Alfa Romeo Forums banner

701 - 720 of 1045 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
Wow, this is sure turning out beautiful. That paint...

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Turns out that the front “downpipe” that came with the car, and which was in remarkable condition, doesn’t fit a CI 2000. Alas. Interestingly, ten years ago I had a stainless front pipe made, without resonator, and had it serving duty on the display engine. Both are now reunited in the car. We’ll mount the rear bumper today (Wednesday), then finish installing the exhaust.

I need to make a minor adjustment to the heater water outlet from the pump, in order to clear the air cleaner assembly. Plenum was primed. Wrinkle black tomorrow. Pile of distributors and parts on bench, getting ready for Pertronix install.

Stuart at K4C has all my keys figured out, except the trunk. Need more pics on that one.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Add to parts suppliers

Can you add the last two posts of wonderfull information to the parts supplier sticky at the top of this forum please

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Can you add the last two posts of wonderfull information to the parts supplier sticky at the top of this forum please
I don’t know what you’re referring to. My post is just my normal puddle-of-consciousness blather, and the other is just Bob telling me he likes yellow. You have to take into account that when he walks out his front door he’s surrounded by several horses’ worth of steaming processed grazing.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #705
But, back to the puddle....

Got plenum sprayed. Restored a good dizzy and installed the Pertronix MR143. The first one I did about ten years ago required me to rip off the oil wiper from the original plate in the diz, in order to screw in the Hall effect sensor. The new one only needed me to pop out the old plate and pop in the new, complete with pre-mounted sensor. Woo hoo.

I bashed together an ugly set of wires, stabbed the diz, set the crank to “AF”, turned on the switch, and slowly rotated the diz until I got a POP, and tightened it all up. I’ll double check the phase between the timing and rotor location later.

I’m busy playing in a bridge tourney until Sunday, but I predict a first engine start no later than mid next week.

By the way.... has anyone actually operated a Dentax box on Redline NS? Not second hand info. Actually put a bunch of miles on with NS?

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
I don’t know what you’re referring to. My post is just my normal puddle-of-consciousness blather, and the other is just Bob telling me he likes yellow. You have to take into account that when he walks out his front door he’s surrounded by several horses’ worth of steaming processed grazing.
I think he means the reference to Larry Jr.

Larry is the son of APE (Alfa Parts Exchange) which is owned by Larry Sr. It is already in the supplier sticky.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #707
How could you play with old Alfas and not have both of the Larry’s on speed dial?

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
How could you play with old Alfas and not have both of the Larry’s on speed dial?
I agree.

But the poster asking lives in the U.K.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Got a start

After doing a handful of other tasks, I came back to the engine and stabbed the distributor. Using my big-a$$ socket, I pulled the crank around to AF, and turned the diz until I got a spark on #1.

Went away for a few days.

Got in a new set of Pertronix "stock look" 7mm wires, and got them on board. For a giggle, I squirted some gas into the carb bores and cranked. Nothing but a couple of "woofs". Oh well. Later.

This morning, I pulled the right cam cover, rolled it around to the correct timing mark, and popped the diz cap. Ooops. 180 out. Before I stabbed the diz someone rolled the engine around for some reason. Probably something to do with installing the new clutch retaining bolts. Anyway, it was quick work to pull out the diz and rotate it 180, recheck the AF line up, and bolt it all back together.

This time I filled the carb bowls through the top hole, cranked, and VOILA!. It immediately settled into a nice, smooth idle. Wow. I haven't done a thing on carb synch or idle speed yet.

As there's no radiator or coolant, I shut things down within about 5-8 seconds.

Next - install plenum, radiator, hoses, coolant, and remainder of the exhaust system. Maybe a full run will be my next post. Not sure how to post videos here. Maybe link to Youtube? I think I used to post there, but not sure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Exciting times!
Yes try and do a YouTube video, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it run after following your resto thread.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
This time I filled the carb bowls through the top hole, cranked, and VOILA!. It immediately settled into a nice, smooth idle. Wow.
Congratulation !

Just place your Youtube link on your post and will all have the pleasure to see your running engine.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Started to install the middle muffler this evening and discovered I need a connecting pipe from the end of the downpipe to the front of the mid. No biggie. Hmmm. Might be the moment to consider a GTA-style side exit? Or a cutout?

Hope to have the radiator and other hot-water goodies in tomorrow.

Anyone know a source for the little round spring grip-bushings that grab the two prongs on the back of the grille Alfa emblem? Maybe call Larry again.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
By the way.... has anyone actually operated a Dentax box on Redline NS? Not second hand info. Actually put a bunch of miles on with NS?

It depends how you define a "bunch of miles". I believe that I've been using Red Line MT-90 (75W90) not 'NS' in the Blue Two-liter for about the last 15 years. We've covered only about 7,000 miles in that time period but there appear to have been no ill effects. Apparently the car has been running Red Line (75W90) in the rear end as well.

I have a bottle of NS but don't think it has been used in anything yet...

IMAG6196.jpg

Remember, our good friend Jay was able to find the exact replacement for Dentax 90 in a Shell, Spirax S1 G 90. The S1 G 90 has Identical physical characteristics to Dentax 90.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #715
I already have about 2 - 3 gallons of Dentax in a big tub. I've already poured some NS into 1488, based upon various claims that it SHOULD work. I understand the chemistry, and expect it'll be OK. If there's anything untoward, I'll dump it straight out and put in the Dentax.

I want to hoard what's left of my Dentax, as that's what I started with in 00072, and I'd like it to last whatever number of years or angry husbands I have remaining.

I'll be putting Redline GL5 into the rear end. Better for the hypoid stuff back there.

Now back to the frustrations in the shop. Nothing is going easily or quickly this morning.

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
It lives, it lives!

We got things more or less buttoned into place. I had to use the K&N filters for now, until I get some heater hose plumbing moved around. The exhaust back of the down pipe needs to be installed, but I've got to get a connecting pipe first.

Engine fired right up, and without any prior carb adjusting, behaved more or less great. We had removed the oil pressure feed line for the first start to ensure it was making pressure. That was instantly confirmed. The fuel filter gasket was leaking, so I've temporarily installed an O-Ring for the engine test. Need to find a real Fispa gasket somewhere. Generator light works, and confirmed charge. Oil pressure gauge indicated exactly what I'd expect for a cold engine.... about 3/4 span, idle at mid-span.

I took a few seconds at the end of the video to tweak the throttle balance and mixture screws, quickly discovering I'll need a throttle return spring mounted directly to the throttle shafts. I'm using a bottom-linkage this time, which only provides for a cable connection. 00072 uses a top linkage, and that provides one or two return springs for the carbs. The top is a better system, but the bottom has a cleaner look. Not a problem.

More thinking to be done on GTA style side exhaust.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Congratulations!!
Another month or two and you'll be driving down the road. Really enjoyed watching your progress, cant wait to see it finished 🙂

·
Push hard and live
8,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #719
701 - 720 of 1045 Posts