Alfa Romeo Forums banner

601 - 620 of 1045 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
I had a few 10204 cars back in the early 70's. My aging memory was that they were a sort of odd off-greenish-bluish-yellow. I had a few pans powder coated years ago, and this baby-poop yellow was the closest I could come at the time. I've got another pan done recently in an odd sci-fi-pod-creature bluish-green. I have no idea what is closest to original, and previous discussions on the BB added to the confusion rather than reduced it.

Now that we've had "Carter" cleared up as to meaning, might it be derived from E R Burrough's "John Carter of Mars", indicating a transmutation device in which mechanical objects cease being where they were intended to be, and instantly appear elsewhere wondering how they got there?

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Now that we've had "Carter" cleared up as to meaning, might it be derived from E R Burrough's "John Carter of Mars", indicating a transmutation device in which mechanical objects cease being where they were intended to be, and instantly appear elsewhere wondering how they got there?
I seem to have a few wandering, microscopic black holes in my home and my garage, where stuff disappears for a while, so that I can't find it, only to find it later in exactly the place I looked for (and remember putting them) in the first place. Rarely does the stuff show up elsewhere, but it certainly has happened, leaving me wondering how it got there. Maybe some of the black holes grew into worm holes? :D:D:D

Then again, it may just be that the black spot in my eyes (and brain) are getting larger, or my memory lapses more, as I age.

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
I returned from a flight in the Mooney last Wednesday. I put the airplane keys in the console of the Mazda. Gotta go back in the air tomorrow, and no keys. Maybe they are in a very tight crevice between the console and the seat bolsters, but my fat hands aren't finding them.

I have a spare ignition key, but had to hunt down the hangar owner to get a backup to the hangar key.

Gwah. Life is calling me to pack it all in, and move to a tropical beach where a young lady who can't speak English keeps up with the mojito delivery.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I seem to have a few wandering, microscopic black holes in my home and my garage, where stuff disappears for a while, so that I can't find it, only to find it later in exactly the place I looked for (and remember putting them) in the first place. Rarely does the stuff show up elsewhere, but it certainly has happened, leaving me wondering how it got there. Maybe some of the black holes grew into worm holes? :D:D:D

Then again, it may just be that the black spot in my eyes (and brain) are getting larger, or my memory lapses more, as I age.
I understand completely. I am waiting everyday for my handbrake to come back from the Twilight Zone or maybe it's the "Skinwalker Ranch" phenomenon.:alien:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
might it be derived from E R Burrough's "John Carter of Mars", indicating a transmutation device in which mechanical objects cease being where they were intended to be, and instantly appear elsewhere wondering how they got there?
I was talking about this "Carter" n:smile2:

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #607
Ok, some of you lost a merit badge.

When I first tossed the gauges into the pod, I reversed the speedo and tach, AND NOT ONE OF YOU CAUGHT IT.

it was finally time to button up the whole dash, so I’ve put them back where they go. Now, I just need to find an odometer reset cable. I’ve got extra gauges, but no cable.

At this point...

Trunk lid installed. Closes like a Mercedes. Thump-click.
Dash, electrics, cables, controls, hydraulics, wipers, rear suspension all finished, except for connections to the engine and trans, which are yet to be installed.

The list remaining is getting short.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Entertainment?

Sorry! I missed some entertainment while failing to keep up with this thread.

Note: If one does not know where the tach goes in a dash, it may be best to place it nearest the center?

For "carter", look for "carter seco" (used in Italy most often to reference a dry-sump oiling system) … and then practice your best and worst Italian.

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
I know only the latter version of Italian.

It took about 3 hours to put the last two grommets and retaining plates onto the firewall. The two next to the cabin air diverter tube. I won’t repeat the details, but it was a pain.

All levers and cables in place and working.

Break time.

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #614
I’ve got my other 102 sitting it the garage next door to refer to. I was just too lazy to walk over there.

The giveaway, of course, is the hole drilled in the bottom of the dash for the odo reset.

Serge...

Thank you again for those cage nuts. One of my originals broke yesterday, and I sent my blessings to your name.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I have an odo reset stem-winder from a Giulietta 90 mm long to base of thumb knob... yours if you can make it work. might be too short. If you just misplaced yours, it will show up in your sock drawer.

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
I never saw the winder with this project. I suspect it was gone, and is now lurking in Fernald's garage, although he did a pretty good job of keeping stuff together.

The 102 uses Veglia gauges, and the stem winder is a flexible cable. It is exactly 90mm from the bottom of the instrument case to the lower surface of the instrument panel. Thus, the overall length of the winder, including the threaded end to screw into the receptacle inside the instrument, and protrude through the lower dash panel, would probably be 100 - 110 mm.

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
A lot of the 105 Berlina's used Veglia gauges. Might be something to check into.

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #618 (Edited)
More systems complete

A bunch of stuff checked off, and tested.

Front turn and fog lights done. I had to make some new spring retainers for the turn signal assembly, which meant I had to order some .047" music wire. I now have 98 remaining 1' lengths of such wire if anyone needs some.

10 years ago I found some yellow BPF bulbs, so got the fog lights up and going. I've also ordered some LED BPF bulbs, just because I'm curious. I've never had much faith that the yellow incandescent fog lights would do much except help me find any change I'd dropped right in front of the car.

I bought a pair of rear door-jamb trim pieces from Franco. At first, I had my doubts, but they worked just fine after filing off a little of the upper tip to get them to lay down better. These strips on my 59 run straight up the rear jamb. The originals I removed from this 1960 are curved at the top, to better conform to the face of the jamb. For some reason, I prefer the look of the straight ones from Franco, so all good. I ended up polishing them a bit more than they arrived from Europe, so now they better match the polished stainless bottom jamb trim.

Had to rotate the steering shaft 180 degrees, else I would have been driving with the wheel upside down while headed straight down the road.

Getting the engine ready will have to wait on the rework of the cams, but we'll be converting the oil filter away from the spin-on mod, and back to the original configuration.

Anyone know a source for the original style clutch pressure plate bolts? I notice that ARP lists an 8mm X 1.25 clutch bolt, but I'm pretty sure these need to be 1.0, plus have a tight-tolerance upper shank to provide plate centering.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
Pack rat

10 years ago I made a crude plaster mold to make silicone gaskets for the front turn and fog lamp assemblies. I still had it stored in a box. Not a perfect solution, but a very good one.

Stumbled onto the Touring production tag, which I knew I had, but not where. Maybe the doors of the "lost stuff room" are starting to open.

I thought Pertronix made a part number up for the S73B distributor? I spoke to them, and no tengo. I'll have to send off my diz to have them fit one up. I ordered a Marelli coil to match. I know it won't be identical to the original, but those are life-limited items, and NLA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
"Well Don",

Reading you and seeing you pictures is a real pleasure : I have a hard time finding the energy to finalize some small details on my Spider, your posts are always a source of motivation.

Could you please give me these dimensions :

door-jamb-rear-trim-close.jpg

Regarding levers, you can easily put black paint on the lettering and have a very nice finishing :

Levers.jpg

Regarding door-jamb trim : Some pictures shaw body painted trim, some shaw polished trim as yours. What is the right configuration ?

601 - 620 of 1045 Posts