Alfa Romeo Forums banner

961 - 980 of 1045 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
Pete...

The 2300 uses a factory spin-on oil filter, and a pressure release valve built into the oil pump. It’s still overall the cast-iron architecture, but the ports in the oil pump body allow direct priming. Not possible on the 2000 version.

Fingers crossed. Time short until Concorso.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #963
In my idle time (about 47 seconds per day) I’m starting to think Jay may be closer to mark. Not that the oil filter isn’t assembled correctly, or has the wrong parts, but that something failed in there, blew downstream, and plugged the feed galley. I’ve not done an incremental test of each segment, just the Pressure port out to five main saddles. If there’s a flow restriction between the pressure port and the oil filter, it might result in the observed outcome.

After letting the gasket goo set a couple of hours, I just went out and restarted.

Good pressure, good idle, good temps, no leaks. I let it run until the oil temp was up to 25%, and the oil pressure was still steady at its cold pressure of about 55%. That’s a very good sign.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Decades ago I worked with a machine shop that specialized in poured-babbit bearings. This was for the French aircraft engines I used to work on. He showed me the results of building an engine using a white lubricant the name of which escapes my memory, but which was/is often used for this purpose. “Molylube?” Anyway, if an engine was started and put into service soon after rebuilding, ok, but if it was stored for a period the lube would etch the surface of the bearings, leaving them rough, and dramatically shorten its life.
I suspect it was 'Lithium' grease. I sprayed the roller wheels (and coil spring) on my garage door with Lithium grease and the galvanized steel track exhibited red rust corrosion products after a year or so.:frown2:

https://westpowergroup.com/product/molylube-5-moly-ep-grease-li/

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #965
Just checked this morning. Not a drop on the floor. Cranked right up and idled at 800. Occasional tiny tap sound. Rare and goes away above idle. Might need to check chain tension.

Hesitant to speak it aloud, but feeling optimistic. I had some worries about the spin-on adapter, but so far, zero issues from that direction.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #966
It was, indeed, a slightly loose chain. It’s not unusual that a PO will overtighten the tensioner, causing it to swage into the piston. This can make the piston a little sticky. I popped off the valve cover, rotated the intake cam backwards, loosened the fixing bolt, and put a slight pressure on the back of the tensioner. “POP!”, and it extended by perhaps 1/4”-3/8”.

No more tappy-tappy.

Running well, but I get a sense one cylinder isn’t quite singing the same song. Changed plugs one step hotter, and that helped. I’ll check the valve clearances in the next week.

While we had the car jacked up, I followed the manual’s guidance for bleeding the front brakes. It states that all four front manual adjusters should be turned to fully loose. After bleeding, retighten. OK. Surprise, brake pedal feel and height now fully normal.

Oil pressure remaining best I’ve seen in a 102. 60% on start, settling to 55% after a short time, with warm (not hot) idle 45%. I’ve driven it around the block, but not enough to reach full operating temp.

Oh, oil color still golden clear. The dead engine turned very quickly dark. This will eventually make sense.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #968
Shipping. And return.

00072 just crossed 10,000 miles, and is remarkably bump and scrape free, but I’d rather not pick up road rash on 1488 before it’s completed.

It was tiny-details day yesterday. Created some correct-length headlight trim retaining screws. Snugged up the right front axle nut. Replaced a Roma clamp in the engine bay with a toggle-clamp. Yeah, it would be great to have a definitive chart for what clamp goes where. Maybe thats available in the parts book, but I’ve not taken the time.

Bought the steel for the display box that’ll house the “Factory horsepower delete kit”. Might get some welding done today.

Just watched a deer with velvet antlers raiding the low-hanging apples on a tree outside my bedroom window, and a humming bird visit the new feeder.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #970
Horsepower delete kit

What is that ?
We have nicely rebuilt the original Solex PHH44 carbs, manifold, and plenum, and assembled them together. I am going to build a box with plexiglas sides and top to hold this assembly for display, and include it in the future offer to sell the car, in case the new owner wishes to remove the extra horsepower that is currently installed.

“Horsepower delete kit”. Like the highly valued “Radio delete plate”.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I'll do the same, not for sale, just for fun.
Pictures will be appreciated for brain wave.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #972
According to Jay, the exalted and ancient one, he drove an early prototype/demonstrator 2000 with what he called a "Conrero" engine. Dual webers, dry sump oiling, and who knows what else? His half-century-old memory of that event is certainly deadly accurate, and I think he described smoking the tires in all five gears. So..... It might be inferred that the Solex 44PHH carbs, and other hidden items, were a way to delete performance that was not deemed appropriate for our cars.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Smoking tires in 5 gears? Jay is from California.. I always thought Texas had the record for biggest anything . My 2 cents.. I would rethink the concorso target. Just me. After what you have been through, I'm not sure an excuse for ANYTHING out of order will help soften a blow to the gut from ANYONE looking for an easy mark. And they will be there.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #974
Div..

Most of my ex-wives might agree I'm dimwitted, but I prefer to think of it as a lack of good taste on my part. But then, I like Alfas, flying, old french biplanes and young mademoiselles, great Italian wines, and dancing the tango.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what your post wants me to understand?

