Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1069 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,042
That guy on “seen through glass” is entirely too enthusiastic. If I get his gig right, he’s talked Pirelli into giving him money, and someone to loan him a RHD Uber-car to drive around, while gushing about his wet-dream cars that he spots out his windows. Not actually doing anything, like Clarkson, et al. Just driving and gushing.

Go home, invading aliens. No intelligent life on this planet.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Congratulations on building such an exquisite example of a Two Liter Roadster! Bob Fernald should be happy knowing that he made a wise decision entrusting the car to you. The car looks amazing in the photographs. Good luck with the auction; I hope you set a record high watermark (>207K)!

A suggestion, 303 Aerospace Protectant (available on eBay and elsewhere) will make the tire rubber look like new, fresh rubber and remove the oils that have exuded from them -while protecting the rubber from U.V. and ozone.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,045
Hmmm. The tires ARE new. Wouldn't that mean they "look like new" already?

I'll pick up some 303, but detest the "Armor All Gloss" appearance.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
i saw your car on the Bonhams site and remembered having seen this thread once or twice over the last couple of years. What a beautiful result! Love the colors. They look fresh and light. You should do very well at auction.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
Hello Rab,

Thank you. I’ve never restored a car or airplane before with the plan to sell it. In my most delusional states, I can’t imagine needing TWO 102 Roadsters. However, I’m a poor business person, in that every detail was tended to as though I planned to keep and drive it. Of course, they’re never “done”, but sometimes it is time to let go. My 16 year old grandson is pulling into that zone.

Even now, we’re finalizing the front end alignment, and re-checking the front brake adjusters.

I also installed an electronic ignition and fresh starter into my Mooney so there’ll be no hiccups getting to Scottsdale.

Today’s work was finishing a Bluetooth hidden stereo amp in a 77 2000 Spider for us all to use when the mood strikes.

I’m starting hear the call of high altitude lakes and streams somewhere in South America with trout and QUIET as a retirement award.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,048 (Edited)
Last minute craziness

I've been tending to the tiny details. Carpet snaps for front floor carpets. Snaps for the rear seat cushion. Exhaust heat shield.

Today, we set out to rotate the 102 and 115 so I could drive the 102 down for an alignment check. I'm not expecting any changes, just the last minute stuff be able to say "she's ready" with a straight face.

I asked my son to drive 1488 out of the shop. It cranked very slowly, finally started. Hmmm. It's always been a quick-to-start car. So, we cleaned and regapped the plugs. Went to restart, and get only a solenoid going "clunk". Dammit. Several retests get the same result.

So, jack up the car, off with the freshly installed heat shield, out with the starter. Bench test "whirrrrrrrr". All the symptoms of a very healthy starter. Ground?

Went over to the passenger side, under the car, and found the ground strap free to swing under the bolt. Been that way for the 50-75 miles I've done in the car, or at least until the short-lived unit was swapped out for the current unit. Oh well, problem solved. Starter back in, started instantly on the first compression stroke. Nice engine....

Next problem has been a surprisingly large oil leak. Previous, short lived, engine had NO leaks. We had poured in some fluorescent dye at the beginning of the day, and turning on the UV light led us to the right side, rear valve cover gasket. Although easy to access, 102 cam covers can be hard to tame for leaks. We removed the old ( but installed new) gasket, recleaned all the surfaces, tested the lay-down of the cam cover without a gasket, tried it with a new-new gasket and a slip of paper looking for any clearance, and finally assembled it with no sealant, but using the new, new gasket.

No leaks.

Measured the new gasket at roughly .087 thick. Measured the previous "new" gasket and found .047" thick. Wow. Quite a difference. The cam cover compression is limited by the rubber O-ring at the rear, which explained why the overly-thin cam cover gasket was allowing seepage at the rear but not the front.

Aside from more detail cleaning and packing up the spare parts, I think it's done.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,049
Not strictly a technical post, so back among my peeps...

I’ve become afraid of 1488. The auction is in 12 days. Every night I lay awake remembering some tiny detail that needs tending. But, fearful that my belt will leave a scratch as I lean over to adjust the idle.

I drove 1488, not yet named, to Les Schwab, today. Sometimes I refer to them as Charles Schwab, revealing the sick symbiotic self-destruction that comes from retirement, Alfas, and 102 suspension alignment.

I’ve prepared for sleep lately by using my new Hortible Freight DA polisher on the 77 115 Spider. He’s now licensed “DON SOLO”. I was the minority vote in that decision. The team here might be referred to as “El tres Dons”. Padres, nino, y nieto. 00072 was tagged ‘Don Juan”, based upon his debut at Concorso during which “ladies of a certain age” were observed to become weak kneed while stroking his Scottish leather..... interior.

The Full Monty was privately named “Don Awannago”. ‘Nuff said.

I’ve resisted naming 1488 as he/she was simply my mitzvah, and not my child. Perhaps in two weeks, an inebriated winner will have an inspiration. However, it should not be a “Don”. It’s a lady’s car.

Maybe “Donna suck”?

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050
1488 dispatched toward Scottsdale this morning. While they’re never really finished, sometimes you’re done.

Of course, we’ll have polish, towels, and a few goodies on hand during the preview days.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,052
We're on the scene. I flew the Mooney down yesterday, catching a fabukous tailwind, at one point making 200 knots ground speed. That's about 230 MPH. As I was up high, 13,500, I was consuming 7.5 gallons per hour. That's about 30 MPG, while doing 230.
Yippee.

Maria arrived this morning. This is her adding some class to the 8C2300

The 8C is just inside the Bonham's tent. 1488 is just outside the door as one of the gate-guardians. Picture tomorrow.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,054
She knows those magic, seductive words...

“I really like detailing a vintage car”

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057
Too short of time to be called an era, but it’s the end of it.

Gavel fell at $137,500. I thought that was short of my reserve, so we left to find lunch. Upon our return, I texted my disappointment to my Bonham’s contact, only to get his reply that they’d sold it! I don’t know if that means I disremembered my reserve, or if they strong-armed the high bidder to increase his offer. Either way, it’s a realistic picture of the current in-decline market. Someone will get a great return on this car in the future, but hopefully I’ll be dancing in more tropical climes.

The good news is that our absence, prompted by the belief of a no-sale, meant we weren’t present when a 2003 Aston Martin with 6-speed manual crossed the block. I’d had my eyes on it. Gavel at $21K!!! I would have raised my hand at that if I thought I had cash in my pocket.

Somehow, I feel fortunate to have been spared the excesses of my own poor impulse control.

An early 30’s 8C2300 went for 8.4 mill. I wonder what is the real story on that one?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Your car was very nice and should have seen more, but no matter what, you need bidders in the room. Also, these high end auction houses, when I inquired, said in order to have a reserve, it needs to be in the $250k range. They definitely needed to tell you that.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059
I had a reserve. We agreed. I think they expected more as well, but didn’t put in the work bringing the right buyers to the table.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Don, since you have been fully transparent and open on this sale and experience, I don't feel out of line to ask you to explain what happened here. There seems to be some misunderstanding of the "no sale --reserve not met-- then sale" scenario. It might benefit someone looking to use an auction house .

1041 - 1060 of 1069 Posts