Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1021 - 1040 of 1045 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,021
My hope is that a 1300, regardless of rear end, when driven at 4,700’ above sea level, will be barely fast enough to reach the speed limit, even going down hill.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Stopped in Sac for a look at a Giulia Super Nuovo 1300.
I drove a friend's car in Switzerland a couple of years ago. Result: I want one! The car was absolutely beautiful to drive: steering so easy it felt like flying an aircraft, a 1300 engine that sang, matched at the factory to a gearbox that never made me feel wanting more power. Like the Giulietta Sprint, Giulia Supers were exceptionally well balanced from the factory.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I restored my 1961 Sprint Veloce that I drove for 100K miles in the Los Angeles, CA. I used to run the car in the AROSC Time Trials and won my class in 1975. I had fun racing my old car at various Southern California race tracks like Riverside International Raceway and Ontario Motor Speedway. I even have some photos of driving my car at different race tracks that were taken by fellow AROSC owners. I should post them on the Bulletin when I can find them.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Best of marque (Alfa) out of 102 present.
Pirelli “Best Fit” award.
Well done Don! That was the appropriate number of cars 102 for yours to be the class winner (102.04). I am surprised that someone didn't prevent you from sending the car back home by writing you a BIG check. It looks awesome at the show with its very unique color scheme.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,026
Thank you Mark,

There were mixed to broken clouds, but plenty of sun. This was just right for the Giallo Paglierino, as it richened the yellow, and allowed the tiny green tint to make an impression. The color was always the first thing people commented upon. Then the interior. Then the engine.

I'd listen to offers, but I plan to get it truly in ready-to-roll condition before doing anything about that. It runs and drives great at the moment. Engine is sweeeeeeeet, once it's warmed up.

I'm waiting for news of when it'll be brought back by Reliable. Any day now, I expect.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
This was just right for the Giallo Paglierino, as it richened the yellow, and allowed the tiny green tint to make an impression. The color was always the first thing people commented upon. Then the interior. Then the engine.

Back in the day, one of the things that really sat Alfas apart from most other cars was their color palette. It was obviously very carefully chosen, something that someone or someone's spent a lot of time working on. As a result, when you look at the available colors chosen for Alfas it's always a bit surprising to discover their wide variety and then realize that there wasn't a bad color anywhere in the batch. Witness the Giallo Paglierino on your car. Not many people would chose a color like that today and, yet, it could not have been more perfect on the finished example. Sadly when old Alfas are just old cars, somebody "who always wanted a red sports-car" all too often covers up Alfa's exquisite sophistication with a cheap retail-red paint job. There's no accounting for bad taste.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,029
Yep.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Easy to beat out 2600's perhaps?

Hah! I see the other two cars were 2600 spiders. Despite the chagrin of others on this bulletin board with those vehicles I state categorically that in any head to head beauty competition any two liter spider would be deemed to have better lines than any 2600 spider. The beautiful two liter lines got fattened and squared off in the latter model to allow the bigger engine inside the hood. And to balance the model required a squared off trunk. But still nice to see that a guy who initially thought no yellow two liter spider had ever existed finally accepted that as its proper color and did it right. One of that color passed through my hands in 1973 from Switzerland and furnished my hard top, Nardi steering wheel, dashboard grab bar and lower engine surround fairings (this last item only on 1962 models spiders but standard on the two liter sprint). I sold that yellow spider to a fellow from Medford Oregon and my wife and I drove it to Roseburg for him to pick up. I had grown attached to it and still remember crying on seeing him drive it off down the road. He only intended to resell it and painted it a lush off white because he said that hid dents better. After his "cool" paint job it was sold to a gal in Chico whose family was involved in the cannery business. She blew the engine overrevving in an attempt to outrun cars when entering back onto the hi-way from the shoulder. She traced ownership back to me, begged me to fix it, and then personally brought it to me on a trailer. I rebuilt the engine and drove the car to her in Chico. I later saw an ad on the East coast offering a car noted as being one I once owned. I have always suspected it was the once yellow one. So maybe I should have asked you the VIN number and if it was an off white. Sorry it did not have all its goodies. AT least I did not remove its turn indicators on the side when I was stealing parts from it. But were there two mysterious holes near the hinge point for the top where the hold down for the top were? However, I know it was your meticulous detailing and loving ministrations that would have made you the big winner with whatever car you would have taken to the prom. Congratulations to a fellow adorer of two liter Alfa spiders. I will do whatever I can to keep you in sufficient incense and holy water appropriate for that sacred task. Call when needy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Borrani's and the ride height look Just Perfect......... Its almost like one of the Black and White photos with only the subject in color. Happy for you.
RML

