Alfa Romeo Forums banner

321 - 340 of 1086 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #322 (Edited)
Thunder and lightning, very very frightening me.

Step by step, inch by inch....

I wrapped up both front suspension units today, except for loading them with grease. Both ready to bolt onto the body, where I'm certain the holes will line up perfectly on the first try. (sound of distant lightning).

My grandson and I did my next to last try on the POC fiberglass top rear window. Vast improvement. The trick is to heat it to a really soft and floppy state, then rapidly slide it onto the nearby mold, where it drapes perfectly in place. Well, it would have, except I thought I'd see if a little manual encouragement would get the compound curve to settle into place. This left a couple of curvy spots along the edges, but no compound curve. I have since used a heat gun to remove most of the curvy bits, but I've got one more rectangle of plexi for a really, truly, no more, never again, last try. Actually, this one may be just fine once I do the final trimming around the edges.

Chromer says 3 - 4 weeks. Translation, 2 - 3 months.

I sent a contact letter to Keys4Classics. I wonder if they are still operating and I'll get an answer?

I've got a conversation started with one of our favorite vendors about making plenum to air cleaner corrugated rubber hoses. Can I get an "amen"?!

I've targeted June to be more or less finished. Maybe some tuning left, but enough finished to book a spot at Concorso. That reminds me. I need to book a room NOW.

Went to see Queen with Adam Lambert in Vegas over the weekend. I was never drawn to glam, drama rock, so just tuned out Queen when they were around. I assumed they were like the Monkees, having real musicians do the playing and maybe singing. I later learned the error of my assumptions.

Astonishing performance. Brian, despite walking around like an old man, blew the ceiling off the joint. Roger Taylor is a tour de force. Adam does a good job standing in for Freddie, without insulting either his memory or the audience.

They are playing in Vegas through 9/22. Go. Buy a ticket, and go.

Attachments

Reactions: JJr

·
Registered
344 Posts
Keep the parts rocking Don!

Speaking of rock, Queen and the Monkeys would never be mentioned in the same sentence, glad to hear they straightened you out.

You can change the title of your thread to a great Queen song, Don't Stop Me Now, also a great song to fly too! :)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You guys are making great progress on the Roadster.

I'll check the parts book regarding, mounting a spare Borrani and let you know if I find anything. On my car, I removed the metal bracket from the piece of plywood (4 screws, I think) and used the stock threaded rod and clamping bar right through the open wire wheel hub. I suspect that if I were to 'roll the car' the plywood may get damaged in the trunk but then I wouldn't really care about that. Most of the time it is covered with the beautiful rubber mat.

I sent a contact letter to Keys4Classics. I wonder if they are still operating and I'll get an answer? I bought psuedo Montreal keys from Keys4Classics about 4 years ago but was able to find correct Merelli keys from either C/A or OKP. You'll need to know the tiny letter stamped into the original key to get the right ones. Mine had a tiny letter "c" -if your key has a 'c' let me know and I'll start the search for a possible spare blank 'c' key or I may have two others from Re-Originals that were $30 and did not fit my car.

key 2L.jpg

I've got a conversation started with one of our favorite vendors about making plenum to air cleaner corrugated rubber hoses. Can I get an "amen"?! A, okay...
The plenum hoses shown in this thread do work well with a 5 minute modification to remove the elbow: https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/1900-2000-2600-1950-1968/577089-new-102-air-filter-hoses.html I am checking with Marc to see if he still has some of the intake rubber hoses.

IMG_2162.JPG

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Thanks for all. Let me know about hoses.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Hi All,

I have an original rubber hose.

I can ask my "rubber" supplier if he can make 1:1 copy from the original

is there interest ?

the more we can make the better will be the price :)

rgds Franco

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Franco,

I get four or five personal queries every year, and I’m not a commercial vendor.

I’d take two, if price is reasonable.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Franko: This looks like one of those "unobtanium" items that really needs to available. Why don't you contact the Alfa parts suppliers---especially ReOriginals? It looks as though every 102 owner needs these hoses. I'm pretty sure they all would like to have these hoses available for their customers.

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Classic Alfa says they’re looking into it. That sometimes works, sometimes not.

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Colors

We've finalized the exterior color, and of course, the leather interior has already been received.

It's not subtle. It's not intended to be subtle.

The "giallo paglierino doesn't really leap off the page via IPhone pictures and pixel-reduction. We closely matched the patches we found under protecting chrome parts, and I'm happy with the result.

Freshly mowed hay.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
No turning back now

I’ll admit, I’ve had second thoughts.

Inside, under fluorescent lights, the color makes me gag slightly. Outside, under the bright sun, it’s much “whiter”, with just a whisper of green. There, in the light of day, it’s magnificent.

So many 102s have been repainted in colors that are sophisticated and balanced to modern tastes (or worse, red), I’ve felt bound to keep this one as it was born. Particularly as it was a special-order car, with those unique color choices that unsubtly say “we’re Italian, and we create style you were too timid to think of”.

So, the rocket has launched, Earth to Major Tom.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
I love it too Don!

Commencing count down, engines on.

Once the bright work and interior is installed it will be wonderful.

I look forward to seeing it up close.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
a precious color for an elegant car :smile2:

·
Registered
242 Posts
It looks great Don and familiar. Here is mine painted last spring. The original Giallo Paglierino seemed really dull and any known original examples I found on the car were painted too thin, showing the light gray primer through it. So it had to be tweaked. I know what you mean by it looking weird under the florescent lights. When outside it has a nice soft glow and will look great with the chrome and stainless steel trim. Again - NICE.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
So many 102s have been repainted in colors that are sophisticated and balanced to modern tastes (or worse, red), I’ve felt bound to keep this one as it was born. Particularly as it was a special-order car, with those unique color choices that unsubtly say “we’re Italian, and we create style you were too timid to think of”.
Exactly, Don. Good job!

·
Push hard and live
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
She comes home tomorrow.

Goodby world. I’ll be back in awhile.

321 - 340 of 1086 Posts