Alfa Romeo Forums banner

681 - 700 of 1043 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
30 min solo install

That will be that engine tilter thingy you have then

Note for other quick engine installers, as Don's last photo - rear gear box mounting, engine mounts , oil pressure pipe and oilfilter fitted prior to install

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
The point at which the oil filter canister crosses the frame cross-brace and idler arm is the only real hangup. With the tilter it is just a matter of carefully raising, lowering, and changing the tilt to easily navigate the insertion.

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #684 (Edited)
What a pain in the glass

Got the new door glass assemblies back today.

About two hours to get the right side this far, and it’s not done yet.

Interesting differences between my 59 and this 60. Appears to be some possibility that the glass panels will remain in place against the forward seal while driving speedily along with the windows up.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #685 (Edited)
Round and round it goes

Much done in two days. Having my son around to help is turning out to be a significant plus.

Mounted the original starter, as it looked nearly new. Didn't bother to check in on the bench first. Ooops. Dead solenoid. Pulled out the original crusty starter from 00072 (now using the Bosch/FNM unit). Its solenoid worked, so we mated it to the clean 1408 unit, and now the engine spins vigorously with the plugs removed. That's a great feeling.

Today, we got the two brake protection plates mounted, including new heat blanket in the firewall box. The muffler heat shield is ready to go on, but we turned our attentions to the front suspension springs. Now that the engine is in, it was time. That done, we torqued up the drum-retaining nuts on the front, and installed the new wheels and tires. One of the goofy star washers exploded while being torqued, which gave me quite a start as it felt much like the stud had stripped. I'm not so sure I like using star washers in this application. Maybe a drop of Loctite blue and a precision flat washer makes more sense.

Anyway, we've now dropped the car down onto the front wheels in order to unload the over-extension bumpers. This left us so happy we hung the hood just for the gratuitous grins. I've got a little work to do on the hood before making it a permanent part of the car, but it'll keep the banshees from playing around the engine bay while I'm not watching.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Very nice result Don !

The muffler heat shield is ready to go on
Did you remove the asbestos or did you leave it on place ?
I have the project to remake my plate starting from a sheet of aluminum and adding a modern thermal protectio. But if you have managed to restore yours, I would be happy to understand how.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
This whole project and your documentation is so inspiring and so much an eye-opener. Claus Menzel and I used to talk on the phone at 5 AM and again at ****tail hour DAILY on the whacko setbacks we each had restoring our Sprints. He had far more experience than I and we would marvel just how in the hell a "restoration" shop could bill out 5 or 6 hours to install a frigging door glass or a door latch because that's how long it would take us and we had done it before and they didn't have a clue!... then there was the constant searches through the stash for parts and fasteners and chasing subcontractors on the phone and by foot! Claus was hilarious! My wife never understood a "verd" he spoke because it was half German and half pigeon English...mix in some blue language in both languages and it was better than Robin Williams on steroids. I swear I never laughed so hard in my life! I miss the hell out of the old goat. I hope you are logging your hours. Lookin' good!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Your car is looking stunning. But what I'd really like to know is..... how the hell do you keep your workshop so tidy?
Mine looked like a bomb had gone off by the end of the day 🙂

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
No, I did not remove the asbestos, or significantly restore the muffler heat shield. Asbestos is a problem only if it’s disturbed, turned into dust, and kept floating in the air. An intact blanket, securely attached to a panel under my car is no problem. As with much of this car, the muffler shield was in nice shape, so we just touched it up with a bit of high-temp paint.

As for “tidy” shop.....

Akira Kurosawa was once asked how he selected such a stunning shot for a big battle scene in his feudal-Japanese movie “Ran”? He replied “from any other angle you could see the Toyota plant”.

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #690
Drive shaft center bearing

I'm about to reassemble the driveshaft, and hopefully install it. A quick review of the manuals raised a mystery.

The shop manual shows both expanded and cutaway pictures of two "cones" placed on either side of the center support bearing. The 2000 parts book shows no such cones. However, the 2600 does show the cones.

What am I missing?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,511 Posts
Don the cones or cups are thin sheet metal or tin dust cups, they are simply there to protect the intermediate bearing from crud, stones, low flying pigeons and small children.

I'm sure you replaced the bearing with a new one, probably a sealed one too.... no need for the cups then

Some of my Giulietta's have them, others don't.

Aye
Greig

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Don the cones or cups are thin sheet metal or tin dust cups, they are simply there to protect the intermediate bearing from crud, stones, low flying pigeons and small children.

I'm sure you replaced the bearing with a new one, probably a sealed one too.... no need for the cups then

Some of my Giulietta's have them, others don't.

Aye
Greig
I'll second what Greig says. I found the cones in a pile of parts missing for a millennium from my car .. I thought it was wise to put them back in when I changed the bearing after going 30 years without them and it was a mistake. .. all they did was cause a racket as the spring was binding ... leave 'em off. Alfa was never consistent in the application. Some cars did have them and some didn't.. I opted for didn't.

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #693
I haven't done the reassembly yet, so options remain. I don't recall ever running into these cups before, and this ain't my first Alfa.

That's what I get for reading the instructions BEFORE doing the work. I'll go back to the tried and tested approach.

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #694
The driveshaft was already dismantled when I got the car. In addition to the two cups, I'm missing the woodruff keys for the middle giubo, and whatever washer/spacer goes between the three-hole giubo mount and the face of the center support bearing. Research required.

Got the slave cylinder in place, except return spring and bleeding. Ran out of time.

Hood securing pin/spring assembly and safety hold-down in place and adjusted. Four rubber hood alignment stanchions in place to ensure matching gaps.

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #696
A “woodruff key” is the steel,half-moon that fits into a slot in a shaft, and over which something else slides. The key makes sure the pulley or end fitting turns with the shaft.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Don and All,
About your 102 drivetrain without the dust cups,
I thought that when the 2 cups were used there would always be a spring involved . That spring you can see on your exploded view on post # 690.
The same 3 parts were used in a set on the later Giuliettas, Giulias and on the 2600 cars indeed. ( same Alfa numbers for all models)
I have a not dismantled 102 roadster propeller shaft that doesn’t have the cups. I made some quick pictures to show it. I hope you can see that there is also no spring here and that the bearing is of the closed type ones. There isn’t any spacer on this place but you will need two half- moon key’s that btw are the same for all Alfa models of that time.
As you mentioned before, these parts are not in the 2000 parts catalog . Even on the drawing of the shaft in the instruction book and also on an earlier technical drawing of the 2000 shaft there are no cups and spring.
Could we conclude that Alfa didn’t use these parts on the 102 2000 cars at all, or maybe only on the latest cars of the 102 series, starting when Alfa introduced these cups on the Giuliettas and 2600?
Untill now, Carl R. D. and I couldn’t find the exact introduction date of these parts for the Giulietta.
Rgds,
Thierry

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #700 (Edited)
I’ve got what I need coming from Larry jr. Probably wont use the cups.

Got the clutch hydraulics up and running today. Mainly a case of needing the right freeplay at the master to get the fluid flowing. I sure like the way the F&S diaphragm feels with the 2300 better than the old-school B&W in this application.

Shimmed the right door window, and it goes up and down smooth as owl snot. When I had the car down at Kelly’s I took along a set of door and glass stuff so we could match the weight to get a straight hang. Seems to have worked, as the right door with window and winder now closes nicely with a gentle swing.

Test fitted the air cleaner housing. I need to adjust the bypass water piping about 1/4” to give no-worries clearance. I expect to start working on the plenum and distributor shortly.

681 - 700 of 1043 Posts