Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for the heat shield that goes between the header and the master cylinder, also protects some wires.

This cover used to be made with Asbestos. I therefore would like to make a new one with some other heat resistant material glued or sandwiched.

Does anyone have a pattern, or a part available for me to copy, or purchase?

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
There was a seller of replicas on e-bay that used fiberglass in place of the asbestos. As I remember they were quite expensive.

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
WoW! both Jon & Bob reading my stuff! If Bob has one, talk to him. World Upholstery is the advertiser I couldn't remember, and we all know now Tony at AlfaStop is in mid moving, and not talking to anyone at the moment.
Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Typical comment from a satisfied customer! Bob's the other... gotta watch him too ....

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Whew! Got away there Bob!

·
Administrator
3,731 Posts
I recently made a heatshield for Dad's '57 Spider Abnormale with Veloce branches, I patterned it out of sheet aluminium off an original Veloce shield & used a self-adhesive modern heat resistant material on the inside, which was then crimped under the fold which goes all around the outside of the shield.

Fitting it was dead easy as I pulled the LF wheel off, checked that the bends in the shield approximated the original, then tugged & tucked it between the MC & the exhaust where it fitted quite easily to the original bracket on the pedal box. I do recall that I had to have two goes at tweaking the bends with it off the car before it fitted properly.

If there's a need, I can make more of them ???

Ciao
Greig

Up to my ears in SVZ style seats right now............

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
Bob is "ever vigilant"!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Heat shield

Hi guys,

So, not to put too fine a point on it. As long as you are making the heat shields new I am curious about the attachment brackets you are seeing. I have noticed a few things. Not all Giulietta's had heat shields. The parts book shows two kinds of brackets for the heat shield. I have now see 3 styles. Curious what you guys are seeing. The most common is the curved with tabs that bolt into holes on the pedal box housing. The less common I will include pictures of, the second is in the parts book. (I took these pics when I was getting shots for Gordon of my hardtop). I can give you years and models although it gets a little confusing - Sprint vs. Spider, N vs. V, berlina, and so on... Good luck. Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I am a certified doctor of heat exchange...... The asbestos liner is not really a necessary component of the heat shield.. Aluminum sheet works fine. In fact, the heat shield is totally un-necesssary, unless you are driving to the limits at full throttle and full braking all within 150 yds of each other in a climate like Palm Springs in July at 2 PM (14:00) (120F) over a course that is very repetitive over about 5 minutes.. It was a goofy after-thought by a junior level of engineers at Alfa that gave us the heater and the windshield wipers. They would have better spent their time creating a design to keep the carbs from boiling under the same conditions. Uncle

·
Registered
312 Posts
heat shield

The wipers on the Giulietta were a standard item on Italian cars of the time. But the heater! Low level "engineer" - at best. I think of Giulietta heaters as an exercise in cosmetics.

So what you are saying is the only place the heat shield is necessary, is the car show...

D

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
The wipers on the Giulietta were a standard item on Italian cars of the time. But the heater! Low level "engineer" - at best. I think of Giulietta heaters as an exercise in cosmetics.

So what you are saying is the only place the heat shield is necessary, is the car show...

D
in a word ...prettymuchso ....and ontheracetrack

·
Registered
229 Posts
I recently made a heatshield for Dad's '57 Spider Abnormale with Veloce branches, I patterned it out of sheet aluminium off an original Veloce shield & used a self-adhesive modern heat resistant material on the inside, which was then crimped under the fold which goes all around the outside of the shield.

Fitting it was dead easy as I pulled the LF wheel off, checked that the bends in the shield approximated the original, then tugged & tucked it between the MC & the exhaust where it fitted quite easily to the original bracket on the pedal box. I do recall that I had to have two goes at tweaking the bends with it off the car before it fitted properly.

If there's a need, I can make more of them ???

Ciao
Greig

Up to my ears in SVZ style seats right now............

Bringing back this old topic. I wasn't aware the part was being offered so I made it already for my 1959 Sprint, copying it from a friend's 1958 Spider (Henry, also a member of the forum). I am hoping it is the same... but it does fit ok.

I made it just as described by Greig, bent aluminum, with a heat resistant material (some sort of fiberglass with similar looks to the original) glued in place and then the full ends bent and crimped over it.

Question here is, for authenticity purposes, should the alumium be painted black or left unpainted? If unpainted it will be too noticeable when the tire is removed, of course... but I better ask trying to do the appropiate thing... My friend's part shows paint, but not sure if that is the way they left the factory.

Pics attached of original versus copy... pic doesn't help, because of angles... I did not take care to put the parts exactly the same resting spot and angle, but they are pretty much identical.

So... natural aluminum or should it be painted black on the aluminum side?

Thanks!
Victor

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,444 Posts
I think it depends on the time frame. The heat shield on my 65 Spider Veloce was unpainted from new.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts