Premium Member
4,761 Posts
PS70, PM sent. Ciao, chris

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Hello Don,

Did you try to contact Franco Ragni for your trunk script ?

From my point of view, Giallo Paglierino body always match with black interior and anthracite carpet.

This is the perfect color of Giallo Paglierino :

View attachment 1416041

I can send you a sample if you want :laugh2:
Yes, I sent contact info to Ragni, but no reply. Very difficult to navigate their website.

AFRA has quoted the script. Interesting that, in this case, AFRA was easier to do business with than Ragni.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Corner almost turned

If I hadn't been short a small piece of pipe, I'd have pictures of the car on its side. That'll be sorted today. My welds range from pretty to gawdawful, depending upon the accessibility, my limited vision, and whether my mig wire feeder was misbehaving at the moment. I don't really care. The rotisserie is not for show.

I've got quite a growing pile of restored components piling up, mainly due to the speed of my powder coater. The air-diverter is an aggravating little thing to take apart, but moreso to reassemble. There is only one way to insert the two cotter pins, and it's like having to use long tweezers down a narrow pipe to get them to bend over. Probably the job they gave the new kid, with the guidance that all he had to do was 20 units per week to keep up with the assembly line.

Hopefully off to the paint-blaster by the weekend....

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Jay,

Both it, and the heat exchanger housing, had a slight texture. Yes, I'm used to seeing a non-texture here, but these two items, almost certainly never disturbed, were done with a texture. The one I've pictured appears more "wrinkly" than it actually is, probably due to the bright lighting. It's as close as we could get to the original.

Or perhaps you wish to claim that Touring did all of their cars rigidly the same?

Reactions: JCDK

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
Turning the first corner

I've got things jacked up in the air, at last. I'll quickly fab the caster structure today, and hopefully haul it all up to the paint-remover-blaster tomorrow or Friday. We've got remarkably good weather (low 60s!), so spraying water-borne blasting media is not so miserable as it might be in late January. With any luck, the car will be at the body shop early to mid next week.

I got the left-right balance just slightly off, so left alone it tilts down slightly to the left. I got the high-low balance much better than last time, though. I can rotate it to this angle with one hand while fixing the stop-pins with the other.

The cardboard box is the first order of stuff from CA for this project. That's a little over $3,000 worth of stuff in that little box.

Why are Alfa projects and divorces so expensive? Cuz they're worth it.

Just kidding about the divorces. Not all all worth it. I'd rather she stayed.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
A good day in the shop yesterday. I got the roti mobilized on casters, loaded it onto the trailer (thank you JP!), and hauled it down to the DMV for the required VIN check.

The nice fellow at the DMV smiled, shook his head, and informed me the car had to be mobile on its own wheels in order to get his blessing. After seeing my extreme dejection, he observed that any "peace officer" could fill in and sign the form. Ah! Off to my Crossfit gym, which is about 50% cops and firefighters. 10 minutes later, and signed form in hand, and I was back on mission.

I spent much of the remainder starting the shop cleanup. A chop saw, hand grinder, drill press, mig welder, and air cutoff tool make a big mess when turning 2" square steel tube into a structure. Next will be to further organize the many removed parts into "needs restoration" and "ready to install" storage, and staging work spaces for several different types of restoration processes. It'll be nice to get my shop whipped back into something less industrially toxic, and more functional.

By the way, I received a nice note from Dave Rundle, the Aussie that restored 01481 while completing its conversion to RHD. The museum he sold it to for a nice price is offering it for resale. At $299,000 AUD! That's about $197,000 USD, presumably with "offers entertained". We can hope.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
That price range may be the "New normal". Fantasy Junction has a 2.6 for $215,000 1964 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider by Touring

By the way, I received a nice note from Dave Rundle, the Aussie that restored 01481 while completing its conversion to RHD. The museum he sold it to for a nice price is offering it for resale. At $299,000 AUD! That's about $197,000 USD, presumably with "offers entertained". We can hope.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Well Don !

Jay,
Both it, and the heat exchanger housing, had a slight texture. Yes, I'm used to seeing a non-texture here, but these two items, almost certainly never disturbed, were done with a texture. The one I've pictured appears more "wrinkly" than it actually is, probably due to the bright lighting. It's as close as we could get to the original.

Or perhaps you wish to claim that Touring did all of their cars rigidly the same?
The discussion around the painting of the heat system seams to be a long sorry.
Like Don, mine (that I suppose they were original), was recovered with a slight texture. I assume it is asbestos fiber.

To respect as much as possible the original aspect I have made flocking :

IMG_1419 copie.jpg

IMG_1438 copie.jpg

IMG_1546 copie.jpg

IMG_1556 copie.jpg

Don,

As you can rotate your car on any position, could you please send me some pictures of this area, so I could have my answer regarding the 2nd muffler.

Roti-right-rear-tilt.jpg

Serge

·
Administrator
12,727 Posts
That price range may be the "New normal". Fantasy Junction has a 2.6 for $215,000 1964 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider by Touring
Big difference IMO between a 2000 and 2600 Spider ... one ran an engine at the end of it's production life while the other a modern at the time straight 6.

Now of course that they are both very old cars, some may find the older engine more interesting ... but I feel the high prices for the 2600 is because they are becoming the cheap alternative to Aston Martin convertibles or Maserati Spiders for those that want to play but can't at that level?
Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Serge,

There is no body-mounted exhaust hanger in the area you have circled in red. There is a bracket that mounts to the rear of the transmission. The next hanger after that attaches to the the tee-bar mount, as discussed, then there is a body-mounted tab at the rear for the tailpipe.

Only three hangers total.

