Alfa Romeo Forums banner

781 - 800 of 1045 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #782
Weber whispers

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
Finding no emulsion stacks was a moment of celebration. Anyone who has done a few Weber conversions will be aware of the dreaded “transition gap”. The 45s on 00072 have worked brilliantly on the 2300, so I have been hoping this smaller brother would behave as well, using early 40’s. The initial start and idle tuning went well, but I could hear the beginning of a stumble as the throttle entered “the zone”. Argh.

With the F16s and fairly generic fuel and air correctors, taking the throttle straight to the floor got an immediate zing. I barely had time to lift off as the probably optimistic tach went past 6,500. No stumble at all.

I hope I can get the brakes up to 100%.

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #783 (Edited)
Short list

Found the current drain. For some reason the freshly rebuilt wipermotor, that works great, pulls a small load all the time. I’ve pulled the wire from the fuse panel for now, and will start tinkering with it tomorrow.

Driveshaft all sorted. Quite reasonably smooth now. Missing on 12MM paugh nut.

Left rear carpet and seatbelt in. Right tomorrow.

Picking up the rear “seat back” frame from Johnny tomorrow to ensure it fits the various securing holes. I’m certain this piece, as well as the rest of the black interior, was not original to 1488. So, some bolt/hole matching required.

Apparently I no longer know how to post a video to YouTube, but will keep trying.

Ah, got YouTube working.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #784
Tank Straps

Serge

Here’s the pics of the straps.

I slipped under the car
My gearbox is 4 mm lower

View attachment 1562026

View attachment 1562028

That is not the result you were expected ...

By the way, if it is not too late, could you please provide pictures and dimensions of the 2 straps to support the tank in order to be able to reproduce them

Attachments

·
Registered
9,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Thank you Ruedi and thank you Don,

Unfortunately, the dimension of the smaller strap is not so clear for me.
Don, is it too late for you to give me the length ?

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #787
The pictured straps are now installed. However, I have the set from #72 off the car, so can get those measurements. The #72 straps are in somewhat rough condition, but I should be able to get a measurement.

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Posted measurement pics in your thread.

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #790
I recall seeing a listing for the washer bag cap and suction tube/top valve somewhere, but I can't find it. Anyone know the secret?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I recall seeing a listing for the washer bag cap and suction tube/top valve somewhere, but I can't find it. Anyone know the secret?
Probably not an exact match to the original (I haven't tried it), but the VDO check valve for Mercedes 190SL may be a solution, see here and here.

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #793
The critical thing I need is the cap. Oddly enough, I found one for 00072 years ago, but dont recall where.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Recall is a very underestimated virtue...assuming we are not stricken with dementia or the other one I can't spell...I find myself doing jobs that should have taken 30 minutes to do now take three hours. The problem is, I can never find the special 13 mm wrench I used 2 minutes ago and spend 80 % of my time looking for something I had just used and find it in places like the top of the toilet.

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #795 (Edited)
Plot digression. Surprise

It’s been a medium stress week in Carson City. Grandson will turn 16 next week. He still doesn’t grasp that “shave” means ALL of the hairs. Or even both sides. He doesn’t get that “clean” is the description of the result, and not fully satisfied by picking up one sock, or one wipe of his arse.

Tomorrow I expect to receive the fine-mesh brass screen to repair the tank filter for 1488. I’d be done early except for three tickets to “Avengers End Game”.

Went down to Kelly’s and he used his quick-weld stud puller and hammer to remove the worst of the dents in 00072’s tank. Tank is now primed and painted. 00072 should be operational by end of the day Saturday. It’s been the entire Fall and Winter without a 102. The horror the horror.

I’ve decided to try using the original heater/carb heat distribution tube for the OKP manifold conversion. If it works, and it will, it’s one more simplification of this enhancement. It will require a cut, which thus far I’ve not allowed. First, do no harm.

Shortly, I’ll face an unusual circumstance. I’ve decided that a necessary step in making the brakes work will be to take the car out, under its own power, but without brakes (or insurance). After gaining some speed, down hill, I must pump the brakes to gain stoppage, and to shift the auto-adjust nut to take up the slack in the shoes. Hopefully resulting in functioning brakes.

Woo hoo.

Watching “We were soldiers...” with the grandson. He wants to join the military. I’ll do everything I can to fend off his death in service to the “Evil Empire” that the US has become.

·
Push hard and live
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #797
It lives, it runs, it drives!

After finalizing the fuel tank hookups, and installing the right side seatbelt (no seat at this point), the time arrived.

Got it wiggled by hand out of the shop. Cranked it up. Backed up the sloped driveway, and tested the brakes by coasting back down. It took some pumping, but I got some brakes.

Then, down the driveway, pumping brakes to try to get the adjusters to slide into take-up position.

Then, out on the street for a few tentative passes up and down.

Then out onto the feeder street for a third-gear dash up the hill and back.

Now he's back in the shop where I'll monitor for leaks.

Gear shifting with NS was excellent. Very smooth.

Power, even at partial throttle, exhilarating.

Back in the shop, warm, I tweaked the idle for best at-temp idling.

Only squawk was a very slight stumble just off idle, but this seemed to go away as he came up to temp.

Now, to get the insurance activated and a set of plates.

Vanity plate suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
Man that colour is awesome!

What a pretty little car :)
Pete

781 - 800 of 1045 Posts