Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Master cylinder reassembly help please

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Sgtpepper 
#1 ·
Rebuilding a m/c for a standing pedal 1967 Super. It has a single booster and single circuit brakes. When disassembling, my rag slipped and compressed air blew parts a few feet to the back of my workbench. Looking for the correct order of and orientation of the parts. Could not find a graphic when searching the bb. Found a graphic from a workshop guide, but it did not show the tapered sprimg. Attached is a pic of what I think is correct, but not sure. Especially the orientation of the spring and the cup shaped rubber seal. Can anyone confirm what is correct? Thanks
Text Line art Font Auto part

See less See more
#4 ·
OK, nevermind. Tried to copy it on too small of a screen.....looking at it now on larger monitor, yep, wrong one. Sorry. I have my CarDisc PDFs here on this laptop but I can't find the correct ATE master cylinder.

#7 ·
In your pic, the left side rubber seal butts up to the brass washer, which itself butts up to the piston.

in other words, move the seal from one end of the spring to the other. Might be the conical spring should be rotated also.

#10 · (Edited)
Remember to orient both seals to push fluid toward the back of the cylinder.

#13 ·
That hose is pressurised so really that K&N filter is inside out and provides too much of an obstruction for the fumes .Assuming you don`t want to vent directly into the atmosphere as the original engine in your car did, I would just run the 2 litre air filter with the connection for the crankcase fumes.

#14 ·
Thanks for the input Richard. Have seen similar installations, but will rethink it. Dont have access to a 2 liter air filter assembly. No such thing as a carbed 2.0 in the U. S. Would have to get a euro filter. Attached is a pic of my carbs and filter setup.
Auto part Vehicle Scale model

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.