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Day 50. Phase deux

I've often observed that when I die and am sent to purgatory (the more optimistic of my two suspicions), that I'll be sent to serve out my time by working in a DMV office somewhere. This is only partly due to the infinite tedium of dealing with a never-ending line of dim-witted and unprepared supplicants trying to register their childhood tricycle, or recover a revoked driver's license yanked for their 9th DUI. No, it would be for the far worse punishment of having to share an office with coworkers whose path of failed dreams and genetic destiny led them to live out the remainder of their lives in MY purgatory, without the observational skills to recognize that their presence is the punishment of those of us who managed to die BEFORE being sent here.

I hereby apologize to the staff and management of the Carson City DMV.

This organization is rare proof that a governmental entity can work brilliantly, with verve and humor, while striving to be even better next year.

One can walk in and stand in a fast moving line, or go online, to make a flexible "appointment". Both work, but I prefer using the line, as this includes a pre-check of one's documents, confirming their completeness, or providing guidance on needed corrections. After one has checked in, you can leave to go about other errands. Every so often, a text is received updating the estimated time until your turn will come up. The line ahead can go faster or slower than predicted, of course.

20 minutes before my turn was expected to come up, the text encouraged me to return. Within a minute or two of the predicted time, I was called to a window where "Sean" awaited with a smile. He was young, but spoke in clear, witty, standard English. I presented my lengthy stack of title, three bills of sale, two powers of attorney, and a convoluted explanation of how a hand-executed Texas Title from 1964 came into my possession 54 years AFTER being signed for transfer without ever being reregistered in a new owner's name.

"Sign here, here, and here. That'll be $29.25"

And so 1020401488 is now officially mine.

It was a brief anti-climax to also obtain a new "Real-ID" driver's license so I can fly commercially, on those rare occasions I might want to.

Wouldn't it be nice if for-profit doctors and dentists used a similar system, sparing hours in a waiting area scouring ancient "Better Homes and Gardens", "People", and "Senior Health" for ANYTHING of interest.

Also yesterday...

The car was delivered to the media blaster, who has promised to have it done by Monday, the paint/body guy is standing by for delivery and immediate application of anti-rust protection, I got new passport photos taken, confirmation with Stockton Wheel that the three wobbly rims are now perfectly straight and on their way back, new clutch master cylinder received, front wheel cylinders reassembled, and attended the grandson's Honor Band concert, where he was first chair euphonium for the second year in a row, and drove the hour home to much appreciated cool sheets.

A good day.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Don,
I love your prose, fluid progress and entertaining side trips. Congrats to the GS with the euphonium. Be interesting to collect all of your posts into a little booklet. Call it "The Zen and the art of Alfa preservation and restoration".

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
The media blaster guy did not get it done by today. Now he's calling for another day or two, which means we won't intersect with Kelly, the body guy, this week. Dagnabbit.

I'm going to head up there tomorrow to see if I can spur them along.

Yesterday I got the shop largely rolled over from car-dismantling and metal fabrication to parts martialing and component restoration. Phase deux.

The spare engine by itself in the storage crate has a serial number up around 3,500, which seems odd when you realize they made only 3,443 of the cars. The engine in my display case is #1815, which might be placed roughly in the same year as car 1488. PITA to get the case out of the family room, up the driveway to the shop, and the power unit pulled up out of the case, but just gotta do it, I'm afraid.

It's been nearly a month, and Borrani America has not called back as promised with a quote or answers to a couple of technical questions. I've left five messages requesting follow up. Grrrrr.

The powder coater lost one of my sway bar mounting brackets. Anyone have a spare?

·
Administrator
12,727 Posts
Didn't other models, like Berlinas, use the same engine?

Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Pete,

The car we know as the "Berlina" was introduced in the US in 1969 with a 1750, all-aluminum, engine.

The model 10200 four door was referred to in the US as a "Sedan". It may have been referred to as a berlina (small case "b") in Germany, but I'm not sure of that. It had a similar cast-iron 2000 to the Coupe and Roadster, but with slightly lower compression and a two-barrel downdraft carb.

·
Administrator
12,727 Posts
Pete,

The car we know as the "Berlina" was introduced in the US in 1969 with a 1750, all-aluminum, engine.

The model 10200 four door was referred to in the US as a "Sedan". It may have been referred to as a berlina (small case "b") in Germany, but I'm not sure of that. It had a similar cast-iron 2000 to the Coupe and Roadster, but with slightly lower compression and a two-barrel downdraft carb.
Learnt something :)

But my point still stands, ie. Alfa Romeo made more of these engines than just for the Spiders hence the high engine number may not be erroneous.
Pete

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Car in Germany

Just received this from my friend and correspondent in Germany. What little German I knew is long gone so I can't interpret the text. Thought that someone may enjoy or gain inspiration from the picture.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Learnt something :)

But my point still stands, ie. Alfa Romeo made more of these engines than just for the Spiders hence the high engine number may not be erroneous.
Pete
Pete.....

There's no drama about the high engine number. It makes sense just from a spare-parts point of view.

However, the existence of Sedans and Sprints does not explain my engine. The Roadster engines were "00204...", the Sprints were "00205...", and the Sedans were "00200...".

My extra engine is a "00204", so only intended for Roadster use. The Sprint and Roadster engines are otherwise identical, however.

·
Administrator
12,727 Posts
Pete.....

There's no drama about the high engine number. It makes sense just from a spare-parts point of view.

However, the existence of Sedans and Sprints does not explain my engine. The Roadster engines were "00204...", the Sprints were "00205...", and the Sedans were "00200...".

My extra engine is a "00204", so only intended for Roadster use. The Sprint and Roadster engines are otherwise identical, however.
Gee I'm not sure I can handle learning 2 things in one day ... ;)

Pete

141 - 160 of 1086 Posts