Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1045 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I had 00072's rear view mirror done by a company in the Bay Area. They informed me that the original color on the glass was a "cobalt" plating, which they no longer did. I wonder if your gun metal is another term for that sort of bluish color?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I had 00072's rear view mirror done by a company in the Bay Area. They informed me that the original color on the glass was a "cobalt" plating, which they no longer did. I wonder if your gun metal is another term for that sort of bluish color?
Not likely, I think they originally called it "black chrome" but on the receipt that I dug out this morning it clearly states "Gun Metal" so that is what I typed. Definitely not bluish color, mine was and is again a unique dark tinted or black chrome. Here is a photo that was taken at the TN AROC National Convention in 2001.

Alfa 2.L_TN_ Mirror.jpg

Regarding your Carello's, I did a quick Google search and came up with the following headlight re-silvering service, although I'd call Cliff's first and check their price. Steve's price is about $150 each for 7" lights.
http://www.realsteel.com/services/headlight-resilvering/
Mark

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,012 Posts
I was at Bob's a year ago picking up a part or two and receiving sage wisdom about driveshafts, and Bob had all the 2000's parts laid out in methodical order on tarps taking an inventory. Out of the blue he asked me if I had the hood trim piece it was missing. He'd thought I'd received it for a car. I asked, Bob what car would I have that it fit? None. He said "I thought I'd given it to you". No Bob, not. He so wanted it to be complete. I spent some time with him matching bits and assemblies up. It'll all just bolt back up with that patina!! ;-) Congrats. BTW, that handshake stuff is pretty common in our circle and with many we deal with. Cars can be sold on a verbal and held for months without any inquiry. I send off big wires to folks in Europe without even a flutter. We can owe each other good sums for months and not say a word. That passage in your opener was endearing.

BTW that young couple dancing flamenco in the park is a very modern style, very choppy and stylized. Not that languorous sensuous style you describe. They look like Van Cliburn playing Chopin like it was a timed race event versus Rubinstein's syncopation and feel.

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Up on the stands

I finally had a free evening to dig into 1488 some more. Generally, disassembly is going smoothly, although there were two left-side lug nuts that I noticed were not fully seated up. Attempts to remove them produced spinning studs. Dang. Some penetrant and butane torch got them off, but there'll be some wheel studs to sort out on the left front wheel.

Anyone ever seen shiny, silver metal on both the inside and outside of an original 102 spare tire tub, after removing some paint and primer? Nah, me neither.

I got the back half of the wiring harness pulled loose. Only the section from the driver's floor up through the firewall remains. That's where I wearied of the day's work. The battery cable is in a similar state of removal. Both the harness and battery cable were in very good condition, but they'll be replaced in any case. I'm fond of the 00 welding cable for the battery. Lionel will make a new harness.

Seats, carpet, and rubber mats all removed. Yes, the mats were held in place by those cute snaps. I have stock of the male part of those snaps, but where does one find the female that fits onto the rubber mat?

On my running 102, I chose to lay the rubber mats on top of the unmolested carpet. 1488 has it the other way around. Both make sense, in a way.

I keep finding more evidence of a whitish paint under everything I remove. The driver's side door latch and rubber guide were both still covered with very old and dry masking tape, clearing indicating an effort to paint the car at some point. Under both the latch and rubber bumper is a color very closely matching my grigio biacca. I like the color, so if the museo comes back with confirmation, we're off to the races. The remaining question to be go back with the often seen red vinyl, or red carpet and black seats/door panels as this car appears to have, or another Scottish brown saddle leather interior?

I took a bunch of pics, but Apple decided it was more important to update the iOS (and presumably slow down my phone in an effort to make me buy a new one), so I can't upload anything at the moment. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
3,519 Posts
Hello Don

Congratulations on your new purchase, I always enjoy reading about your exploits & I fear we share the same inability to say "no" to the next project.....

You have one saddle brown interior already, so my vote would be to go with the current colour combination, admittedly I go weak at the knees for a red interior, but in this case paired with the black seats and door panels the red carpeting & vinyl gear lever boot would really brighten up the interior & a slightly darker red would lend a touch of class. For the exterior colour I agree on Touring White, or perhaps white with a hint of blue like Azzuro Nube or a touch of yellow like Biancospino or Giallo Paglerino (Parchment). Another option would be white with a hint of grey - any of these would be a stunning colour for such an elegant car. Paired with the red & black interior would be very classy.

Ciao
Greig

750's
101's
105's
Others

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Grieg,

There's long been a debate about Grigio Biacca. The problem stems from the tragically flawed idea that one can visit your local paint store, look up the code, and have paint brewed up that will, voila, match the original color.

It doesn't work that way.

I was fortunate to find a couple of patches of unspoiled paint under the top hold-down brackets. We color-matched them, and got a gorgeous creamy white. It would look fine with the original red vinyl, but I chose the saddle-brown leather for my personal car. The angels sing.

1488 is a car I plan to sell. I don't need two, and 00072 is stinking fast with the 2300cc engine. So, I'm tending toward strict conformity for 1488.

My problem with it's current configuration is that a white exterior, red carpet, and black vinyl starts to look like three colors. Black carpet with red vinyl actually looks like two, and is a much more elegant impression.

Meanwhile, saddle leather still sings, and based upon several years of observation, is likely to appeal to a potential buyer's wife.

Decision still pending

·
Super Moderator
3,519 Posts
I hear you, creamy white with red interior and black carpets would be my choice, but if saddle brown is a draw card for the next owner's wife, then that is what it'll be !!

Cheers
Greig

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Tear down continues

I took a few hours this morning to take apart some more stuff. Wanted to get the wiring harness out, but decided I needed to take out a bunch of stuff both under the dash, and forward of the firewall to make the bundle extraction through the firewall possible. That turned into master cylinder removals, brake union extraction (needed some heat to get the nuts out), hood off, etc. So far, no broken off studs or terminally resistant bolts and nuts.

Better yet, I cannot find a trace of rust on the underbody. Black stuff and oil, yes, and a little dusting of red on a few items where the undercoating is missing, but no biscuit dough! I think there'll be some small repairs around the bottom of the door openings, one door bottom, and just at the lower back end of the front wheel arches. Fingers remain crossed.

Below are just a few shots, plus one of some mystery parts. I've never encountered the black spears or the wheel hub cover (?) before. I found three pennies, one a 1960D, and the other two 1964D. Not rare, as such, but you don't much find them floating around in change anymore.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,142 Posts
Black spears look like the GTV trunk rear inner panel top cover, on each side of the latch, holding down the rubber drape.
Hub thingy looks quite aftermarket? American maybe?
Andrew

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was hoping someone would tell me the three pennies were worth a ton. Oh well.

Anyone want the spears? I can mail them back to Bob Fernald if they belong to a car at his place.

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Endurance session in the shop

I dug in around noon, and came inside at 7:00, having had only one pee break.

Wiring harness out.
All air circulation out.
Instruments out
Switches out.
Horns out
Regulator and relays out.
Hood off.
Brake and clutch master cylinders and plumbing out
Brake union and front piping out
bottom heat shield out
And I'm sure other stuff.....

The car seems to have had a pair of period Marchal driving lights installed. There are two switches under the left dash area that could have been purchased as surplus from Dr. Frankenstein's lab. I originally assumed I'd take this car back to as near original as I could stand, but these things are cool, and definitely installed early in the car's life. Some rechroming will be required, but the lenses are perfect, and switches are cool.

This is the first 102 I've dug into that had the entire floor, footwell, rear seat area, and top storage bay lined with padded insulation. It's hard to believe this was added after the car was assembled, as that would have required a lot of things being pulled out just to cover the flooring. I plan to go back the same.

Both of the 10204's I've owned and driven were 59 models. This 60 has a number of tiny refinements, including the sound deadening mentioned above. The trans cross member is different, but I don't know why. Several pipes and wires have extra and well-placed clamps to hold them firmly in place. On the whole, more "production line" appearance and less "where should we put this?" look.

There's an odd, and I don't believe original, bracket mounted just ahead of the radiator. Air horn mounting? Radiator fan? Oil cooler?

I'm going with air horns, but no evidence of them in the pile of parts. Probably got robbed off the car when it was taken away from the kids, and installed on some young lad's Rambler.

It is at this point that I am most excited, and most despairing. I've been yanking things out, taking care, reminding me just how many little bits have to be individually restored, or replaced, replated, fiddled with, and generally dealt with. However, I got a lot done today. Perhaps 3 or 4 more days like today, and the car will be down to its shell. I do have a sense things are going more quickly. Having done one of these only a decade ago, there's some muscle memory as to what the sequence is for dismantling, and hopefully reassembling, everything.

Still, at the moment it's about 50/50 exuberance and despair.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
More pics to document what I'm finding

A few random shots

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Doug,

Andrew is probably right regarding the black spears :

OKP105445938300_chromblende_koraum_GT.jpg

Take care with the bottom heat shield : It is asbestos fiber.

About 50/50 exuberance and despair : I know that so much

·
Push hard and live
8,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
These tear downs are like a forensic autopsy. Was it a crime scene, or genetic mutation?

I tend to think the bracket at the front was air horns. The horn button on the steering wheel had the headlight flasher wire disconnected. Why? Possibly that ring had been rewired to control the air horns, but when they were removed they disconnected the wire to avoid shorting things up front rather than reconnect stuff back to being a headlight flasher. There were some non standard wires up front, but I didn't take time to trace them for function.

BTW, I'm not concerned about the asbestos. It's a factor only when it's in a dust form, and inhaled. As a woven fabric, and coated in oil, it's not a threat.

My vague recollection is that the rubber mats were held in place by little snaps. Not the sort of snaps that we see today, but little "dot" looking snaps. This car has the more modern snaps, so I'm wondering if, by 1960, these had displaced the earlier version.

As I noted, the floor boards have well-laid insulation on them. Each snap was supported by a small steel ferrule that penetrates the insulation, rather than have an unsupported snap compress the insulation. Thus, the rubber mats would have laid flat rather than have a dimple at each attach point. That seems like work a factory would do, rather than a later enthusiastic owner.

The plastic lens cover over the choke-on indicator light is still white, rather than the always-seen sun-yellowed. Further indication of long-term protected storage.

My steering wheel puller managed to strip one of the bolt holes. I've heli-coiled it, but turned my attentions elsewhere for now.

About the only discouragement is the condition of the push-pull handles below the dash. They are all a bit crusty. Maybe someone has a pair of these assemblies from a sacrificial car?

·
Premium Member
21,142 Posts
The "frankenswitches" look like Lucas beavertails, perhaps from a Giulietta. The flip-flop reversal internal shuttle is like on 101 cars on the underdash switches.
Andrew

41 - 60 of 1045 Posts