Alfa Romeo Forums banner

301 - 320 of 1086 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
There are darn few folks who understand the reference to "a boy and his dog." One of my all time cult classics. Mid-70s.

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
There are darn few folks who understand the reference to "a boy and his dog." One of my all time cult classics. Mid-70s.
Obtuse references are my mark in trade. Harlan Ellison and Ambrose Bierce are, in my opinion, the best American authors of all time.

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #304

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I actually prefer the bushing approach, as it eliminates a source of rattling and wear.
Hello Don,

I don't really understand how this method eliminates source of futur problem.

If shock mounts on the 102 aren't all that robust, they will become slightly oval in both cases, no ?

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #306 (Edited)
The improvement is from a couple of areas.

First, the bushing to bolt, and bushing to tab hole fit is tighter and more precise. The original bolt to tab fit is a little loose. If movement is possible, it will speed up the wear. Secondly, my experience has been that if wear is detected, replacing the bushing will restore the tolerances. Plus, the oillite bearing is quite wear resistant.

This is not really a big deal. I would have been happy to use the original big-bolt system. On my other car, 00072, the tab hole was worn and needed repair. 1488 is a low mileage car, and so showed little wear. This was simply a known solution to use the small bolt shocks, but one which I have faith is an enduring solution.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Ok thank you for your answer.

A tip also to properly assemble this link:
Leave both ears slightly loose.
Fix the shock absorber and tighten the fixing screw. Then tighten the 2 ears.

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Ok thank you for your answer.

A tip also to properly assemble this link:
Leave both ears slightly loose.
Fix the shock absorber and tighten the fixing screw. Then tighten the 2 ears.
Yeah. I'm not sure I included the picture, but when I assemble them on the suspension, I run the bolt through the holes (with bushings), then use an adjustable wrench to carefully position the tabs in the middle of their wobble-range. So far, it works when I go to put in the shock, but your way is probably the simplest.

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
Front suspension grease seals

Each of the front suspension assemblies have eight grease seals to more or lease keep the grease in and the dirt out. They look pretty nasty after 58 years.

I once bought a new set from, I think, Heinbrand, but they didn’t fit the early-version pieces on 00072 (December 58 manufacture). However, they do fit this 1960 car. Also however, the rubber in these seals is very stiff, and adds a great deal of stiction to the assembly movement. Quite probably unnoticeable when in operation on the road, but I’d like better.

So, I found both poly and silicone square section o-rings that fit the original seal cups. Sadly, these o-rings aren’t quite tall enough to stand proud of the adjustment shims. So, I ordered some round shims with a suitable ID, chucked them up in a lathe, and turned down the OD to fit into the seal cups. A feeler gauge told me I needed about .035” to make contact.

Figuring I need some pressure, I bought .047” shims, which should give me .012” of squish. I also bought some .010” shims if the .047” doesn’t work.

Now to order some Loctite rubber bonding stuff.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Smoke and desert

Just for giggles, I took this out the window of the Mooney yesterday on the way back from a bridge tournament in Boise.

Reminder to self... there’s no point in spending gobs of money to compete against the pros when one’s lungs are still shredded from pneumonia, and breakfast starts with a powerful antihistamine.

Anyway... the smoke from the Northern California fires was a great deal less yesterday. This picture was about half the smoke density of earlier this week.

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
PS.... for you gearheads out there....

200 HP
175 MPH
12 hour range
8.5 gallons per hour
Bose noise canceling headsets, stereo intercom, music input via Bluetooth
Next year, I’ll have had him for 40 years.

Beat that with an Alfa.....

PPS. Women like boats, not airplanes.

Reactions: Aggie57

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Must be the saddle leather

I’ve found that women DO like my Touring Roadster. Men just smile and nod. The ladies get all animated and squirmy, and ask for a ride. I offer to take them for a drive, instead.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Just for giggles, I took this out the window of the Mooney yesterday on the way back from a bridge tournament in Boise.

Reminder to self... there’s no point in spending gobs of money to compete against the pros when one’s lungs are still shredded from pneumonia, and breakfast starts with a powerful antihistamine.

Anyway... the smoke from the Northern California fires was a great deal less yesterday. This picture was about half the smoke density of earlier this week.
True that the smoke has dissipated over the last few days. We live east of the Mendocino Complex fire and north of the Yosemite fire. This morning was the first time that I have seen a clear sky when I got out of bed since all this started. Not trying to change the subject just wanted to agree with the above comment.

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #316 (Edited)
Digressions in the threads I start are not discouraged. They will, however, be graded.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
I used to give Aerobatic rides in the yellow biplane. Approximately 100% of the guys I took up headed for the bushes when I landed, and launched their lunch. No woman ever got sick, and their rides were always, by their request, longer and wilder.

Moral of the story?

I think guys are fortunate that women have strong stomachs.

But, back to Alfas...

I finished the assembly of the left side front suspension, using new Buna square o rings and a .047” shim. I watched each one take a slight “squish” upon tightening the bolts and nuts, and the finished piece moves smoothly and freely.

Now I gotta go back and replace the Heinbrand seals on the right assembly with this new version.

·
Administrator
12,919 Posts
I think guys are fortunate that women have strong stomachs.
ROFLMAO, but then maybe I've taken your comment too far ... >:) :D

BTW: I would be vomiting before I got on/in your plane ...
Pete

·
Push hard and live
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Two days at the body shop

I drove down to Kelly’s on Tuesday and Thursday to help get the door gaps right, and a few other things.

Among other things, the bottom curve of Franco’s spare tire repair piece was a bit off, so we had to cut a slit and add some material. Not a big problem, but it was lifting the spare tire in a way that made it wobble, and stick up too high at the rear. It also raised the question of just what the spare tire cover should look like when using Boranni wires. The splined hub sticks up higher than the tire, and will prevent using the original cover and securing winged hold down bolt. I can figure out something, but does anyone have a pic of the factory’s solution?

We found some old repair work on the nose that will need refinement in order for the air inlet trim to sit correctly. I predict Kelly will have that done quickly.

The driver’s door opening required some building up and filing down to get the gap dialed in. We got pretty good at unhanging and rehanging the door.

By Thursday he’d already installed the repair patch to clean up a PO’s radio installation butchery. Only thing remaining will be to drill and cut the original-configuration holes, which will, in turn, be covered by the radio delete plate.

We met at the paint store where Kelly hand-mixed a pale-yellow-with-hint-of-green paint. This got sprayed onto a test panel, and I’ve been carrying it around in sunny and shaded areas to see what I think. Mostly, I like it. Might not be the color I would have ordered on my new car, but gotta admit, it screams Italian, and IT ISN’T RED!!!

Attachments

301 - 320 of 1086 Posts