Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about selling my 164L since I've been advised by my financial adviser(wife) to cut my costs and run only 1 Alfa while in school. I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that she was going to call me out on it. Financial choices had to be made since I'm in school full time. I'm going to take the minimalist approach and cut my luxuries for the next year. The 164 is one of those luxuries, unfortunately. It's not listed yet so if anyone is interested, let me know. I've put a lot of time and money into. But it's always been a labor of love, so I'm reasonable. Thanks. I'm not leaving... I'm just selling Olive Oil in order to cut costs while in school. I'm even hoping to buy her back at some point after I graduate. I could sell the Spider, but I'm here by myself, and it's the minimalist part of me that doesn't agree with that logic. (Shaking head)

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
from my experiences, responsible and dumb go hand in hand at times. One feeds from/off of the other and in the end we all die. I still like that color you stumbled onto!! ciao chris

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Me, I'd dump the roadster instead, but that's just me, needing something a little more practical. Plus, I think you might get more money for it, for school.

·
Premium Member
26,993 Posts
I agree as I sold my 81 Spider in 2003 for 3 times what I could have sold a 164 for. A spider is only a spider BUT, a 164 is far more than the sum of its parts!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Re selling your olive oil

Thinking about selling my 164L since I've been advised by my financial adviser(wife) to cut my costs and run only 1 Alfa while in school. I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that she was going to call me out on it. Financial choices had to be made since I'm in school full time. I'm going to take the minimalist approach and cut my luxuries for the next year. The 164 is one of those luxuries, unfortunately. It's not listed yet so if anyone is interested, let me know. I've put a lot of time and money into. But it's always been a labor of love, so I'm reasonable. Thanks. I'm not leaving... I'm just selling Olive Oil in order to cut costs while in school. I'm even hoping to buy her back at some point after I graduate. I could sell the Spider, but I'm here by myself, and it's the minimalist part of me that doesn't agree with that logic. (Shaking head)
My kids and I were watching a CBC live comedy show last evening. One of the comics was an American (I think it was foreign comic night). Hilarious. One of his comments was that after 32 years of marriage, he was at the age that allowed him to be the pr*** he really was. No apologies as he was just at the age where he didn't care about what other people thought.
One day, he was at a flea market with his wife on a Sunday afternoon and he was angry... because he found himself at a flea market with his wife on a Sunday. She bent down to tie her shoelace and he gave her a little push. She toppled right over. He laughed for 20 minutes. She was not happy.
He then advised a young man in the audience to push his girlfriend into a bush. The comic said that she (the girlfriend) would be angry for 2 days but the guy would laugh about it for the next 9 years.

Point? Think about the long-term. If you really feel that it would be better to keep the old girl, then buckle down and trim the other fat from your expenses, otherwise, keep your wife instead.

P.S. Just kidding, eh!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've been wanting a 90 Spider for a bit now. Really like the Motronic over the Jetronic. So if you change your mind on the Grad.... ;)

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I could never sell my Spider, too many memories attached, but I've been thinking I should probably sell one of my 164's. The problem is, which one? After a year and a half you'd think I would have developed a favorism for one or the other but I like both of them equally.

Face it, I'm stuck.

Now for you Brew, I can understand your situation and the logic but there is another factor you need to consider and that is the deep and prolonged sense of utter regret you are going to have to bear after letting Olive go. You may not be able to put a price on that.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,491 Posts
Man, if there's any chance you'd want to buy it back some day, just keep it. Store it somewhere dry if you need to save the running costs.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
"I'd keep the 164 and buy the wife flowers"

And agree to dancing lessons, lots of them.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
What Gubi said....if possible.

My ford's been hanging with my folks for over a year now. Can't seem to pull the trigger on selling that one.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Usually, once gone, never back.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just list it on ebay or CL for $18,000. At least you'll be trying to sell it :whistling:
Genius! Hmmmmm... Here's the thing guys... It's a proven fact: Whenever I sell a car I lusted for, prices go up and I get priced out. I usually get the shaft since my cash out price is low compared to the bubble that begins to rise. I can't sell the spider since its a 1990 and I've had 3 ratty spiders with this one being the 4 and the best example I've ever owned. The only reason I stretched myself thin is because its a unicorn I've been chasing for some time. Now I have 2 Unicorns, and the 164 seems like the logical expense to cut out for now. Well Insurance is not going to be on after May, so gas and any money flow to it has to stop. Ugghhh.... I'm afraid to park it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts