Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the missus was driving our "new" white 164 12v, when the engine dropped a large amount of oil in the middle of the road as she was waiting to make a turn. This was a few weeks ago, and the mark on the road is still there, about one square meter. She made the turn into a small lane, and went another20 metres, and then the car stopped (I assume that the ECU cut out due to low oil pressure?). On the laneway she left a trail of oil and in the place where the car stopped there was a large puddle of about another litre of oil. I cleaned up the mess as best as I could with kitty litter, and the car was towed back home. I had a look underneath, and there are no obvious causes, no smashed sump etc.
My theory is that the head gasket must have blown outwards. I know that usually there is the ingress of oil into the water when the head gasket blows, but not in this case. The timing belt is dry, so its not the cam seals.
What is the risk of starting the car again and looking for the leak? Otherwise I have to tear down the whole engine and replace all the seals and gaskets.
Any theories?
-VARIS

·
Premium Member
27,282 Posts
Ecu will not stop engine due to low oil.

How much oil did it take to bring oil level back up to full mark?

Did oil filter seal blow out? Has to be a leak somewhere!

If you have oil in it you should be able to try the starter and see if engine will turn over and pump out oil if something wrong with oil filter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If the filter has recently been changed, perhaps the old filter O-ring was left in place, and blew out when up to pressure?? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Saw this happen to a Milano. Gal drove in to a parking lot where we had just driven into, and we noticed that there was oil pouring onto the pavement from her Milano. She said her husband had just changed the oil and filter. Turns out the old filter gasket had stayed with the engine, and then blew out when she started driving the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the advice. You guys just saved me tons of money.
I drained the old oil and replaced the oil filter. Started it up slowly and let idle until hot. No leaks! Took it for a spin around the block and checked underneath, still no leaks. Then I took it for a real Italian tune up.
I can't believe I spent the last 2 months worrying how to get this car fixed with it sitting idle on the driveway.
Thanks again.
-VARIS

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
I do think most people who do their own oil and filter changing now have gotten out of the habit of checking for leaking as we did in the old days with separate filter elements and ring gaskets in a can. When changing those (thinking specifically of my BMC cars for example), because it was sometimes a pain to get the assembly together correctly with the rubber gasket in place, one always ran the engine for a while to check for the inevitable leaking from a slipped gasket up inside the can holder. Sure glad they developed the spin on filter.

I always liked a friend's 62 Ferrari GTE 2+2 with the V-12 engine, with the two spin on filters sticking up right on top, easy as all get out to change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts