Alfa Romeo Forums banner

481 - 500 of 1063 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Better living through chemistry

Getting through each 24 hours on DayQuil and Nyquil, as appropriate.

Did you know that a brand new Xacto blade can put a slice in your finger tip that’s so neat you don’t feel a thing, or even know it’s there? Fortunately, a little lacquer thinner will find them for you.

I need the plunger and inner lock pieces for the trunk. A year or two ago I gave away my spare wiper motor and trunk lock assembly to a very nice Aussie bloke. Today, I discovered the broken plunger and missing lock guts. I also gave up on my wiper motor and ordered a rebuilt one. Karma? Maybe.

Before the motor gave up I determined all the wiring was right. Just not enough torque from the motor. Plus, intermittent.

Nearly done with hood hinge welding jig.

Assembled windshield posts and seal retaining strips. A quick run with a 3mm tap, followed by a countersink, and those went straight together. Waiting on big rubber order to put on the windscreen.

I’m going to have to fab a new rear license plate holder. Should be easy to copy the one on 00072.

Cmon green, velvet hammer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Blood will usually indicate the source of a cut. How can you work on an Alfa without shedding a little blood?

.....Did you know that a brand new Xacto blade can put a slice in your finger tip that’s so neat you don’t feel a thing, or even know it’s there? Fortunately, a little lacquer thinner will find them for you.....

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
Blood will usually indicate the source of a cut. How can you work on an Alfa without shedding a little blood?
A fresh Xacto blade can slice through just the outer layer or two of skin, exposing but not penetrating the inner, blood containing, layers. That’s what happened to my left pointer finger. The slice in the tip of my left (currently unoccupied) ring finger did let out drips of Alfa red.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
Soooooo, you going to have it done by Christmas...

;)

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #486
Ok, ok, ok. I’ll go out on a limb here.

I’m old enough to know better than tempt the fates, but I fully expect to show it at Concorso 2019. The featured cars, if I recall, are Alfa 2000’s, 2600’s, and Montreal’s.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I plan to have mine ready then too.

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
My head hurts, my feet stink, and I don’t love Jesus...

A good, long day in the shop. Too busy to take pics, but I’ll catch up.

I got the under-hood lamp working. What a steam-punk POS. All freshly chromed, every detail shiny, and the 70 year old piece of Bakelite cracked. It’s been repaired, but I’m considering Teflon or kynar as a replacement. Although something harder that would create a durable tapped hole would be better. Graphite rod? Nah. Conductive.

The on-off toggle must have been a high school design project for the boss’ son.

Dynomat cut for the entire interior, and glued in place for all but the front floorboards. I was to the point of installing the rear crossmember carpet when I decided to walk away for the night.

I’m checking the mailbox daily for the square captive nuts Serge was gracious enough to offer so I can finish both sides of the firewall. That would be a major completion point. It’ll be after the new year that I get the cable levers back, truly completing the electrical and control systems.

In the next week I’ll either turn to the interior, or jack up the car on stands, remove the rotisserie structure, and start the under-body mechanical assembly. With the grandson away for the three-week school holiday, it is entirely possible the car will be rolling, steerable, and stoppable by the end of the year.

Woo hoo.

But my feet hurt from the long hours on concrete....

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Been there done that... time to shut off the lights for a few days and catch your breathe... maybe scribble some notes to yourself on the plan of attack when you come back. The holidays are stressful enough. When I get stressed out I always make regrettable errors.

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Been there done that... time to shut off the lights for a few days and catch your breathe... maybe scribble some notes to yourself on the plan of attack when you come back. The holidays are stressful enough. When I get stressed out I always make regrettable errors.
Too true, too true.

The grandson has one more week of school, then he’s off to visit his mom and brother in Denver. I’ll be left in blessed silence for three weeks. It will be restorative.

My zen-time will be in the shop. Clearly nearing important benchmarks is motivating.

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
Found a trunk lock, but need the little sliders and springs.

Ever broken off a 4mm tap while chasing the threads for the Tenax studs on the rear deck? I have. What gleeful words did you utter?

Got the high-current relay panel nearly done. All I need is the new hi-lo stomp switch from CA. No wiring harness wires were molested, except the two originally terminated with eyelets for the stomp switch, converted to spades for connection to two 30 amp Bosch relays.

Pondering the merits of dating a brilliant, saucy, 20 year younger Aussie lass, yeah, I know. But one must at least consider it.

Show of hands?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Pondering the merits of dating a brilliant, saucy, 20 year younger Aussie lass, yeah, I know. But one must at least consider it.

Show of hands?
A photo would be most helpful but in general I'd say "YES". I love their accent or as the case may be lack of our accent. Either way, she is in her 40's, so she is not a kid. Dating yes, marriage haha! I admire your bravery ole chap.:wink2:

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #493
A photo would be most helpful but in general I'd say "YES". I love their accent or as the case may be lack of our accent. Either way, she is in her 40's, so she is not a kid. Dating yes, marriage haha! I admire your bravery ole chap.:wink2:

Mark
“Bravery?” Hmmm. Probably wrong word.

The funny thing is, I’ve reached the age where I not only know better, I can probably predict the series of events that will inevitably lead to the head-on into a wall. I think I need to develop my version of “Peter Bacque’s 27 hour rule”, although it would require me to embrace a greater degree of cynicism than I’d rather admit to.

Having nursed an affection for Alfas for almost fifty years, and 2000s specifically, I guess my pain tolerance has risen to an unhealthy level.

Today will include hours in the shop, plus a lesson with a world-champion tango dancer.

Bet that sentence hasn’t appeared in the BB before.

·
Registered
11,799 Posts

Show of hands?
My lovely wife is an Aussie :punk: (this is my "show of hands")

Have fun ...
Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
My most recent ex-wife is an Aussie. I've also got a Kiwi in my history.

The problem even dating another Aussie, with a very similar tone, pitch, and accent, would be addressing her as "Helen" at an inappropriate moment. The new job applicant is named "Julia".

·
Registered
11,799 Posts
The problem even dating another Aussie, with a very similar tone, pitch, and accent, would be addressing her as "Helen" at an inappropriate moment. The new job applicant is named "Julia".
Yes that would be dangerous ... :surprise:

Pete

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
The humor of OZ folk and Texican folk is in almost perfect alignment. They get our jokes and we get their jokes so go for it, Don.

·
Push hard and live
9,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #499
The humor of OZ folk and Texican folk is in almost perfect alignment. They get our jokes and we get their jokes so go for it, Don.
Alas, that wasn’t enough for the last Ozian experiment. We shall see...

I’m pleased with the relay mod for headlights. No visible changes. Relay panel mounted in cavity in left kick panel.

Where have you guys bought Tenax studs? I’ve got tons of the female pull-ups, but need studs with 4 mm threads. I’ve got three studs with 5 mm threads, which don’t fit. Oddly, some of my pull-ups grip the studs firmly while others don’t.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
“Bravery?” Hmmm. Probably wrong word.

I think I need to develop my version of “Peter Bacque’s 27 hour rule”, although it would require me to embrace a greater degree of cynicism than I’d rather admit to.
LOL, I had a similar experience a couple years ago. Despite the long standing attraction, I guess it was not worth the time and energy expenditure required.

This is your second reference to 'the 27 hour rule' -what is it?

Mark

481 - 500 of 1063 Posts