Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new clutch master in hand from Alfissimo. I want to replace my remote reservoir hose (which is not available from Alfa) on the brake and the clutch masters. I replaced the brake master not too long ago and the hoses are leaking slowly. What are you folks using instead of Alfa part #60777345 which is the supply hose for both the brake master and the clutch master? Can I use fuel hose of SAE 30R9 spec? Suggestions on I.D. and local or online sources?
Charles

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hose nipple on the clutch master looks like 5/16" (or 8mm) hose is needed. Any ideas on the length of hose I need to buy to replace both?
Charles

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes, I have replaced those supply hoses with fuel hose. I did this a while back on a couple cars and they appear to be working fine. I believe I used the high pressure FI fuel hose that I have around but regular fuel rated hose should work fine. 5/16" (7.9mm) should be a good size to use. The smaller 7.2-7.5mm fuel hose might be too difficult to connect to the plastic/nylon nipples especially when working at tight spaces (like under the dash). I suggest buy some extra length like a few feet of hose. It is easier to work with longer length hose when fishing it through the firewall! Tape the end that you're pushing through to keep junks out.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Bob. I wondered how well FI hose would work over time.
I did FINALLY track down a source for the no pressure braided reservoir hose! Porsche Clutch Hose - Braided Cloth
Used on Porsche 911 clutch master and 944/968, $3.00 per foot. Image is from Paragon, they say it is cloth cover silicon hose. Doesn't say what size I.D.? I would guess it's 8mm but don't know but I think they are selling a very good hose here.
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Gasoline resistance hose are in general oil resistance also. So I think fuel hose are OK for this application. Or, you can see whether you can get some Gates LOL Plus hose. I bought some (in bigger ID) from a local hydraulic shop to replace some power steering hoses. They are made of nitrile according to spec. If you follow the chemical resistance table link and look up brake fluid, you can see that nitrile (NBR) hose is "Preferred - constant contact" for petroleum based brake fluid (and not for synthetic brake fluid).

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob! That's what I have been looking for, some real info on what works and what doesn't. Is SAE 30R9 NBR or NBR lined? The tech sheets don't say and the FI hoses I have here are not marked NBR. Anyway, I placed my order at Pelican Parts. I kind of like the original braided hose, and the blue braiding seems to designate it as brake hose, from what I have found, so it will be made of the correct rubber for the application and made by Contitech.
Charles

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just found a section of the fuel injection hose IAP sells in 7.5mm and it is marked NBR/CR and is a nice German made supple hose that I think would work well for the reservoir hose being lined in NBR. From what I read, the cloth braid on the other hoses I found is for heat protection. The IAP hose lacks the braid of the original hose in this remote reservoir application. Also, the 7.5mm is a little small in I.D. 8mm or 5/16" seems more the size that is needed here.
Charles

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hose showed up today from Pelican Parts. Part number 21-52-1-163-714. Looks exactly like the original Alfa hose. Black braided cover, only marked BMW and what looks like EPDM-CO and a perfect fit for the nipple on the brake MC. Just wish the cold hadn't returned for this weekend. DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE YOU CLOCKS THIS WEEKEND. ;) We'll get some extra wrenching time and bicycling time in, starting next week!
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Looks like you got enough for a couple future jobs. I will keep you in mind if I need some OK?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, I didn't know how much I would need, so I got "enough". :D
Charles

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Charles,

As a matter of interest are your clutch hoses clamped to the MC and the reservoir, or just depend on a tight fit?

Mine only have clamps on the brake pipes going out of the reservoir.

How did you loosen and re-tighten the left hand nut which holds the MC to the support bracket?

I had to pull out the fuse box and work a 13 wrench to the back of all the wiring where there is room for less than a quarter of a turn.

Ta,

Neville.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine only had clamps on the brake lines as well, but now they all do. I just buttoned up the clutch M/C job. :eek: Don't want to do that again any time soon. For the record, the 2 short lines to the brake M/C from the reservoir are 6 inches long and the clutch M/C line to the reservoir is 17 inches long. The upper clutch M/C nut that is so hard to get to, turned out to be a cinch when I pulled out my Snap-On S6173 13mm distributor wrench. Fit in there perfect, just when I was beginning to get cranky! :mad: Done now and time for a test drive! :D
Charles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
I got to do this Clutch supply hose on Rosso

Old Clutch supply hose now leaking at reservoir after I changed brake master.

Chazzy thanks for info on hose and length needed. I just ordered a meter of it this morning, too.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Changed my clutch master supply hose today

Got new rubber hose with braided covering for BMW from Pelican Parts same as Chazzy last week and finally had some time today to change it.

I used an 8mm exhaust manifold stud threaded on both ends to hook old and new hoses together in engine bay and then pulled old and new hose into ****pit under steering column.

Hardest part of the job was getting old hose off nipple on clutch master.

I bleed clutch and all four wheels as I had already replaced brake master earlier but then cracked clutch hose so needed to finish up bleeding whole system.

Couple pictures of of hoses hooked together with stud and bleeding of clutch and rear brakes. I jacked each side of body and then jacked up rear trailing arm to close off valve in rear crossmember before bleeding rear brakes.

Note: My recycled Salsa jar as my bleed hose fluid catch jar.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Bump up for 2017, having been there done that so long ago.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts