuff in front that really needs doing now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts