Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but how can you tell if the VVT is working or not?? I have owned a 87 Spider for about 2 years and am currently doing a valve job on it and it occured to me that I have no clue as to what triggers the VVT solenoid or how do you know if the intake cam actually responds ?
The solenoid woks when I apply 12 volts to it on the bench, but after that ??

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
When installed on the cam cover and properly gapped, try the following:
Turn the key on but engine off manually rotate the throttle at the throttle body.
If all is in order, when you reach around 55~57 degrees deflection, the VVT should kick on then stay that way 'til full throttle is reached.
Upon releasing the throttle, the solinoid should retract.

If it doesn't work, the first thing to check is the VVT fuse located in the vicinity of the radiator expansion tank.
It'll be in a red in~line holder and uses an 8 amp fuse.

If that doesn't work, then you need to start checking the throttle position switch for function.

If that's OK, then the issue is might be in the VVT harness itself.
(there's a PCB in the solinoid end that very rarely can self destruct)

If you click the 'l-jet diagnostics' link in my sig block, there is information regarding the VVT there including pix, descriptions, and how to properly set the solinoid along with checking/setting the TPS.

It's worth going over anyway as there's a PILE of information there regarding the whole L-jetronic EFI system and Motronic ignition system that your car has.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
And to see if the cam device is working, get the engine warmed up and idling, then using a thin flat blade screwdriver through the inspection hole in the solinoid mount, fully depress the button/plunger in the cam cover that the solinoid acts on.

If the cam device is working properly your idle should go all lumpy (think 60's muscle car with hot cam) and it may even stall the engine, then return to normal when the plunger is released.

·
Registered
what part?
9,991 Posts
hello , tifosi, from .......warm...sunny...california..:):)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks Darren. I will check it out as soon as I get it put back together. And yes, I anmvery familiar with 60's muscle, had a 63 Z-11 Chevy and a 71 455 HO GTO convertible among others.

·
Registered
what part?
9,991 Posts
...tifosi,, we here in sacramento, have not seen the sun in 3 weeks, we where fogged in..all day,temps, on those foggy days cold wet 38-42 degrees,, and i work out side a bit as a car( subaru) salesperson, even the customers were not coming in, we got the sun back only yesterday...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts