Alfa Romeo Forums banner

881 - 900 of 1042 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
Coming out

Got the seats back today, and installed. Yipee! They're quite nice, and I'm going to Terry for all my work from now on. Cool guy.

Neal Gibson, and Ozian friend and his wife Val, are visiting for a while. The two of them, well into their 70's, spend much of their time touring the world on a variety of Honda ST1300s he has stationed on foreign continents. He's offered to loan me one for a tour of New Zealand, when I can organize the time.

Anyway, after installing the seats, we jumped in, cranked up, and headed off on the first real drive in 1488. We made about 10 miles, much of it testing the limits of the engine and brakes, both of which were fine. Even the minor driveline vibration seemed to clear up, making me thing a giubo wasn't quite settled in at first, but is now. Good temps and pressures, steering fine. Not the grunt-in-the-front of the 2300, I predict a 2000 driver would be pleased. Quick revs to 6,000 without hesitation.

From here, it's improving details, plus the top install. Terry will handle that. The dude knows his stuff. Said if the Robbins top doesn't fit, he'll make me one and have it done in two days. Whup!

These obviously aren't the publicity shots, just proof to you helpful and sympathetic souls that it actually made it into the sun.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi DP. Car looks stunning, it's great that you can now actually drive it.
It's interesting regarding your drive line vibration. I've had exactly the same thing on my 2600. At first I thought it was the rear wheels out of balance as it starts around 70mph and disappears between 75-80mph. After re balancing same thing. I thought the same as you regarding the Giubo setting in as it disapears after a few miles of constant speed. 5k miles in and it still happens, I'm guessing it's a built in Alfa thing or that the company that balanced my propshaft didn't do a great job!
Still I hope you enjoy your car as much as I'm enjoying mine, and keep us posted regarding the vibration thing.
All the best 🙂

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
My 59 "2300" has no vibrations, except between 78 - 82. That is certainly a Pirelli CA67 issue we've not been able to balance out.

This car seems to have the speed of vibration much lower, perhaps 45 - 55MPH. Today was the first real drive, and it seemed to go away after a mile or two. I'll monitor future developments.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
I'm drawn to consider what else am I familiar with that is sort of creamy colored everywhere but in the middle, which is itself a sort of flushed-reddish-pink, and brings pleasure in the consideration, experience, and remembrance of?

Yeah. That's it.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
PS - I don't like my impulse choice of license plate. I'm going to change it. Leading choice at the moment is "Tango". Open to others. "PU$$Y"?

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
I don't know if it will help much but Pirelli's seem to have a shake in them at some certain speed.

On the late 80's Spider the ones that came with Pirelli's all had a shake between 55 and 60. The only cure was a different brand tire. New Pirelli's would still have the shake.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #888
My new Colombian lady friend has a shake at a certain speed. I have no objections....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Don from your aside comments ( Posts 885 and 888) I think you are going the same way as Picasso, I guess its the Columbian effect . Maybe your next build shoud be a red long bonnet E type to insert between your other cars!

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #891
Vibration cured on it's own = probably flat spotted tires
The vibration was first noticed when the driveshaft was installed and a test run was made with the car up on jack stands. Tires not touching the floor. And the tires are new.

We’ll see if it continues to improve or not.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Just a stab in the dark. My Pirelli's flat spot in 2 weeks on 30 psi but iron out in a matter of a few miles. Low air pressure will accentuate the situation as you know.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
The old cast iron 2000 is a happier drive with a little extra pressure in the tires. It seems the steering box is borrowed from the Model A Ford, and can be heavy in slow speed turns. A couple more psi helps.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
I was referring to her driving upon rural Colombian roads. You guys have dirty minds.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #898

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
And I got her done before Christmas! This year.
Congrats, Don -- both the quality and quickness of you getting this car back on the road is quite remarkable!!!

881 - 900 of 1042 Posts