Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I´ve just rebuilt a V6 24V engine and I´m having problems with the OP. I´ve already asked about it in this forum, but I still want to know about the maximum OP.
I would like to ask those who ever have rebuilt a V6 engine, what is the maximum OP (5500-6000 rpm) it can get when hot? After the engine has broken in, of course.
I need to know this for me to have a parameter.
Thanks a lot,
Paulo

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
tifosi.. ' grasshopper' the releaf valve only allows 'x' amount of pressure then the spring/ piston allows the reat to the oil pan

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,528 Posts
I was always told 10 PSI per 1K was the rule of thumb. Overpressure valve should open at ~85 or so, so it'll never go over that.

Paulo: if you look in the service manual you'll likely find the specs for oil pressure. My Milano manual has specs for idle and 5500 RPMs in the specs pages of the engine section (Group 01).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was always told 10 PSI per 1K was the rule of thumb. Overpressure valve should open at ~85 or so, so it'll never go over that.

Paulo: if you look in the service manual you'll likely find the specs for oil pressure. My Milano manual has specs for idle and 5500 RPMs in the specs pages of the engine section (Group 01).
Hello, Tom
I´ve already read the manual and it really says 85 psi at 5500 rpm as top of normal OP when hot. That´s why I was expecting 85 when hot.
Tks,
Paulo

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just look at my car.. at 2000 rpm , hot she rides at 45 spi...mechanical and electric gadge.
Hello, Bianchi
Is it the max OP you can get? How old is your engine? Mine reaches 52 psi at 2500 rpm (mechanical gauge) and with the increasing of the rpm the OP doesn´t rise.
I don´t get it... That´s strange. In my opinion there must be a OP leak somewhere, that´s why I needed some references of max OP in a new engine.
Tks,
Paulo

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,528 Posts
Hello, Tom
I´ve already read the manual and it really says 85 psi at 5500 rpm as top of normal OP when hot. That´s why I was expecting 85 when hot.
Tks,
Paulo
Well, that's the max because that's where the overpressure valve will open. But it should list a range. I don't think anyone sees 85 PSI at 5500 rpm hot...that seems excessive.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
paul,my motor , well came with the car.. bit i do belive it has been thru..when i took off the head a few years ago, i found 6 really cool machined parts that holds the oil 'o' rings in..so as for age of the motor..i do not know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts