Alfa Romeo Forums banner

821 - 840 of 1045 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
No such thing as an “active area” in fluid dynamics.

It’s late here, but I hope to have a variety of updates by end of the weekend.

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #822
Update...

I’ve got the nose up, and that, plus some adjusting of the master cylinder rod, has given me a functional pedal height. Jay tells me that some serious panic stops are necessary to get the FBAN (Big Adjuster Nut) to slide to its final position, which will incrementally improve the pedal height.

Jay, at first, could find no spare seats. Then, his son came over and showed him where they were. I’m now committed to making a jig to weld up one, or more, new seat backs. That, plus the availability of new spring sets, makes the seat shortage a little less painful. Jay’s seat back should be here next week. He’s asked if I can devise a way to attach a hoop to guide a shoulder harness. It’s a curious idea, from an 84 year old who used to use a 102 for his daily driver. I’m not so sure a shoulder harness is warranted given their current usage, but I’ve got an idea I’d like to try.

Jay also quickly suggested a solution to my wiper current drain problem. I think he nailed it. Maybe. Gotta pull up some carpet to attempt the correction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My car when loaded had a problem. Windshield in pieces.
I found a new one in NY state and paid 650 usd. I got the side window in Italy and purchased the seat spring. My body shop is sure he can reproduce the metal frame but without mesaurement I am worried. If you reproduce one can or have the measurement of someone to reproduce. I found the seat rails and now concentrating on the door panels. Have seen many different photos. Can anyone help me? I have a rear luggage compartment hood. Anyone wants it. Is in Macedon NY. Possibly 2 doors.
Tuesday we are starting the welding of new metal. I understand the seat are in vinyl but that they had them in leather by special order.
Tks

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
TKS,

I don’t have any particular stress when you post progress notes about your car in a thread started to document the progress on my car. I would, however, suggest you start your own thread. This will help you better organize your thoughts and questions for future reference.

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
What a bummer of a day...

What appeared to be a magically good wiper motor and system, has just gotten worse and worse. At this point, the motor seems completely dead. But, maybe it's my switch? I can't find any schematic for which color wires connect to which other color wires to turn on hi/low/return-park, so can't be sure if its the fresh motor or my old switch that died. Everything worked great, but something was dropping current to ground.

Jay suggested I switch the two wires on the foot pump. I've pulled the foot pump/switch out, and checked every variation of connection. As near as I can tell, it's a switch. Neither connector is also connected to ground. Plus, if the red wire were somehow dumping to ground causing the current drain, it would also trigger the motor to run. Red Herring, I think.

When I finally got to the head-exploding point, I shifted to the driver's door window installation. Made good progress. The felt sliders are glued into their guides, and should be ready to install tomorrow. Also did some research on shifting away from AN fittings back to the original hot-water manifold for the front of the engine. I think that'll look nice.

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #828
Check, check

Did the prescribe “bench check” on the wiper motor. Going back for rework. Getting it out won’t be fun.

Did the mod on the heater-water feed tube. First OE piece I’ve cut to make work. Feels sort of “Blue Velvet-ish”. Here’s the trans picks. In a day or two I’ll have the final installation photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Since the 102 crowd might not have enough input from a limited population, you might find this applicable to your car.... it's all electrons chasing electrons in the end and they don't identify with what car it is in. FYI, + or - ground could matter though, as I recall.

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/664684-infernal-trio-wipers.html

https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/181027-lucas-wiper-motor-folly.html

Sorry if this adds more confusion to the mix. I hope not.

I do know the floor switches are very finicky by the way they are constructed so don't rule out it could be the core of the problem.. The dash switch not so much. ON or OFF

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #830
Two steps forward...

We got the tank sealed, tested, and installed. Heater water manifold modified, repowdered, installed, and tested. Wiper motor out, diagnosed, and returned to rebuilder for rework.

Seat back received from Jay. Now to make a jig to build up some new seat backs.

Got left window regulator fully installed, lubricated, andready. Guides have their felt installed, and are ready to go into the door.

Need to find a better air filter element. The one from CA won’t do.

Johnny has started on the rear seat surround.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Baldwin Filter has a great website to help size what you want.......You plug in the dimensions and they come up with a solution. Baldwin Filters E-Catalog

You might have to double up on the cartridge to get the fit. That's what AR did on Spica Spiders. You can also use foam gaskets to make up for variances. I've never had to do that. The Giulietta Normale is on the shelf and fits perfectly out of the box, just as an example. You would never find it searching by application ( AR Giulietta) on their website but you can by dimensions.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Bottom breather...

Need to find a better air filter element.
You are making great progress on the Touring Roadster! I have purchased two of these modern foam air filters from C.I. for my air filter canisters and they fit and work pretty well -even better with the modification you suggested to the air filter canister bottom. The filter comes with a can of spray oil that you treat the foam with.

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/air-filter-750-101-veloce

Air Filter Canister Two-Liter Mod.jpg

Also, if anyone needs one or two of these veloce air hoses, I still have a few in-stock...

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/air-intake-hose-veloce

$85 delivered in the contiguous 48 states or $85+actual shipping overseas. They fit the Veloce, the 102 Berlina or the elbow can be cut off to fit the Touring Roadster. Send a PM if interested.

750 102 air duct main.jpg
IMG_2162.jpg

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
Baldwin Filter has a great website to help size what you want.......You plug in the dimensions and they come up with a solution. Baldwin Filters E-Catalog

You might have to double up on the cartridge to get the fit. That's what AR did on Spica Spiders. You can also use foam gaskets to make up for variances. I've never had to do that. The Giulietta Normale is on the shelf and fits perfectly out of the box, just as an example. You would never find it searching by application ( AR Giulietta) on their website but you can by dimensions.
I just spent 20 minutes looking, and could find no size chartson the Baldwin site.

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #834
Seat backs

First step. Build an assembly jig. After this is done (more to do, yet), build bending jigs. Order some 4130. Dust off my oxycet skills.

What could possibly go wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Don, I have a hunch that there's so much to be learned from rebuilding the seat frames (or seat back) that the topic deserves a separate thread that may become sticky at some point in the future.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I just spent 20 minutes looking, and could find no size chartson the Baldwin site.
You have to select "catalog Information" TAB then Size chart at bottom of drop down menu

Then select metric or Inches then .....

As an Example -- I loaded (mm's) Length 310 O.D 113 I.D. 87 and selected ROUND and then checked +/- 1.0 and came up with 24 choices with dimensions and applications and PHOTOS of the filter.. Some are for tractors .. compressors .. oil field rigs.. etc. but they might be your oyster.

·
Push hard and live
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #837
In addition to the seat back going missing, and my nicely rebuilt wiper motor taking a crap, I discovered that the driver's side glass had acquired some pits and checks from just sitting on my workbench. Grrrr.

Glass company says they'll have a new one for me by Friday. Yeah. Right.
Wiper motor company promised to ship the repaired motor this past Monday, but just called this morning to confirm my address. Which was written on the label when I returned it to them. Motor needed by day after tomorrow to meet some other deadlines.
Seat back now at a local fabricator for a quote on making several Posted under a separate thread.

Oh - when son was refueling freshly sealed-up tank, he didn't notice a rubber cap was on the fuel spigot, and so deposited that into the tank. Haven't been able to find it via the filler or sender ports, so tank will be coming off again later today.

And grandson thought it would be funny to place a dead bird into his girlfriend's backpack. His two-day in-school suspension ended yesterday, but he's still restricted to base around here.

Upholsterer has now missed about his fourth "I'll have it done by Monday" promises. Too late to find another one I trust, so I'm resorting to taking him cases of beer as a bribe to get moving.

I picked a bad week to stop drinking. Again.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
And here I was about to stop drinking for a week. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
How about a bolt on piece on seat back for 3 way belt?

Don, I am frustrated in trying to do a three point seat belt on my spider. While you are making a new back for yourself (and dozens to sell others, I suspect), how about making some piece that could be screwed onto the top outer side like the piece that comes on the seat backs pf later spiders with three point? That way we who want three point belts could drill holes and screw them on and the belt over shoulder would not slip off. You are the inventive one. I know you can do it. Of course it has to be something that can be added after the upholstery is on.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Don, I am frustrated in trying to do a three point seat belt on my spider. While you are making a new back for yourself (and dozens to sell others, I suspect), how about making some piece that could be screwed onto the top outer side like the piece that comes on the seat backs pf later spiders with three point? That way we who want three point belts could drill holes and screw them on and the belt over shoulder would not slip off. You are the inventive one. I know you can do it. Of course it has to be something that can be added after the upholstery is on.
While a good idea, that seat frame has not been designed for the load you are about to put on it (when in an accident) and the seat will just fold forward. Result is you might have well just been wearing a lap belt.

At least if bolted to the B pillar it should be strong(er)
Pete

821 - 840 of 1045 Posts