I'm not really all that concerned about taking home trophies. I tend to follow the guidance of St. Marx in that regard. Having said that, my "Full Monty" took home the "Best tipo 105" trophy a few years ago, with bunches of non-original mods, and hordes of super-fine GTVs and Supers that were certainly much closer to the sacrosanct standard of pure-originality. My general disregard for judged events is the lack of true objectivity.

On the other hand, I have fun when people stop by my car and we share a laugh about life's detours and follies.

So - I'll be at Concorso, with my tongue-in-cheek displays. I haven't written the story-boards yet, but hopefully Concorso moderators won't be so strict as the AlfaBB's.

Shifting back to bolts and bollocks...

I checked the cams today, and found both retarded by several degrees. Enough to matter. This may have been related to the stuck chain tensioner mentioned above. I chose to repair things the right way, which involved removing each cam and starting over with fresh lock tab (which I had made several years ago, selling the extra stock to CA for the pursuit of not-so-greedy profits).

Got it all back together, and took it for a test drive. Blblbbbllbbbbbbbbzzzzz. Dead fuel pump. Well, intermittent fuel pump. I'll refer to this as the "SU syndrome" revealing my years in the 70s selling parts for MGs and other lesser cars. It would be dead until whacked by the palm of my hand, and run long enough for another 50 meters. Anyway, I limped back, and sent a letter to CA about their new pump that lasted 21km.

Engine sounded fine, so long as it was getting gas, which was too brief to get warm and really test. But, good pressures and general response.

Car goes to Terry, the new upholsterer, on the 4th, promising a top installation and interior tweaking within
2 to 4 days.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Dead fuel pump. Well, intermittent fuel pump.
Damned !

What is the brand of this pump ?

I had a problem once with the 2600 Spider with a brand new Facet. One day it was not working, the day after it was working. I never solved out the problem and never had any trouble with a other one ...

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #976
It’s a Facet purchased from Classic Alfa. Tom has promised to send over a replacement pronto. But I simultaneously got an a “Tom is out of the office” email, so we’ll see what happens.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Somewhere back in my memory bank there are two wiring combinations .. one for positive ground and one for negative ground... I can't recall if it was two separate pumps or two separate wiring schemes for the same pump.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #979
Thanks Div. the 102 is negative ground, though, so a straight forward hook up.

The pump was shipped this morning, and should be here by Friday.

Today I’ll get the front license plate mounting bracket sorted out and ready for the chromer. It was originally zinc plated, or similar, so maybe I’ll see if that guy can do a batch of white Cad for me. I’ve got a handful of clamps and such that need to be replaced as well.

But first priority today is the display box.

00072’s passenger door handle has loosened. Dang. Need to change his oil, also.

Ordered a custom fit car cover yesterday, from Covercraft. Interestingly, they no longer list the 102 in their online catalog, but the nice lady on the phone found my previous orders in her records, and promised an August 4 shipment date.

I entered the recently announced Pirelli “perfect fit” promotion for Concorso. Their online registration for this Concorso-only program allowed all sorts of car makes, such as my Mazda, but no Alfas older than about 1990. I corresponded with a very pleasant “Cicilia”, who says she got it all fixed. She agreed only Italian cars, registered to show at Concorso, were eligible.

Watching hummingbirds at the new feeder outside my bedroom window.

·
Push hard and live
8,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #980 (Edited)
A good day in the shop.

The fuel pump was a grounding issue. It worked for the 20km while the first engine was eating itself, and stopped after 50 yards along the first test run of the second engine. So, fuel pump problem solved, and I have a spare, which is a good thing, as the pump in 00072 is, as far as I know, what came with it in December of 1958.

My son came over today and helped. We got the few unseen leaks in the fuel tank repaired, and have some confidence there'll be no complaints from the grounds keeper at the Black Horse Golf Course (or whatever it's called now).

We checked the compressions in the engine, as I didn't really like the sound of it. #1 was a touch low compared to the others, but not much. 10 psi. So, we checked the valve clearances, and this is where the hilarity began.

My son is truly an ace motorcycle mechanic. He set up the valve clearances in the head I used on the first engine, in about half the time it takes me, and it was his first Alfa valve adjustment. As the hot cams were already checked for clearances with head #1, we transferred it to engine #2 when engine #1 retired from the field. Of course, we cleaned it thoroughly, in case bearing parts had found their way up there. He dismantled the cams prior to cleaning, and later told me which buckets and shims went where when I put it back together.

Everyone already ahead of the story?

Yes, all the buckets and shims from the exhaust side ended up on the intake, and vice versa. This resulted in zero lash on cylinder #1 intake, and goofy numbers elsewhere. Fortunately, the fuel pump died (or the ground wire did) preventing me from making any distance with this assemblage. We made short work of the correction, and decided to fire it up for an end-of-day test.

There are three sounds that all of us recognize with our eyes closed. A happy baby, a well-pleased lover, and an engine where all the parts are singing the same song.

I'm really enjoying having my son around for this sort of stuff, but we need to work a little on our CRM (****pit resource management).

I may reward myself tonight with a nice single malt...

961 - 980 of 1045 Posts