Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would think so, but have never tried this. When Bosch made them, I doubt there was different calibration curves for Porsche vs Alfa.
I would think Bosch would have given them different part numbers if the calibration was different - otherwise chaos could result. It would be up to the individual car/brand computers to use the data correctly for their own engines. Production wise, nothing else would make logical sense.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I heard back from my mechanic today about my check engine light issues and the car running lean at idle. I found a used Bosch part for a Porsche that looked to be in great shape and unmolested. He swapped it out but it did not prove to be the issue. He checked and replaced as needed several sensors and checked the fuel injectors as well. Two of the coil packs were intermittent and he replaced those as well. The new air flow meter did not help and he went back to my old one. The check engine light still comes on at idle but it goes away when you start to drive away. I will drive it for a few weeks and see how it performs. I will report more when I see his notes on the invoice so I can see what he replaced. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,415 Posts
With my 94LS, I had the engine light come on at idle sometimes but always go out when the car is accelerated away. Turns out there was a small air leak in the fuel pipeline system, mainly, the little air hose (item 5, Fuel Tank Pipeline, https://alfa-romeo.7zap.com/en/164/r4/16825310-099/102/1+10201s00+5-0/ going to the spherical air chamber (item 1), located in the left fender area. Small leak, couldn't hear it but the unlit propane torch waved around found it.

Dreaded PO had disconnected that hose because the small valve (item 3) it also attaches to was clogged/stuck one way. Once I cleaned that valve and reconnected the hose, the symptoms such as the engine light being on, disappeared.

You just might check that stuff out, being very easy.

·
Premium Member
26,699 Posts
I know I am resurrecting a very old post, but my MAF needs replacement. My mechanic had to set it too lean to get it to work. I get a gas smell when it is idling and the check engine light comes on. The light goes away when I start driving. Has anyone had any luck with replacement MAF's? He has told me that he has done just about all he can with the current one.

Let me know and thanks.

Jeff
Dallas

1994 LS
So what Code are you getting for this check engine light? Turn on key, stomp accel pedal 5 times and count CEL flashes such as 1223 or possibly 1224 for O2 sensor for example.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Here is the update. I picked up the car on Tuesday and the check engine light was not coming on, but my mechanic said it might come on periodically if idling for an extended period of time. He put the replacement Porsche sourced Bosch air flow meter on and it actually performed worse than what the existing one did. So that did not solve the problem. He replaced a temperature sensor at the radiator and also two coil packs that were not firing as strong as they should be. He did quite a bit of work trying to figure out what the problem was and he said he has probably gone as far as he can without a new Alfa air flow meter. So, while the Porsche part looked to be in good shape, it probably had been tampered with. The car runs strong and quite. My next task is to get the ATX fluid changed as it is holding on to first year more than it should when it is cold. And cold being not very cold. This is Texas in the spring.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and support.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
no, 24V 164 requires a non OBD tester. Do a search here for Marelli tester and you will find a treasure trove of info including some great work by Pinino on making a PC communicate with the Motronic brain

·
Premium Member
26,699 Posts
You can pull codes by turning on key and stomping accel pedal 5 times and then count flashes in Check Engine Light to read codes stored in memory.

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
no, 24V 164 requires a non OBD tester. Do a search here for Marelli tester and you will find a treasure trove of info including some great work by Pinino on making a PC communicate with the Motronic brain
Thanks
downloaded Alfaobd and emailed them for latest see if there is a latest.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I asked mechanic what code it was flashing and he said check oxygen sensor code. He said there is one other remedy he has not tried. It involves putting something similar to a washer on the oxygen sensor probe. It pulls it back slightly and the new placement makes the sensor slightly less sensitive. I am giving him a break on working on the car for a while as he spent more time on it than anticipated and is backed up on his other cars. Also, now that is is almost summer, time to turn the heater core shut off valve.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Check O2 sensor does not mean the signal from the O2 sensor is inaccurate, just that it isn't the input needed to meet emissions requirements. O2 sensors are very reliable and rarely need replacement.

That code should tell you that the mixture burning in at least one of the 6 combustion chambers is incorrect, as detected in the oxygen levels in the exhaust gas. It does not tell you anything about the O2 sensor itself.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts