Alfa Romeo Forums banner

761 - 780 of 1042 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #761 (Edited)
All those Alfa things going on and you do fun stuff too.... :) Thanks for sharing your story, complete with teenager, I appreciated it.

Cheers,
In all my years landing on Tahoe and going into a nearby restaurant, I've had only ONE lovely lady ask me for a ride. Her boyfriend quickly vetoed her request, which in my opinion would be plenty enough reason to dump him.

I did give a ride to a near-octegenarian lady who was at the Hyatt celebrating her very high-number wedding anniversary with her equally aged husband. He was too timid. She was hot to fly.

Maybe I need a sign hung on the airplane while I'm dining nearby:

Free rides:

Requirement:
Two X chromosomes
Single AND unencumbered
Over 18
Fire in the belly for flying an airplane

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
What a gorgeous weather!

From your description, I gather you might prefer two X chromosomes over just one.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #763
What a gorgeous weather!

From your description, I gather you might prefer two X chromosomes over just one.
Ooops. Forgot my highschool biology.

Of course.

Edited.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Great Don !

My #01234 Touring is a 1960.
I can go under the car and mesure what you need. But it will be easier for me with a drawing showing exactly what you need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Don,
I have a pair of Tourings, a 2000 and a 2600. I need some parts:
2600 seats or just the recline mechanisms
2600 driver's door panel

102 engine fan
aluminum engine mount brackets
exhaust manifolds
thermostat cover/neck
oil pan
transmission(?)
passenger door innards and window glass

Thank you for any help
Dean
TRAIL AUTO
(800)445-2532

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
Hi, Don,
2600 driver's door panel

102 engine fan
exhaust manifolds
thermostat cover/neck
oil pan
transmission(?)

Thank you for any help
Dean
TRAIL AUTO
(800)445-2532
You may want to start a thread of your own about you cars and what you need for them, rather than hi-jacking this one.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
Hello Dean,

I don’t mind digressions within my threads. Might not be the most effective way to find what you need, but one of our more famous writers once remarked on the merits of “a needless conformity”.

You state you have two, different cars, but haven’t differentiated as to which your needs are for.

You can PM me with your specific needs, or start a thread providing more specificity. The parts for 2000 and 2600 cars are quite often not the same.

Hi, Don,
2600 driver's door panel

102 engine fan
exhaust manifolds
thermostat cover/neck
oil pan
transmission(?)

Thank you for any help
Dean
TRAIL AUTO
(800)445-2532

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
Tank and driveline

We got the tank finished today. Hopefully paint hard enough to put it in the car tomorrow. Worked on the tank for 00072 as well, but have some pinholes and other details to tend to before painting. Spring is here. Time to get the car on the road.

Here's a pic of a ruler touching the lowest point of the transmission measuring down to the cross member below. To correct the misalighment, my guess is that the trans would need to be somewhere around 1/2" - 3/4" higher at this point. Maybe more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I slipped under the car
My gearbox is 4 mm lower

IMG_8337.jpg

IMG_8337 copie.jpg

That is not the result you were expected ...

By the way, if it is not too late, could you please provide pictures and dimensions of the 2 straps to support the tank in order to be able to reproduce them

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #771
Serge,

Thank you, but I’m confused. It appears you measured toward the edge of the crossmember. My measurement was made in the middle of the crossmember, which was also the lowest point of the transmission. This would be a smaller measurement than the one you made, which is indeed a surprise.

Can you tell if your 8-hole giubo is absolutely straight, or is is slightly bent to accommodate an angle between the transmission output and the center bearing?

I will get pictures of fuel tank straps today.

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #772
I slipped under the car
My gearbox is 4 mm lower

View attachment 1562026

View attachment 1562028

That is not the result you were expected ...

By the way, if it is not too late, could you please provide pictures and dimensions of the 2 straps to support the tank in order to be able to reproduce them
I wonder if you installed the two bushings in the bell housing upside down?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don,

I'm quite sure I have made the measurement at the same place you did. I just take the picture form the other side of the car.

In order for you to be sure, I slipped again :

Here is the place I took the measurement (slowest point of the transmission) :

IMG_8343.jpg

Everything seams straight, but as the car is just on a cric, I have not a lot of place to see precisly.

IMG_8346.jpg

I will have a look of the bushing position on my pictures. If I find a clear one with this detail, I'll post it.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
"Slowest point" of the transmission.

Thank you phone auto correct, you made a funny 😄
Pete

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don,

This is a picture of the bushing before I replace them. I'm sure I install the new one in the same position.

BV SB.jpg

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
I've done a bunch today.

The vibration is definitely originating from the from section of the driveshaft. I've put it back to stock length, mounted it up without the rear section, and the vibration is as before. Without the front section mounted, smooth.

Watching from below, the center bearing assembly appears to be rotating smoothly. The forward section appears to have a vibration. The "olive" on the end of the output shaft is round and a good diameter, and I have the rubber "snubber" in place. The only thing I can imagine is the angularity between the trans output and the forward section of the driveshaft. Of course, it is possible either of the four-finger yokes are bent, but I've had no problems mating them up to the giubo, so long as the clamp is in place.

I've checked, and my two bell-housing bushings are right way up, which is with the large opening on the bottom and small on the top, positioning the trans in the higher of the two choices (that's why I wondered about your bushings, Serge - although your giubo appears to be aligned).

My new battery won't hold a charge more than two days, so I've got some sort of drain somewhere. I'll look tomorrow.

I got the fuel tank and sender installed. I'm going to go find some fine-wire brass screen and replace the strainer element in the bottom of the tank. BTW, my son found the plug for the tank belonging to 00072.

Rear carpets arrived. I've dropped them in place, and installed the left-side seat belt. Horrors, a non-original piece of kit. Too bad. I've become accustomed to this face.

My keysfclassics package should arrive next week. That'll complete that check box.

So - the biggest question mark now is the vibration/trans/bearing alignment. Might have to sleep, or drink, on that.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
How are you testing the driveshaft vibration without the front section connected/installed?

Are you somehow spinning the diff?
Pete

·
Push hard and live
8,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #780 (Edited)
How are you testing the driveshaft vibration without the front section connected/installed?

Are you somehow spinning the diff?
Pete
I have adjusted the rear of the transmission upward slightly. This has removed the crookedness in the front giubo. We have run the engine with just the front section of the driveshaft attached to confirm it is turning with no wobble.

Next, we will attach the rear section of the driveshaft, but I could not do that today as I had a tango lesson with a top Argentine teacher. I am aware the rear section is two pieces, and they must be assembled with the balance marks aligned.

For humor...

About five or so years ago I had Gordon Raymond go through a pair of new 45 DCOE 9s I’d had since the late 70s, and a used pair of 40 DCOE 4s that I figured I would use someday. The latter are now on 1488.

We’ve got the engine running and idling nicely, but as a fresh engine I’ve seen no need to rev it very high. A couple of times I would open the throttle, and noticed it would just go flat, and lose RPM. Great. A problem with a pair of fresh G. Raymond carbs.

So, today, I unscrewed the caps, and went to pull out one of the emulsion stacks, and discovered there was nothing at all under the retaining caps!

That explains the absence of anything above the transition zone.

So, for starters, I popped in a set of F16s, 120 mains, and 170 air correctors.

Yikes. Looks like I’ll need a rev limiter to keep the engine under 7,000 RPM..

761 - 780 of 1042 Posts