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Hah! I see the other two cars were 2600 spiders. Despite the chagrin of others on this bulletin board with those vehicles I state categorically that in any head to head beauty competition any two liter spider would be deemed to have better lines than any 2600 spider. The beautiful two liter lines got fattened and squared off in the latter model to allow the bigger engine inside the hood. And to balance the model required a squared off trunk. But still nice to see that a guy who initially thought no yellow two liter spider had ever existed finally accepted that as its proper color and did it right. One of that color passed through my hands in 1973 from Switzerland and furnished my hard top, Nardi steering wheel, dashboard grab bar and lower engine surround fairings (this last item only on 1962 models spiders but standard on the two liter sprint). I sold that yellow spider to a fellow from Medford Oregon and my wife and I drove it to Roseburg for him to pick up. I had grown attached to it and still remember crying on seeing him drive it off down the road. He only intended to resell it and painted it a lush off white because he said that hid dents better. After his "cool" paint job it was sold to a gal in Chico whose family was involved in the cannery business. She blew the engine overrevving in an attempt to outrun cars when entering back onto the hi-way from the shoulder. She traced ownership back to me, begged me to fix it, and then personally brought it to me on a trailer. I rebuilt the engine and drove the car to her in Chico. I later saw an ad on the East coast offering a car noted as being one I once owned. I have always suspected it was the once yellow one. So maybe I should have asked you the VIN number and if it was an off white. Sorry it did not have all its goodies. AT least I did not remove its turn indicators on the side when I was stealing parts from it. But were there two mysterious holes near the hinge point for the top where the hold down for the top were? However, I know it was your meticulous detailing and loving ministrations that would have made you the big winner with whatever car you would have taken to the prom. Congratulations to a fellow adorer of two liter Alfa spiders. I will do whatever I can to keep you in sufficient incense and holy water appropriate for that sacred task. Call when needy.
Probably outperforms the 2600 too. The uninformed think the 2000's are 2600's because it should have been that way if Alfa had any marketing knowledge in those days. The 2600 looks like a Biscayne compared to an Impala.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great work and a beautiful car!
A prize well deserved.
As for the rest of you, stop with the 2600 bashing or I'll let the tires down on your pretty little iron block lumps! 😁

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,034
One our our brethren, Neil, stopped by the car this weekend, so I could shamelessly flirt with his wife. Both were good spirts about that. Anyway, his car will be making its debut before long, but it bears mention that he added the electric power steering kit that I believe comes from the Netherlands. He’s not driven it yet, but you 2600 owners might finally have the means to make your cars enjoyable to drive.

And Jay....

No, this wasn’t your car. Officially, I’m the second owner, as Bob Fernald took possession from the first owner under his dealer license, never registering it under his own name.

Bob Goldberg sent me a couple of pics. Not sure who the old white-haired guy is. Probably called central casting for someone to come channel Enzo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don,
You will not mind my comment, but you may have a small leak on the intake camshaft cover.

Monterey 2019 032.jpg

Moreover, if someone has a trick to make these **** cover oil proof, I'm interested.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,036 (Edited)
I did have a leak. Apparently, I didn’t get what spilled cleaned up before the photo was taken.

After my son and I got the valve shims readjusted, he reassembled one side and I did the other. At one point he gestured and said “there’s the wrench for the cam covers”. I grabbed it, and tightened my side, thinking he had already done his.

Upon returning from a quick drive around the block, we found plenty of oil on the intake side, where he’d been working. I quickly discovered the nuts were just started, and not even hand-tight!

We cleaned up things as best we had time for, but inevitably some is still creeping out from whence it splashed.

Of course, there may still be a leak, but I think what you’re seeing is from what didn’t get cleaned up. I’ll check when it gets home.

As to cover leaks...

I tried to get new rear rings for the cam covers from AFRA, but after a year of broken promises, I gave up. Karl Robertson has been making them in a softer material than the original, and they work well in two ways. They conform better to their cavity, and being softer, they don’t prevent the cover from being fully tightened without a distorting degree of force by the nuts.

You might be surprised to hear I didn’t clean up the engine bay after arriving at Concorso, or after the first cleaning from when the original leak occurred.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
electric power steering

As Don mentioned, I have installed the electric power steering, from these folks:

Alfa Romeo 2000 Touring Spider

At this point I can only report that works perfect from the garage to the edge of the parking lot.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Yo, Don. I talked to Bob this afternoon and told him about your win. He was very pleased at the news. We doing Usual Suspects tomorrow night (Wed.) at Shoal Creek. . .

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,039
Hola

Tell the gang that trip 22 months ago seemed to have taken root, and best regards to them all.

I spoke with Bob today. We agreed I owe him a beer or six.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Your car is featured on the YouTube channel “seen through glass” as a winner of Pirelli’s “Perfect Fit” award at the Concorso. Looked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1021 - 1040 of 1045 Posts