Alfa Romeo Forums banner

541 - 560 of 1047 Posts

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Interestingly, on all of the 10204s I've worked on, this part seems to survive in acceptable condition. It never sees the light, the road, gasoline, or oil, so lives a fairly protected life.

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #542
Cluster days

Monday, a Cicognani order arrived. It included an entirely duplicated order, and left out a couple of things I ordered. Normally, they’re very good. It’s a mystery how they shipped, and billed me, for an identical order received a couple of months ago. Of course, the two missing parts kept me from finishing the trunk area or starting the windshield.

The World Upholstery kit has three pieces made wrong. I suspect they used the pattern for a 2600 when making the rear floorboard pieces. The pad surrounding the headlight switch and washer pump has incorrect holes. I’m pretty sure they did this 10 years ago, as well.

I got the left kick plate done. Probably right side tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #543
Stretching

A bit of this and that today.

Any of you who’ve done a Touring have encountered these things, but as a warning to those considering undertaking one...

Proof this car is a unicorn. This is the original shift tower boot. Soft and supple. How did it survive?

The kick panels are Masonite. You must sand the lower few inches to make them thinner so they are easy to bend to conform to the contour of the lower sill. Much has to be considered to make them fit well, including the perfect glue-on of the carpet, so the end aligns precisely where they can be captured and held in place by the screwed-on trim.

The driveshaft tunnel carpet requires several individual pieces of “Dynomat”, with a place near the middle needing a second layer to smooth out the transition to avoid wrinkles in the carpet.

At first, I was sure the top pit cover was too small. I’ve decided it’s going to fit, but is going to require significant stretching, and probably heating the shop to a point where I’ll work in my skivvies. I’m going to study this for quite awhile as I’d hate to have to buy more leather.

The circumstantial evidence is that this car was special ordered with some odd details, including a full carpet set. The floor structure’s first layer was dynomat, then rubber mats attached with screws topped with male snap heads, then carpet attached on top with female snaps. The male snaps were mounted on top of little self-piercing barrel spacers to prevent the snap heads from compressing the dynomat.

All the evidence on disassembly is this was original, or installed very soon after delivery. It’s going back together that way.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #544 (Edited)
Flat rate

In my teens, I was drawn to import cars, which eventually led to me working in the imported auto parts business. This was a stroke of good fortune, as if I’d gone into professional wrenching I’d have gone broke working against a flat-rate manual.

I just redid the installation of the brake master cylinder because the washers on the ends of the two bolts weren’t the same diameter.

I also repositioned the right kick panel carpet because there was a slight “pouch” where it curled over the sill carpet.

I was able to find the two original holes in the floorboard (now very nicely coated with a bed-liner type material) to attach the snaps for the carpet. I was able to find a very close match to the original carpet snaps, by the way.

I’ve begun gluing the pit cover. Lots of careful stretching, and doing small lengths at a time.

Looks like I’ll have a local machinist make up a batch of seat back pivot bolts, if anyone needs one or more. Chrome, or white cadmium?

Does anyone know if Cicognani, or the entirety of Italy, shuts down until the new year?

Local wild horse herd shared my dog walk this morning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,925 Posts
I'm trying to import an Alfa from Italy and was told by the seller "during these days of vacation we can not do much". How many days of vacation is anyones guess.

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
I wake up every morning since the car came back from the body shop, anxiously looking forward to the day’s work. It’s become so motivating that I’ve skipped my almost-daily CrossFit habit for nearly a month. Yesterday, I forced myself to get back in the box, if for no other reason than discovering how far I’d fallen out of condition. In addition to the typical warmup, and scheduled workout of deadlifts and sit-ups, the December daily “cashout” was 100 sit-ups. I’ve been timing these as a way of tracking my overall conditioning. Yesterday, I rattled off 100 in 2 minutes 59 seconds. A new record.

Maybe all the crawling around, upside down has kept the old body in reasonable shape after all.

Today’s goal:

Finish gluing the pit cover.
Clean and install idler arm assembly.
Brake light switch
Clutch master cylinder
Brake fluid canister-to-cylinder feed pipes
Prepare fluid canister for paint.
Apply regulator decal (thank you, Serge)
Keep looking for trunk lock tumblers which I know were once here. Might have given them to DoggaDave.
Send query to Keys For Classics about prepping keys for cutting.

I wonder what the over/under is on that list?

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #548 (Edited)
Extra points?

“Finish gluing the pit cover.
Clean and install idler arm assembly.
Brake light switch
Clutch master cylinder
Brake fluid canister-to-cylinder feed pipes
Prepare fluid canister for paint.
Apply regulator decal (thank you, Serge)
Keep looking for trunk lock tumblers which I know were once here. Might have given them to DoggaDave.
Send query to Keys For Classics about prepping keys for cutting.”

Pit cover glued, check.
Idler arm, untouched, delay of game
Brake light switch, check, and wired
Clutch master cylinder, check
Brake and clutch canister feed pipes, check. Plus all hardlines except feed to rear brakes, extra points
Prep brake fluid canister, did two of them, double check
Apply regulator decal. Tried three, all failed. Printing rubs off, decal wrinkles and tears. Bloody impossible. Personal foul.
Kept looking for lock tumblers. Didn’t find. Tie.
Query to KFC. Nope. Try again tomorrow, when it will be Monday their time! Sneak play for a first down.

I didn’t recall just how goofball the hydraulic plumbing is. I don’t think there’s any two fittings the same, and I swear some of them don’t really match.

I’m definitely concerned that the clutch slave cylinder hose from CA may be incorrect. We’ll see.

Dayuhmn, Neil. This liquor you sent over makes me wish the end of the day came quicker.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #549
Ignore the white spots. They wipe off. Sanding residue.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Apply regulator decal. Tried three, all failed. Printing rubs off, decal wrinkles and tears. Bloody impossible. Personal foul.
It seams that the paper decal is just **** !

I will buy better quality paper and send you a new one. Grrrrrr !!!!

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #551
Did they work for you? Maybe my gloss clear spray was wrong type?

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #552
Odd membrances

The big wrench is what you need to deal with the feed-line banjo bolt on the brake master cylinder.

The 10mm wrench was modified to deal with the nuts holding the carb onto the manifold of the Stampe SV4C, as pictured as my avatar. This wrench has been with me for 30 years, and done it’s job on two continents in five countries

The jar of Xacto blades has held all my used blades since about 1988.

The Xacto knife was my dad’s. My first memory of it was as a six year old with him using it to make a U-control airplane.

Here’s the Alfa with its boot settling into position.

I transferred the car from rotisserie to jack stands. Left front suspension partially in place. Right needs some correction.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #553 (Edited)
Longggg day

Much done. Pictures better than words.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #555
Happy New Year Don, no surprise, she's beautiful.
Hiya Joe!

Got yer GT running yet?

I’m not long before doing the engine move. You up for some back-breaking labor?

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #557 (Edited)
Major inflection points

Perhaps we can view having all four wheel assemblies in position for operation as a major inflection point? Lots yet to do, of course, but it looks so much more like a car with four wheels.

The front suspension is completely done except for the sway bar and springs. I'll do the latter last, as it loads things up and makes it difficult to maneuver when needed.

I ran into an odd thing today. My memory being essentially a declining asset (or liability?), I don't recall if I ran into this before, or if I did, how I solved it.

The sway bar link bushings have an ID of roughly .546" (I know it was originally designed in metric, but it's an odd number in that method as well}. I say "roughly", as they were probably made in India or some place, and there is a degree of ambiguity in meeting spec. I had to declare a few of them I received as unserviceable as I could poke them through the sway bar link with my thumb.

Anyway..

The lower A-arm pin that accepts the lower end of the link is just about .546" also. Thus, it's an exact fit, neither interference nor loose. Maybe a .001 interference. Or .0005"

The machined pin on the end of my sway bar is roughly .556". That's a .010" interference, and since there's no way to realistically press on the bushings, AND that's a heck of a lot of interference for something that's going to depend upon the rubber to deal with the motion, I see no realistic way to force the bushing onto the pin.

I tried, after making up a special driver for my rivet gun. I made it 95% of the way before it said "no more". Meanwhile, this approach requires the angle of the sway bar link to be carefully aligned before driving it into place.

The catalog lists the same bushings for the top and bottom of the link. This appears to imply that the upper end on the sway bar is intended to be firmly pressed on, and the lower to have the ability to maybe rotate on the A-arm pin.

I don't like any of this. Why ask a steel pin and steel bushing to rotate without any possibility of lubrication? There appears to be about a .001" - .002" interference between the A-Arm pin and the ID of the bushing. That makes a reasonable sense if you're expecting to tap them in place with a simple driver. A .010" interference is hard work, and generally needs heat and chilling, and as it's the bar that would need chilling and the bushing that would need heat, I doubt that was the plan.

All of today's work came to a crashing end as I got the rear end in place held by the triangle and track rods.

My deadlift personal record is, at present, at the age of 67, 330#. The rear end assembly must be a bit less than that, but not a lot.

Here's the rotisserie "spine" if anyone is curious. As I absolutely, irrevocably, resolutely will never, under pain of another marriage to a bipolar women, do another 102 Roadster, maybe someone can use it?

On the other hand, if a 102 Sprint was available cheap, just about the time that they were recognized as the purest creation by Alfa and Giugiaro ever, and thus about to shoot up in value, then.... maybe...

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
8,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
In Crossfit, we do a thing called "Burpees". No, that's not a seed. It may be a torture proscribed by the Geneva Convention against inhumane treatment of prisoners of war.

It requires one to drop to the ground, do a push up, hop back up, jump up, and clap your hands above your head. Repeat the prescribed number of times.

Working under an Alfa, such as front and rear suspensions, brake cylinders, hand brake, etc, involves dropping to the ground, doing a roll over, hold something above your shoulders for a half hour or more, roll over, a push up, jump back up, clap one's hands in joy. Repeat as many times as necessary in 9 hours of shop time.

I've lost 10lbs in two weeks. My jeans are falling off my arse.

I'm doing a comparison experiment between high quality wine and "Chateau d'Cardboard box". The former requires one to drink a bottle, solo, every three days. The latter allows one to drink two glass every day, under the belief it is not excessive.

Either seems both necessary and reasonable after doing nine hours of Alfa-burpees.

·
Super Moderator
3,535 Posts
I'm doing a comparison experiment between high quality wine and "Chateau d'Cardboard box".
Don the correct term is "Chateau Collapseaux" or "Cardbordeaux" depending on the source material for the handy carry surround :wink2:

I'm really enjoying the pictures of the body colour contrasting against the interior, in my book you have a WIN-WIN there, keep up the good work !!

Aye
Greig

541 - 560 of 1047 Posts